RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2020, 07:31 PM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
45 footers

For those of you who own 45 foot coaches what challenges do you encounter? Do you find it difficult to find campgrounds to fit your bus? I'm sure there are dozen other questions and more that I can't think of. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2020, 07:59 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Not 45' but my coach is 43' and we crossed the country from Florida to Washington state and had no problem finding spots during our 3 week trip. We had a favorite private camp ground that can't take anything over 40 but we found another close by that is just as nice.
I'm comfortable driving a large coach and all the extra room is a big plus worth the chance of being turned away some day.
chuckftboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 08:01 PM   #3

We have had our coach for 2 years and have had one challenge. Since ours is a super C it can not make tight corners. Other than that, we rarely have issues getting into or out of campgrounds. Of course, we don't go to smaller campgrounds and usually look for larger sites. The plusses far outweigh the one downside.
bhammond1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 08:09 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
My previous coach was 43' and my current one is 45'. I have not had any problems getting into campgrounds. I'm sure some of the older ones may have size limits and their roads may not be ideal for large MHs. However, newer CGs have made accommodations for the larger motorhomes. Some of the national and state parks have size issues, but we are flexible and find a nearby CG that can be used. I rarely have driving issues with my MH even in cities.
Old 10-22-2020, 09:24 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
20 years ago I listen to the posts that 36’ was longest for public CGs...bought a 36’ DP. As you can see below it didn’t take long to learn that’s not true costing me a fair amount of money. In the summer we stay in mainly public CGs...yes, it’s harder with a big rig but not impossible and easier in recent years... the internet. Even this past summer with more RVs we did our normal no reservations trip out West without problems finding sites for 2 big rigs.

I use GasBuddy and have not used a truck stop in 10 years, but I’ve been driving big things all my life. Same with CGs, takes some careful maneuvering sometimes.
Old 10-22-2020, 10:08 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I have a 35’ and it barley fits in a lot of the camp grounds I like to use. I just depends on your camping style and preferences. I’m sure I could make a bigger rig work for me but I couldn’t take one to some of places I’ve been to in the last few months.

But something to consider, and something I’d like to experience, is a passive steer tag. Granted wheel base is longer, but with the tag helping steer, I would guess maneuvering is greatly enhanced. I’ll test drive a coach with a passive steer tag one of these days to find out, because I’m sure at some point I’ll be ready for a bigger coach. Right now I’m enjoying “the short bus”.
Old 10-23-2020, 06:16 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
There are some parks we canít get into because sites are too small or the roads into the park are too narrow and have low hanging tree limbs. We like to boondock but our size prevents us from getting into the wild too deep. That said, weíve learned to handle this and still enjoy ourselves. The advantages of living full time in a big coach, far outweigh the disadvantages of entry into some parks.
pduggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 07:26 AM   #8

We are 43' and travel 4-6 months a year all around the country. Some places, especially in the northeast can be challenging but we've always found a place. We usually plan our trips well in advance. so we know where we are going and can make arrangements. This summer was a bit different as we changed our plans towards the end of summer due to covid and we just winged it for a few weeks. No issues.
Old 10-23-2020, 08:39 AM   #9

We started with a 36', then 40', and for the last 5 years a 43'11" coach. I've not been turned away even once with the longer length. But we are typically drawn to big rig friendly FHU CG's anyway. My advise is to choose the size of your coach from the inside out not the other way around.
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 09:03 AM   #10

Choose your length by where you want to spend time. When full timing being longer is nice but not really essential. We never had a problem finding a site we could get into but you can not get into a lot of state and national parks. We down sized because at this stage of life we no longer fulltime and wanted to get back into national parks. Longer rigs are not that hard to drive. Just figure out how you want to use rig then find interior you like. Safe travels

Enjoy the journey
Old 10-23-2020, 03:50 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivylog View Post
20 years ago I listen to the posts that 36í was longest for public CGs...bought a 36í DP. As you can see below it didnít take long to learn thatís not true costing me a fair amount of money. In the summer we stay in mainly public CGs...yes, itís harder with a big rig but not impossible and easier in recent years... the internet. Even this past summer with more RVs we did our normal no reservations trip out West without problems finding sites for 2 big rigs.

I use GasBuddy and have not used a truck stop in 10 years, but Iíve been driving big things all my life. Same with CGs, takes some careful maneuvering sometimes.
Why do you avoid truck stops? The pumps are way faster and fleet discounts can be had.
Shutterbug57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 05:07 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
We have not had an issue other than as some have posted, some of the older campgrounds. We full time and wouldn't give up our 45 footer for anything. It's a personal choice of course.
brandss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 05:57 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Wold View Post
I have a 35í and it barley fits in a lot of the camp grounds I like to use. I just depends on your camping style and preferences. Iím sure I could make a bigger rig work for me but I couldnít take one to some of places Iíve been to in the last few months.

But something to consider, and something Iíd like to experience, is a passive steer tag. Granted wheel base is longer, but with the tag helping steer, I would guess maneuvering is greatly enhanced. Iíll test drive a coach with a passive steer tag one of these days to find out, because Iím sure at some point Iíll be ready for a bigger coach. Right now Iím enjoying ďthe short busĒ.
I have a 45' Tiffin with the passive steer tag and it has a tight turning radius. We have a friend with a 42' Holiday Rambler, no tag and my turning radius is tighter than his. I know because we used the same CG with a dump station circular drive. He has to turn, back up and turn again. I can make the circle without the tires even leaving the pavement and not backing up.

To the OP, we've only had a couple of issues in the almost two years we've owned it and those were when we tried CG's which were almost full when we called. Both had spots we could fit in but they were already taken. The only other issue might be having to make tighter turns in smaller parks, 90 degree corners, etc. I've stayed in a couple of parks who had sites where my MH fit but no room on either end to park a vehicle. Most parks have sites big enough to park a 45 footer, but no room to spare, although they'll say they don't have any. Think about it this way, take 45 ft. and subtract an average coach length of 34-38 feet and that leaves 7-11 feet extra you need. then think of how many places you've stayed who had that much more room at least; it's doable MOST of the time. Happy trails!
Old 10-23-2020, 07:19 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutterbug57 View Post
Why do you avoid truck stops? The pumps are way faster and fleet discounts can be had.
I do not like getting had ever since Pilot bought FlyJ... maybe you don’t mind getting had for the last 10 years. I’ve save $500+/year...$5,000+ while you’ve been screwed over the last 10 years. I can still beat the TSD discount (a new program which I have) and I pay with a credit card earning 5% more. By the time I clean the windshield and do a walk around the slower pumps are not a problem...I often use 2 pumps at the same time. Helps that I have a 850 mile range and I usually know where the best prices are before I leave on a trip and it’s not at a truck stop.

PS: I stopped watching baseball in 1972 when the overpaid players went on strike...the first time.