Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-18-2017, 04:24 PM   #1

50 amp all-weather box suggestion?

I finally got a 50 amp line run to the RV. Had both AC's on and the voltage to the rig stayed at 122v. Now I can set up for trips, cool down the coach, run the fridge and AC overnight and pack it up without breaking a sweat or running the generator and disturbing the neighbors.

The contractor used a very small box, though, and it doesn't close all the way when I'm plugged-in. I'll get a bigger box, but otherwise, It's really convenient! I no longer have to daisy-chain my dogbanes down to a 20amp plug.

The guys did it in one day, including a 90+ foot trench from the box to the driveway , running the conduit and putting in a post, etc.

I am happy - anyone have a really good all-weather box suggestion?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2017, 04:44 PM   #2

Just Google "RV Pedestal Box", you'll get lots of choices
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 04:54 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I bought an RV Box from Home Depot last year in anticipation of building a new house and wanting it installed on the temporary pole so I could park the coach there while I do the wiring/plumbing etc. The box cover is open at the bottom and hinges up to protect the plugs from moisture etc. The cost was ~$150. The box has a 50, 30, and 20 amp circuit just like you'd see at an RV park.

I wired the box & temporary pole myself and when the inspector came out approve it he asked what the box was for. I told him so I could plug in my RV, he only asked what size wires I used to connect to the temp meter.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 04:14 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
I am looking to do the same set up. Do you mind me asking what the job cost? You mentioned 90 ft of conduit but How long was the total length of the wire from your panel box to the pedestal? Thanks
Old 05-19-2017, 05:21 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
GE 100 Amp 3-Space 3-Circuit 240-Volt Unmetered RV Outlet Box with 50/30/20 Amp GCFI Circuit Protected Receptacles-GE1LU532SS - The Home Depot

That's the box I installed. Very simple to wire and the cover closes with the power cord plugged in.
It has a 30 amp outlet also so if company shows up you can both plug in as we did last year when a friend came to visit.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 05:29 AM   #6

When you go with a 50, 30 and 20 amp outlets, don't you need a 80 or 100 amp supply line run ?

You have the potential of drawing 80 amps from 1 leg, if sharing the 50 and 30 amp outlets.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 05:39 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I purchased two Eaton 50 amp boxes from Lowe's which were about $28 each. I installed one in the rear of my property and one under my RV Port parking area.

The rear has about 80 feet of wire underground in conduit and the second box has about 50 feet of wire in conduit mounted to the entrance deck and then down the concrete pillar to the box.

Here is the LINK to the boxes I chose to use.

I didn't need additional power or outlets as they are readily available at various places on the outside of my house and garage.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 06:58 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manzfam View Post
I am looking to do the same set up. Do you mind me asking what the job cost? You mentioned 90 ft of conduit but How long was the total length of the wire from your panel box to the pedestal? Thanks
Just under $2600. I tried to get 2 others to bid on the job, the first wasn't interested, the 2nd told me to look up the code and he'd work up a bid (not interested). The guys that did it were great, polite, thorough and wired it correctly. 90 ft of conduit, up and through the wall to the breaker box (about 6 ft) and up the pole to the box and a cutoff switch about 3 feet (breakers are in the basement - better for shutting down while I'm gone to prevent tampering). I had the blade switch added so I could plug in and then turn on the power.

good luck.
Old 05-20-2017, 06:57 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-Oh View Post
Just under $2600. I tried to get 2 others to bid on the job, the first wasn't interested, the 2nd told me to look up the code and he'd work up a bid (not interested). The guys that did it were great, polite, thorough and wired it correctly. 90 ft of conduit, up and through the wall to the breaker box (about 6 ft) and up the pole to the box and a cutoff switch about 3 feet (breakers are in the basement - better for shutting down while I'm gone to prevent tampering). I had the blade switch added so I could plug in and then turn on the power.

good luck.
I did almost exactly the same thing myself. It saved some money but the wire is still a big part of the cost. I mounted a 50-30-20 panel, like Arch posted, to one of the columns of my RV port
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0550.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	163.4 KB
ID:	162384  
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 09:21 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
When I installed my 50 amp I also installed a $30 box from Lowes not realizing until the job was complete that it was to small to close the lid. Since my use of the outlet was usually just for a few days preparing for a trip and not wanting to change out the box and pole for a larger much more expensive one, I just put a bucket over the box to protect it from rain when in use. OK, call me cheap.
Old 05-20-2017, 06:12 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
The l
Old 05-20-2017, 10:56 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDPD View Post
When I installed my 50 amp I also installed a $30 box from Lowes not realizing until the job was complete that it was to small to close the lid. Since my use of the outlet was usually just for a few days preparing for a trip and not wanting to change out the box and pole for a larger much more expensive one, I just put a bucket over the box to protect it from rain when in use. OK, call me cheap.
I'd call you Creative!!
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 05:11 AM   #13

I went to Home Depot to pick up a bigger box, like the ones recommended earlier in the post. 3 in stock on the web page. None at the store. Ordered on line at Amazon. I guess I could've just picked up a big bucket....
Old 05-21-2017, 05:31 AM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDPD View Post
I installed the same box on the end of my garage. I keep my coach plugged in when we are at home. Rain, sleet, sun or snow the cover will shed the elements from the plug. If you want larger build a birdhouse type enclosure around it. Why spend all the extra money and the enclosure can make your post attractive.
Oldman5145 is offline   Reply With Quote