RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-30-2020, 06:23 PM   #1

50 amp coach at 30 amp site

Pulled into a state park, hooked up, and knew we would not be able to use all 3 AC's. We can only use 1 so we rotate throughout the coach. Finally have mid 70's throughout. Was 92 today and will be for the rest of the week. We are watching what we use so the breaker does not trip. Seems the original issue was using an air purifier along with the AC. Turned off purifier and AC has been running all day. Over night we might open all windows and run ceiiing fan, hopefully we can sleep comfortably.
boomersooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2020, 06:46 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Does your new coach have an EMS system which will monitor and control the total power usage when plugged into a 30 amp plug?.
We have a system like this and if we limit all other usage it will easily run 1 AC and the 2nd on will sometimes run. Together they will usually pull ~26 amp. We will leave the fans on low so that they don't continually kick on/off. This helps reduce start load.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 06:58 PM   #3

Yes the Progressive Industries 50 amp hardwired to the coach. We were about 24 amps with one AC on high. Seems the air purifier pulls a lot, since that has been off we have had no problems.
Old 08-30-2020, 07:16 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
Does your new coach have an EMS system which will monitor and control the total power usage when plugged into a 30 amp plug?.
We have a system like this and if we limit all other usage it will easily run 1 AC and the 2nd on will sometimes run. Together they will usually pull ~26 amp. We will leave the fans on low so that they don't continually kick on/off. This helps reduce start load.
Same here. Make sure other current draws are off, like the engine block heater. If we do accidentally go over the 30 amp the EMC will shut down various items to maintain current use under 30 amps.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 07:25 PM   #5

Perhaps cycle the generator and all 3 a/c units until quiet time.
Old 08-30-2020, 07:35 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
We have never found the need to use it but the previous owner of our coach installed a outlet that the bedroom AC plugs into. If I wanted to I could run that AC off an extension cord run through the rear window completely bypassing the coach AC system and fooling the EMS system.

This might be an option if really need to run a 2nd AC when plugged into a 30 amp plug.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 08:04 PM   #7

You should look into a company called Micro Air the purchase their soft start systems for your AC's you can run 2 AC on 30 amp service..I just install them on my coach incredible difference in the efficiency of which AC's run...microair.net or go to YouTube and put in micro air and look at some of the videos You'll Be Amazed I can't believe I didn't hear about these things more on this site I stumble upon the company in my family motor coach magazine with their smart thermostat went to their site and discovered this product.
groveln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 09:54 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by groveln View Post
You should look into a company called Micro Air the purchase their soft start systems for your AC's you can run 2 AC on 30 amp service..I just install them on my coach incredible difference in the efficiency of which AC's run...microair.net or go to YouTube and put in micro air and look at some of the videos You'll Be Amazed I can't believe I didn't hear about these things more on this site I stumble upon the company in my family motor coach magazine with their smart thermostat went to their site and discovered this product.
I took a quick look at the web site, very interesting. I may have to look further into that product.

Thanks!!
Old 08-31-2020, 10:45 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomersooner View Post
I took a quick look at the web site, very interesting. I may have to look further into that product.

Thanks!!
The easy start will assist in getting both ACs running on 30 amps, but it doesn't make them draw less amps while running.

You will need to cut back on most other high draw items, absorbsion fridge, electric water heater, microwave, coffee maker.....

With each AC drawing about 15 amps, two of them will max out the 30 amp service. If your only going to run one, you don't need to spend $400 on each AC to do that.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 11:31 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
The easy start will assist in getting both ACs running on 30 amps, but it doesn't make them draw less amps while running.

You will need to cut back on most other high draw items, absorbsion fridge, electric water heater, microwave, coffee maker.....

With each AC drawing about 15 amps, two of them will max out the 30 amp service. If your only going to run one, you don't need to spend $400 on each AC to do that.
My thoughts exactly.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 07:42 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
I can run 2 ACs on 30A fairly easily. 2 items often overlooked and not turned off are the ice maker and battery charger if it’s bulk charging. A residential refrigerator only draws 1 A so it’s not a problem. If you want to use the Microwave or make coffee you have to turn one AC off.
Old 08-31-2020, 08:00 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Learning more and more on the EMS systems,, gadgets , but needed... larger rvs.. 15K Ac units.... along with more gadgets in rv...

Running the AC on low fan and cranked full cold will get 2 to almost work on 30amp reliably.. if they are 13k or under.. compressor cycling will get you, the microstart or even a hard start helps to a point..

I have an old 15K , hardstart , just changed run cap also.. still when it is hot 97 & humid, 15-16 amps is norm.. she will settle to 13-14amps when hot sun stops beating on it.. I can safely pull 30 amps and have.. converter, microwave on standby, tv on standby, internet router and phones in.. adds only 2.1 amps when batteries are up..

I have seen 23-25A when compress cycles..on one AC.. again she is older..

2 AC 13.5 on low should live fine if they dont cycle at same moment..
can wait till I get a newer Rv with gadgets .. instead of unplug this, unplug that...
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 09:54 PM   #13

One thing we did learn, by running each AC by itself, to distribute cool air through coach is that the rear AC does not blow cold air. When it ran temps went up, turn it off and turn on mid AC and temps went down in a matter of minutes. One more thing to put on our list for our final warranty trip to Red Bay in December.

We upgraded to 3 AC's, front and rear are 15K AC/heat pump, middle one is 13.5 AC.
Old 08-31-2020, 11:24 PM   #14

Have two 15000 btu roof units, installed easy start on front unit. When on 30 amp service, set bedroom unit at 60 F and low fan, it runs all the time, front one on 73 f auto, and it cycles, no problems, but run fridge on propane and use no other heavy draw ac loads.