Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-30-2020, 05:55 PM   #1

50 amp input

Hi all, I have a 2009 35E Bounder. I have been at the same campground for nine months on 50 amp service. All of a sudden I am only getting 30 amp power into the coach. I tested the generator and it works fine. My Intelletect 50A Smart EMS Seems to be working fine and sheds loads as required on 30 amp service.
Anyone who can give me any idea as to what the problem might be would be much appreciated.
Thanks, Jim
seadogjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2020, 05:58 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Sounds to me like your pedestal lost a leg. First thing I would try is turning the breaker off then on. If that doesn't do it make sure you have power on both legs. The power cord may have gone bad.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 05:58 PM   #3

On the CG shore power pedestal turn the main breaker all the way off and back on.
Old 09-30-2020, 06:05 PM   #4

The EMS , looks at input voltages to determine if the power supply is true 50 amp . If it sees the two inputs in phase ; (same volts on each line in , continually ) it thinks you're on a 30 amp post with an adaptor .
If you can monitor what the EMS is seeing for line voltage from the power post , with no load on in the coach , if both readings L1 & L2 are the same , talk to the park about your problem .
If the input varies L1 & L2 and the EMS doesn't see it as 50 amp , then call the EMS manufacturer.
Old 09-30-2020, 06:06 PM   #5

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I have tried turning off the 50 amp breakers on the pedestal and even unplugging the power cord. My power cord is plugged into a 50 amp circuit breaker and the indicator lights do not show any issues with the power.
Old 09-30-2020, 06:15 PM   #6

I see two other members posted while I was typing , sorry for any duplication.

ANYHOW A question ,

Is your coach equipped with a power cord reel ?
Old 09-30-2020, 06:22 PM   #7

Have you switched off any circuit breakers in your panel, even unused ones.

Been a few cases where others have and it confused the load sheading device.

Washing machine breaker is a popular one.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 06:26 PM   #8

No, all breakers are on. This coach has a washer dryer so it is on as well.
Old 09-30-2020, 06:28 PM   #9

No, this coach does not have a power cord reel. The fact that my surge protector shows all power coming in is OK makes me think it is something with the Intellitec EMS. One suggestion on the forum was to turn off the external power and the battery switches for a few minutes to let the Intellitec reset.I’ll give that a try tomorrow. Thanks to all for your help.
Old 09-30-2020, 06:42 PM   #10

OK , we'll be watching for any more input , following your re-set .
Old 09-30-2020, 09:21 PM   #11

Disassemble the plug at the end of your power cord. Make sure one of the actual copper cables has not disconnected internally inside the plug end from one of the plug blades. It only takes a minute or so to open it up and check.
Old 09-30-2020, 11:16 PM   #12

There are conventions and facts. For example, we like to call L1 a "30A Service," but in fact L1 is capable of delivering 50A.

Assuming you have an RV wired for 50A service that convention implies you can make use of a L1-50A power and L2-50A power... where each line is 120V.

Now take a look at your main power panel and you will see you have 2 split-phase 50A circuit breakers and a 30A circuit breaker the supplies power to your inverter. Why?

Well your inverter/charger combo has an internal transfer switch, that will "PASS" L1 to your Sub-Power Panel.

Notice that all your appliances are either 15A or 20A circuit breakers.

So to your issue: If you are not getting L2 out of your main transfer switch (TS), then you can check your your TS with your volt meter or you can take the cover off your Power panels and probe the bus bar.

Note: When all your circuit breakers are in a line, then every other circuit breaker is connected to that bus bar. And if your circuit breakers in two rows then the right side is connected to one bus and the left side circuit breakers are connected to the other bus.

NOW... if you generator is producing 50A on L1 and 50A on L2... and you are sure all your appliances receive power, when my guess is that your main transfer switch is faulty.

When testing your transfer switch you need to be in an RV park or have 50A shore power that powers L1 & L2 with 120V on each line.

* With your shore power plugged in... and with your generator running... pull the shore power out from the 50A service. ...And let us know if your generator stops or keeps running? If it stops, you might have a neutral problem and this effort may correct for that.

If you still don't have power to all your appliances or a missing L2 or L1 line then try this:

1) Unplug from shore power and turn off your inverter or remove the battery cables to your inverter.

2) Open the transfer switch cover.

3) Plug into shore power and probe for voltage out to the power panel. And if you don't see 120V then you just found your problem; and then you try this:

Solution A) Unplug from shore power and tank a hammer and give the switch a few whacks! ...Then reconnect your battery cable and re-test after you plug back into shore power.

Solution B) Replace with a new transfer switch.

The pictures below may or may not represent your power panels, so I have included to as one example. There are many. And the Inteletec 620 Power Management System (PMS) Board in my coach is located in the bottom half of the Main power panel. And if you ever loose control of your Power Management System; I.e., it stops work right and/or is not shedding power, you might be able to fix it by replacing those resistors on the board.

Late but not least. In my coach, my 50A LED Display will not read at all when on 50A service. Why? ...Because if you have 50A service your Power Management System (Intellitec-620) will NOT, repeat NOT power the LED Display, because it's turned-off!

Your PMS will only TURN-ON when on Generator power and/or when on 30A or 20A power. Then you will see the number of Amps you are using, because the purpose of seeing the LCD Display is so you know how close you are to exceeding the 20 or 30A limits. Just turn on your Air Conditioner and you will see when your fist compressor comes on and then when you second compressor comes on.

...Anyway, I digress. I hope you find your power problem, but it sounds like your transfer switch is not working right.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1 Main AC Circuit Braker Panel.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	182.4 KB
ID:	302937   Click image for larger version

Name:	2 Mark's EMS board (good resistors).jpg
Views:	49
Size:	419.8 KB
ID:	302939  

Click image for larger version

Name:	1 EMS Model #620 with 8 Bad Resistors.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	205.9 KB
ID:	302941  
TM2H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 09:09 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Question: how did you determine that it is only 30A? If the Intelletec remote display now shows 30A instead of 50A, then it means the two source legs are in phase as skip426 described. "Losing a leg" should not cause that (but it will cause other symptoms). If the two leg are now in phase, that means the campground power source has changed and nothing in your RV can fix that. The campground wiring needs to be changed back to the way it was previously so that it provides 50A/240v power.

Standard 50A power is 240v, with the two "legs" at different voltages (one is +120v while the other is -120v). This differential is what tells the Intelletec it is 50A and the load shed function should be disabled. If the Intelletec does not see that difference, it will assume 30A and limit the total load to 30A.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 09:43 AM   #14

I've stayed in parks with 3 phase power. Each park leg reads 120 to ground/neutral, but 208 between the legs due to being out of phase. That may be what confused your electronic load shedding. Worth a check.
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote