Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-28-2020, 04:34 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biljol View Post
The 30amp 240 v is not an RV plug it’s a household 30 amp “dryer” plug but you would be surprised how many of them I have seen at rv parks.

Mis-wiring a 120-volt RV outlet with 240-volts - No~Shock~Zone

I think they have electricians that don’t know the difference or what they are doing maybe as the link shows happens to many people. The link is a good read for anyone new to rv’s.
They have DIY maintenance men who THINK they are electricians.

FYI, you can not plug a 30 amp RV into a 30 amp dryer outlet without the use of a big hammer!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2020, 08:02 AM   #30

I can tell you from more experiences than I care to remember that having a modern, all-electric Coach plugged into 30 amps is not fun. Less than half the power available from our Generator. It negates the benefits of having a nice rig. It's OK for one overnight stay in conditions that are not too hot, but I'd still rather be on generator power if I could. It's nice to be able to cook, have hot water and air conditioning at the same time.

An even bigger pain in the a$$ is when there are fluctuating high or low voltage issues, constantly tripping the progressive surge protector and firing up the generator. We have experienced this in quite a few locations over the past 2 1/2 years full timing it. One place said, " Oh we get people who have this problem all the time. We just tell them to unplug the surge protector and everything is fine".
Old 10-28-2020, 08:12 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
They have DIY maintenance men who THINK they are electricians.

FYI, you can not plug a 30 amp RV into a 30 amp dryer outlet without the use of a big hammer!
Combining those two thoughts, what happens at houses is someone who thinks they are an electrician installs a RV 30 amp outlet in an existing 30 amp 240 volt outlet. They see 30 amps, they see three prongs and they think all that is needed is a different shape outlet.
Goodspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 08:21 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post
Combining those two thoughts, what happens at houses is someone who thinks they are an electrician installs a RV 30 amp outlet in an existing 30 amp 240 volt outlet. They see 30 amps, they see three prongs and they think all that is needed is a different shape outlet.
They will need to do some repairs on the RV right after plugging it in.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 08:23 AM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks

Great information I really appreciate it and will use the data provided.
PapaBrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 02:40 PM   #34

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
With 30amp, don't try using the AC, microwave, and a Ninja Air Fryer at the same time. The breaker at the post tripped. I only have 1 AC. I forgot that I did not hook up with the 50amp.
Tax_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 03:27 PM   #35

IMHO with 30 amp service you lose one a/c unit.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 03:18 PM   #36

Send a message via AIM to Our05Winneba
You did not say what year your coach is, nor if it has the basement A/C or rooftop units.

We live in our 2005 Winnebago - 50 amp service and has basement A/C.
Can run the A/C - Heat pump on either 30 or 50 amp - though 50 amp service works better (dual compressors in basement unit). When on 30amp (using shore cable adapter) just have to be careful about running other devices such as microwave or electric water heater at the same time as you will trip the breaker. But for us it is no big deal as we rarely have to use the basement heat pump much.
Our05Winneba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 04:45 PM   #37

Newmar Owners Club
We have a Neumar DP with 50 amp service. Guessing 75% of the time we are plugged into 30 amp. Not because we want to, just most of the campgrounds we use are older and most only have 30 amp. A couple have limited 50 amp so we generally leave them for people that really need it or think they do. Never a problem just can't run both ACs. Stays cool just fine with 1 AC. Only issue we have ever had was at the KOA south of Colorado Springs, (just outside FT Carson). Even though we had a reservation they did not have any 50 amp sights available. They refused to give us a 30 amp site. Said if we used to much power (like both ACs) it would "blow out there post". We where sent back on the road at 7pm. A park we have stayed at dozens of times before but never again. If post is properly installed / wired it will trip the breaker (as advertised) not "blow out" the post.
Kountry_star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 05:07 PM   #38

Our all electric coach works just fine on 30 amp. And yes there are many 30 amp camp grounds out there.
pogoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 05:17 PM   #39

Exactly.
jim dejarnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 07:46 PM   #40

We have had all electric RV's since 2001 and have used both 50 and 30 amp service. The 1st 2 did not have EMS and we had to be careful. The 2nd RV had 2 4kW inverters and supplemented 30A service when necessary. The last 2 have had EMS and I plug-in and let it do it's thing. I do have to inform the EMS whether I have 30A or 50A. Don't you love technology.
augerdogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 07:54 PM   #41

30 vs 50 amp

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBrer View Post
Hi All,

Another newbie question, I have an Itasca 37F. It has a 50 AMP service for incoming power and most of the time I have been reserving campsites
The biggest issue will be the AC, usually can 0nly run one at a time (exceptions do exist). Other high current devices will total out 30 amps fairly quick. But that does not mean it cannot be done half the time we only have 30 amps available, just pay attention to the loading. Heck we spent a four day holiday weekend in the summer on a single 15 amp receptacle
BruceDeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 08:27 PM   #42

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
50 amp surge protector

Need help I’ve been told it’s a good idea to have a good surge protector however when I look at them I find the price varies from under 100.00 to over 400.00 can anyone tell me the difference. Thanks
Lockman1958 is offline   Reply With Quote