Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-11-2011, 03:17 PM   #15
a k

Newmar Owners Club
The extra 5 foot is just more storage space for HER crap.
a k is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2011, 03:55 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
I can count on one hand over the past 4 years the number of times we were in tight spots or had to disconnect the toad. And we have been in CGs north, south, east, & west.

Go for 45.

Dave
Old 02-11-2011, 03:59 PM   #17
a k

Newmar Owners Club
I can. Mounted a 8"pole in Rapid City. $5000
a k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 04:14 PM   #18

On the east coast I seem to recall several parks that had a 40 foot limit. Based on some CGs we've been to that state they are Big Rig friendly, I wouldn't attempt at any that had a stated limit of 40 feet. Making some turns in a CG can be a challenge.

We wanted the space of a 40-footer and a tag axle. So, we have a 42-footer. The extra weight capacity and driving comfort are a plus with a tag.

I believe CA limits MOST of their roads to RVs that are 40 feet or less. Oh well, there are 48 other states to explore :-)

As others have pointed out 50A service may not be available, especially in state parks. That's not a length limit, but may be an indicator of small sites and/or tight roads.

No regrets here for exceeding 40 feet and I don't really think the fuel mileage difference, if there is any, should weigh in on your decision. BTW, the HP you have available doesn't really drive fuel mileage, HP used does.

Gil
2008 Beaver Contessa 42
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 04:21 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We camp in California State Parks once a month and has been mentioned before, they don't allow over 32 ft. We tell them ours is 32 and they never question our 34.9 coach nor my sons 36. For us our 34.9 is very adequate. We travel alot but don't spend more than three months at a time in it at a time. One thing about the shorter coach is that the engine in ours is the same as the 40 foot coaches which gives it great performance, if that matters.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 05:33 PM   #20

Just aboutall of 45' MHs use the ISM-500, the Cat C-15, the Cummins ISX-600 or the Detroit Series 60 motors. These motors all have a B50 longevity rating of a million plus miles which is way above all the other motors used. If you compare a 42' to a 45' MH you will see the extra length shows up in the bedroom and the livingroom area. I am real happy I bought my longer MH and would do it again in a flash.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 05:47 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Hi,

I agree with all that has ben said and that it all depends where you want to camp. Resorts are pricey to say the least and you would definitely not be able to manever in a lot of campgrounds. I think your best bet if you buy a 45' would be Wal-Mart or truck stops.

The main concern I have though, your name stated that you were a Newbie. Does that mean you are new to motorhomes? If so I wouldn't hop in a 45' motorhome with a toad and drive it. If you do please let me know so I'll be off the road.

Another thing do you intend to fulltime in it? If you do then fine if not what a waste as you really wouldn't need all that room. We are 2 people and do just great in a 33 footer in fact we drove to Alaska and back with it and did just fine.

Lastly take one out to drive it before you buy it and remember 45' is a lot rto turn around some rural streets..

Good Luck
Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote