Originally Posted by mr.tommy
We stayed in Maine this whole summer on my brother-in-laws property. We have a 50amp coach. I plugged into one of his 15amp garage wall outlets with a heavy duty extension cord, then used a 15amp-50amp dogbone to plug the coach power cord into. I also have a PI hard wired EMS. We lived all summer on 15amps. Up there in Maine during the summer you don't need any AC. Well we did need it 2 days but then I just started the generator. But the rest of the time we just managed our electrical usage by just turning on one large appliance—like the microwave—or two small ones at a time. A few times we would forget and turn on too much stuff and it would trip the breaker in the garage. I'd just reset the breaker and go back to using less items in the coach. Worked just fine all summer. We've done this for 2 summers. You just have to be watchful and manage your electrical usage.
I do this on occasion at home and all the time visiting relatives or friends (15/20amps)
We have 20 / 30 / 50 amp services at home. Occasionally; even at home when I know we will not need or use the 2nd AC, I will bring out my heavy duty extension cord (20 amps for me at home). I do so for convenience at home as it is very easy to run the extension cord to the electrical bay. I also may go weeks at a time with no electrical hookup. Here I am just giving my generator practice to turn itself on if batteries go low, but unless I leave something on, it is rare because if everything is off, and Use switch is on, I have yet to see the batteries drain down. Of course I would turn the use switch off if in true storage, but since it is home , I tend to go in and out for some reasons.