Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-28-2020, 07:12 PM   #1

5 Star Tune

I understand there may alternatives to the 5 star tune. I have read about the 5 star but am trying to decide 1) if it will enhance my experience 2) if it’s the best option 3) how and where one would have it done.

Thanks in advance
Dave
KAMPURR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2020, 07:20 PM   #2

You can also check our Ultra RV Products tune. Some have done comparative evaluations.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 07:27 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAMPURR View Post
I understand there may alternatives to the 5 star tune. I have read about the 5 star but am trying to decide 1) if it will enhance my experience 2) if it’s the best option 3) how and where one would have it done.

Thanks in advance
Dave
they send it to you you do it your self but they will help walk you through it very ez. Just call them. Mike is great.

DREAMER
FMCA 200924
push toy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 09:46 PM   #4

Installing the 5 Star Tune is incredibly simple.

Just plug it in and the screen tells you what to do.
Old 03-28-2020, 11:19 PM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Apparently some threads have been lost on IRV2. There used to be a good thread about tunners in general. By a guy that did tuning for race cars. In a nut shell . Tunners are so controlled by the government, that real tunning can't be done. The tunners are set to give wide open throttle sooner which gives the feeling of more power. They do change the shift patterns of the transmission. Which some members liked. But all in all what I got out of it was current off the shelf tunners are snake oil. If I find the thread I'll post the link.
nvs4602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 12:27 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
All I can say is with the 5 Star Tune installed, it would hold gear longer and not due the hunting that you would normally get when traveling up and down hills. I mean just little hills it would hunt or down shift way too soon. It gives you a much better feel of control over what is happening. MPG's did not change.
Old 03-30-2020, 04:39 AM   #7

If nothing else, it seems pretty evident that the 5 Star Tune does change the shifting points of the transmission and a vast number of owners report being pleased with the results. I'm one of those owners.

There is the factor or whether your rig has the 4, 5 or 6 speed transmission. The largest percent of reviewers have been owners of the 4 and 5 speed transmissions. But even owners of the newer 6 speed transmissions have posted favorable results.

Personally, I think the reason to buy the 5 Star Tune is the modification to the transmission shifting points. I wouldn't buy it thinking that my fuel mileage would be better or that it's going to make a huge difference in power aside from how the vehicle will perform as it shifts through the gears when you are accelerating from a low speed.

I do feel that my rig accelerates a bit faster when if I really "put the petal to the metal" when I need to such as merging onto a highway where the merge lane is on the short side.

Just my opinion, and I'm not one to do a lot of testing. I saved a few bucks by buying a used tuner that had been purchased for a 5 speed, I installed it and haven't messed with it since then.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 08:17 PM   #8

How would I find a phone number. Better yet, how do I access advertisers on the forum
KAMPURR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 08:40 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAMPURR View Post
How would I find a phone number. Better yet, how do I access advertisers on the forum
Are you asking where to buy the 5 star tune?
Old 03-30-2020, 08:43 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT7 Jim View Post
Are you asking where to buy the 5 star tune?
If that's what you're asking here is a link. Phone number is at top.

https://5startuning.com/product/irv2/
Old 03-30-2020, 10:27 PM   #11

I installed the Ultra tune just before an 1800 mile trip. All I can say is, WOW! I wasn't looking for throttle response, I wanted the transmission to stop hunting gears every time a hill appeared on the horizon. Problem solved. Also, no longer downshifts two gears instead of one. As a bonus, my MPG went up about .5. That's a significant increase when you're getting 8 mpg.
Glennabbott1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 07:33 AM   #12

i guess they both do almost the same thing.. the first tune that 5 star sent me was great but i wanted a little more torque so i could use my cruse more. they emailed me a second tune and got just what i wanted and about .5 mpg more because it wasnt dropping gears on bigger hills. iam very happy with it and a lot less engine noise

DREAMER
FMCA 200924
push toy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 08:15 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Seems most folks use the "5 Star Tune". And most are happy with it.

Another option out there is the "Ford Ultratune" from Ultra RV.
Explore the website and look at the graphs for the performance improvements.

After reviewing both, I bought the Ultra RV "Ford Ultratune", and am extremely happy with it. The performance, the shifting point improvements, the significant lack of "downshifting" on hills, & when towing, has been quite impressive!

Below is a link: check it out before you buy, then make your own decision!

https://www.ultrarvproducts.com/Ultr...tom-Tuning-V10
Jabber Jaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 11:33 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvs4602 View Post
Apparently some threads have been lost on IRV2. There used to be a good thread about tunners in general. By a guy that did tuning for race cars. In a nut shell . Tunners are so controlled by the government, that real tunning can't be done. The tunners are set to give wide open throttle sooner which gives the feeling of more power. They do change the shift patterns of the transmission. Which some members liked. But all in all what I got out of it was current off the shelf tunners are snake oil. If I find the thread I'll post the link.
They won't ship the 5Star to CA. I installed mine after six months of driving my rig. It has increased HP and torque. The dyno results are on their website and they stand by them. Before my rig would down shift and rev up on an overpass at highway speeds losing a min of 5 mph. Now it stays in 6th gear and growls and maintains set cruise speed. Is it my imagination? With hundreds of thousands of miles of RV experience in all kinds of different rigs I know what increased power is. And I know how to read a dyno test that shows marked increases in power and torque at lower RPM.