Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-01-2020, 03:52 PM   #29
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper2020 View Post
Choose your length by where you want to spend time.
The above statement is really the most accurate way to judge what you should buy.

You can argue all day long about what length is best, but it's a PERSONAL choice. I could brag about parking in a dirt road turnout with a VW Vanagon, but I have NO interest in RVing in a Vanagon, yet some may be perfectly happy with that.

I see that this post veered off into fueling. I will say that I avoided truck stops like the plague for the past 17 years. The reason I avoided them, was the high prices, dirty islands and truckers blocking the lanes for 20-30 minutes. My rig with toad, is 65' long. I've always been very comfortable in gauging a station and determining if I can get in and out easily. In my opinion....those that use truck stops because of their large lanes are not as comfortable negotiating their rig through tighter situations. That's fine, and they should do what makes them comfortable. I just wasn't willing to pay .25 - .30 cents more per gallon for that privilege.

With that said, I do have the TSD Fuel card and when there is a truck stop that corresponds to my fuel needs, I will use them. On our last trip, (2300 miles) only two truck stops out of five fuel stops, worked for us. We only use TA and Petro, as I can get a larger discount with my PenFed credit card (5%) at a regular station, like a Chevron or Maverick. Loves are nice and have a ton of new stations, but they're only giving about .5 cents off per gallon with TSD.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2020, 04:03 PM   #30

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Big rig parking

We have a 43'10" Dutch Star motor home. Are experience is that most parks can handle the big rigs. Never stayed in a National Park but that is were you would run into a parking problem. Newer parks and renovated parks are building there location to accommodate big rigs with 50 amp electric hookup. Most if not all park guides will tell you what the park/resort size rigs they can handle. Go big be comfortable. Hope this helps you.
dseich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 04:11 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivylog View Post
I do not like getting had ever since Pilot bought FlyJ... maybe you don’t mind getting had for the last 10 years. I’ve save $500+/year...$5,000+ while you’ve been screwed over the last 10 years. I can still beat the TSD discount (a new program which I have) and I pay with a credit card earning 5% more. By the time I clean the windshield and do a walk around the slower pumps are not a problem...I often use 2 pumps at the same time. Helps that I have a 850 mile range and I usually know where the best prices are before I leave on a trip and it’s not at a truck stop.

PS: I stopped watching baseball in 1972 when the overpaid players went on strike...the first time.
How, pray tell, do you beat the TSD discount, which is typically .50/gal for me??
boogiejack75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 04:14 PM   #32

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pduggs View Post
Wow! That’s great. Can you please tell me what truck stop you used?

I had been using Loves, but heard on this forum they no longer grant big discounts to TDS cardholders.
Petro or TA currently have the best discounts
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 04:16 PM   #33

Not a motorhome...

I have a 43' Fifth Wheel.
A lot of the back-in slots are 40', and CG doesn't allow overhanging the grass. Same CGs are more than willing to put me into a "premium" pull-up
(run hoses under trailer) or a pull-through. Both typically demand much more money.

Lots that are 50' are also sometimes withheld from me as there is no parking for the pickup.

I have started googling potential RV parks on Google Maps using satellite views before I contact.
Krbjmpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 05:15 PM   #34

I wished I had a 45’ I would deal with all the “inconveniences” of a long coach

Zzotte
Old 11-01-2020, 05:18 PM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogiejack75 View Post
How, pray tell, do you beat the TSD discount, which is typically .50/gal for me??
Easy...Post 26 explained it using GasBuddy and a 5% back credit card. Your 50 cents savings is from an inflated price.

I usually fill up in Ft Pierce, FL before parking for the winter. Currently the TSD price is $2.29 but Sam’s is $1.83 or a Murphy is $1.79 plus another 9 cents using the Sam’s credit card.

The best TSD price in all of FL is $1.78 plus their fees (south of Gainesville) BUT the Ocala Sam’s is $1.75 less 9 cents. I find Sam’s usually has the best price (or almost) and are usually fairly easy to access.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 06:41 PM   #36

45 ft coach with 23 ft trailer for toad. No issues in 4 years of travel coast to coast. We just plan our trips ahead of time.
Scottbye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 07:24 PM   #37

We moved from a 45' Featherlite bus conversion to a 40' Newmar DP because of our experiences in western Canada and Alaska and we anticipate an extended stay in eastern Canada. In Jasper, AB it took us almost an hour to park in our assigned spot, 4" from a concrete picnic table on one side and about 12" on the other to get enough room to open front slide. Not many campgrounds in the more remote locations of Alaska can accommodate a 45' RV, we were parked in parking lots, on the water front and had to go back to the CG for water or to dump. We learned to drive slowly past a rest area to assess whether we fit, more than once we had to disconnect the towed to get out of a rest area. The most interesting rest area ended in a river and we had to disconnect and back out because of the slope on either side of the side of the road did not allow us to turn around.

Older CG's in the US may not have long enough sites or the roads are to narrow to comfortably maneuver but we just go down the road. State and Federal CG's can be problematic for RV's longer than 32 to 36 foot. Check the CG's around popular National Parks you will find length restrictions.

Bottom line is to realize limitations and decide what you can live with.
augerdogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 07:48 PM   #38

Try Google Maps and Google Earth and with the satellite view you can almost always check out any Park, fuel stop, grocery store etc. in advance so you know what you are getting into ahead of time. Taking your time and not being afraid to pass up your first pick at a fuel stop for one with easier access always helps. We have a 45’ Tiffin but also tow a 22’ enclosed car trailer. I’ve towed long enclosed snowmobile and motorcycle trailers my whole life and even those with a pickup or Ford Excursion were 55’ plus. Just look before you commit to pulling in and again use the technology available to “see” places ahead of time. We have avoided numerous campgrounds or planned out our routes in and out ahead of time with satellite views. Very helpful.
dvredc5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 07:52 PM   #39

i have never driven a large bus style class A rv. but as a commercial driver for 40 years i have driven and pulled many many different combos here.
sure long loads/ rvs can be a problem, but when you get used to it, and learn to drive it safety you will be amazed where you can get in and out of.

i never trust a spotter, they get in my way.
but if you have a wife and she can use a two way radio, and both of you know and understand each other than that could work.
best is “ get out and look”. number of times as needed. better to look like a fool, then to prove it.
packnrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 07:58 PM   #40

We don't have a 45, just a 42'. We also tow a f 150. Driving it isn't a problem at all on most roads but we try to plan where we stop. We eat at Cracker Barrel at off times or at truck stops or if things really get bad we eat our own cooking at a truck stop. Another possibility is to find something near a big box store. We always plan our campgrounds , mostly KOA's so that isn't a problem. Planing is the key to keeping things easy.
Maytonr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 08:44 PM   #41

We are 45ft and had a few times where we could not get into park we wanted due to length. Sometimes park did not have spot large enough others large spots were occupied. We did manage to get a spot not too far away but once it was about 30 min longer drive and horrid area where we wound up. (Denver)

Also some places make for hard turns esp. towing without ability to backup without unhooking. A few campgrounds also really don't have turn area for longer coaches.

Still all in all 45ft worth it esp. if you are in your coach a lot.
Old 11-01-2020, 09:02 PM   #42

We just bought a 45’, after having a 37’. Biggest difference is measuring the extra length in turns (with a tag axle), and backing up. When we search for an RV park, we always ask if theY can comfortably accommodate a 45’ coach. Always be sure to mention your size.
Bubbawink is offline   Reply With Quote