Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-29-2022, 11:27 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
$45,000 Purchase Budget

Hello, we're new to the group!

For those of you that consider yourselves diesel pusher experts in today's rv market I have a couple of questions following:

My wife and I will be returning to the U.S. this coming November and will be in the market for an rv. We have been living on a yacht for the past 10 years while sailing the islands in the Pacific. The nomadic lifestyle is not new to us in planning to make the transition from yacht to rv as full timers.

We will be looking for a diesel pusher that we can purchase up to $45,000. This will allow us to have remaining money set aside for initial startup expenses and possible improvements/modifications for the rv we buy. The following are our parameters that we will be seeking while searching for an rv:

1. Diesel Pusher
2. ISL engine or CAT equivalent with minimum 1,000 pound of torque
3. 1996 to 2004 models
4. Under 150,000 miles
5. 36 – 40 foot length
6. 1 or more slides
7. On a scale of 10, the condition and upkeep being between 8 – 10
8. Preferably indoors or covered storage.
9. Used mainly as a vacation home and not full time living.
10. Good maintenance records

We will be looking for a model that would be a step up in the “pecking order” than Newmar's Dutch Star which was a very popular model for the years we are considering.

Questions: Are we being realistic with our $45,000 purchase price? Suggestion on what models would fit within our parameters and still maintain still be able to maintain our $45,000 purchase budget?
Lonnie & Bona is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2022, 11:44 PM   #2

I would say that number is pretty low for a name brand, indoor storage with a decent motor, Good luck with your search
Old 07-30-2022, 05:25 AM   #3

Same thought here, when I hear your list I think $60,000-$65,000 coach, though a lot will depend on what the economy does in the next few months, to top it off we are possibly coming off the covid camping craze, and a lot of people are concerned about what will happen with fuel prices.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 07:08 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Looking for something nicer than Dutch Star? MountainAire or Essex I think would be a stretch in your price range.

This was the least expensive MountainAir I could find.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0002.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	299.6 KB
ID:	372315
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 08:44 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/

You might want to start looking here. You will be into the older units...around 20 years old so there will be maintenance issues to consider and replacement or repair on things like, roof, tires, brakes, refrigerator, generator, etc.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 08:48 AM   #6

Rexhall Owners Group
Not sure if it's going to change, but lately used RV prices have been crazy high. Even those sold by individuals. Guess everyone has heard that it's a sellers market. Selling 10+ year old RV's for not much less than they probably paid for them. At least if they paid 25 - 30% off list. Hopefully with the high price of fuel that will change.

Been in the market for a similar Class A diesel. My price range is $100,000. I'm looking at newer units up to model year 2007 or Pre DEF. Based on what I've seen, you're not going to find much in your price range.
garyb1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 08:54 AM   #7

My initial thoughts were the price point was too low. The proof is in the pudding though.
Right now there are 21 Newmar Dutch Stars from '96 -'04 below $45k on RVTrader. The newest one is 2001. You'll have to look and decide for yourself if they are in the condition you are looking for.
Old 07-30-2022, 09:00 AM   #8

I don't think you can get the coach you want in the condition you want for $45,000. Maybe that was possible 2 years ago, but with new prices escalating like they have, good clean used units have increased in value too. My 2013 Bus listed for $438,000 nine years ago and is over $600,000 now. It's worth 10% more today than it was two years ago. All that might change in a year if many of the RVs purchased and financed in the pandemic get foreclosed on and flood the market with used.
Crasher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 09:19 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Gona be tough to find anything in decent condition in that price range, let alone a high end coach.

I have a 2006 Winnebago Journey 39K with 76k miles. In July 2020 I found a private owner, well cared for, a farmer who's yard, house and machinery were spotless (a good indication of how they cared for the coach) and kept it in his shed all summer. Only drove it to Arizona for the winter, then home in the spring. The asking was $70k. Settled on $65. While at the factory service center this spring (yes it has been factory serviced since new) a guy looking to upgrade offed me $85k. And yes I have kept up on all the maintenance and it is in very nice coindition.

While contemplating a $20k profit I started searching. The best I could come up with was a 2000 HR Endeavor with 100K miles on it, needed tires and batteries and was in good condition otherwise for $45k.

Since you know the nomad lifestyle, and living on a boat requires lots of maintenance, you should understand. You probably should up your budget to about $100k between purchase and work you will want to do right away. For 40k your going to get a 22-year-old Winnebago that has had no upgrades and is in average to above average condition.

Sorry to burst your bubble. Maybe stay on the boat another couple years and see if the Covid induced prices of RV settles down.
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 09:26 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Anything is possible. Is your list a wish or must have type of thing. Buying from a private seller you might be maintenance records, buying from a RV dealer I doubt you'll see them.

Keeping money in reserve is a good idea not only of upgrades etc but for big problems.

A lot will depend on the economy as others have mentioned. We bought ours during the great recession. Bought it in late 2008 and paid ~1/2 what NDAD listed if for.

I've been keeping track of what is listed on Craigslist in my area. In the past when I used the search word "Monaco" dozens of coaches would pop up. Today there are only 2 in nearby areas. For a while nothing would come up. So the market is still tight
But with the economy and uncertainty in the future people may decide to hang it up and sell.

If you have time to look you might get lucky. We were actually looking for several years and honed our knowledge during that time figuring out what we liked and didn't like. Just got lucky when we found ours, we happened to be in Florida when we saw an Ebay listing. Couldn't believe the asking price and the condition. I could not find anything wrong but there were no maintenance records but the coach looked great and I got the sense it was taken care of. Didn't buy it that day, went home and thought about it for a couple days and then called an made an offer which was accepted. Flew back down to FL and drove it back.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 10:19 AM   #11

Very unlikely at that price point, particularly if you are on a timeline. I spent two years looking for what I wanted and found something I liked about 30% less than that, but a bit lower on the "quality" spectrum. It is possible, but you are going to have to sift through a lot of problem coaches to find what you want. Note that I had to spend about half of that 30% less on misc. stuff like new tires, filters, belts and hoses, etc. which was completely expected when you buy a coach that old.
Old 07-30-2022, 11:29 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
In terms of the Newmar “higher-end” coaches you want to avoid or at least negotiate a deep discount if it has the Eplex system. These systems are proprietary and when they break you either will spend a lot of money for parts to repair or, alternately, you will pay a lot of money to replace Eplex with some other way to control the systems. Eplex is the only control for the 3 A/C + heat pumps, the Inverter/Charger, the tank monitors, the EMS, the water pump, AGS, etc. Newmar generally did not install any other backup controls.
Eplex parts are very expensive and I only know of one source for parts and repair service.
Archer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 02:58 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

I think you can find a pre-2000 coach with one slide for around that price. Whether it meets any of the other criteria is a matter of luck and your willingness to search long & far. Coaches like that are scarce at any price.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 04:15 PM   #14

maybe

Be patient now is not a good time , prime RV season. By November there may be more choices at a reasonable price.

Tags
purchase