Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2020, 10:00 AM   #1

50 amp rig running on 30 service

I am a newbie so I think I know the answer but better to be sure than guess. I have a 50 amp rig and there is a campground that only has 30 amp service. I have the adapter to hook my 50 Amp cord into a 30 amp cord and plug into the service. Are there any precautions I need to take other than watching use of Microwaves and hairdryers?
Thanks for your help
LucyJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2020, 10:17 AM   #2

50A on 30A....
Load Management cause you will have only 30A TOTAL available which is spit between the TWO 50A Hot Legs

30A adapter allows AC Power to both 50A Hot Legs....30A Hot is jumpered to both 50A Hots

30A Power Pedestal CB will trip IF you overload circuits....using microwave & A/C Unit, Using other high draw items together
RV AC Main 50A CBs will not trip

Also check the 30A Power Pedestal Receptacle......they get used/abused ALOT and can cause issues (overheating/arching/bad contact etc
Any signs of arching/worn-broken outlet.........notfiy CG Staff and have receptacle replaced or move to another site
***so check out power pedestal BEFORE setting trailer up
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 10:17 AM   #3

Your 50 amp . RV, is actually receiving two legs of 120 volt power at 50 amps per leg for a total of 100 amps .
When hooked to a 30 amp supply you'll only have 30% power for your RV .
So , one roof air conditioner , fridge and water heater on propane , and as you mentioned , limit use of any other 120 volt devices.

EDIT: I see , Old Biscuit , and I tied in posting info , sorry for the duplication.
Old 08-19-2020, 10:20 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nothing special, but you need to watch all power consumption and not just the high-wattage items. It's amazingly easy to total up to near 30A when you are accustomed to nearly 4x as much.

Appliances with thermostats can be especially hard to manage since their power load cycles on/off unpredictably. Water heater, fridge, and air conditioners or prime examples. You can avoid the fridge and water heater if they have an LP gas option - use that when on 30A and that frees up power for other purposes.

Also be aware that an air conditioner momentarily uses more than 2x its normal load every time the compressor cycles on. That 2-3 second spike can push the total well over the 30A max and trip the breaker. Probably not every time, but often enough to be a nuisance.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 10:24 AM   #5

In my thoughts the 50 amp allows the use of two a/c units and should not matter what else is running. Now if down to 30 amps you may want to be careful on turning on the second a/c unit by making sure, like you said.. no microwave, hair dryer etc running in the background. You see, these a/c units use a lot of amps while powering up and can trigger a breaker to shut off. You could power up one a/c and run it on high to cool things down a bit, then bring it to a low speed. Set the fan speed on the second unit to low prior to turning on and this should keep things under control. Hope this helps. If anyone can provide additional help, please chime in.
lrgomez1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 10:26 AM   #6

You'll learn as you go out and rest the breaker, when you trip it.

Make a mental note of what you turned on to trip it. Adjust accordingly.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 10:35 AM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post

This^^^^^^
2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 12:05 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Whenever we're on 30A I put the fridge and water heater on propane, saving the 30A for A/C and M/W. As said above, just need to watch the load - each A/C takes about 12A, water heater takes 13-15A, etc. When on 30A you have 30A TOTAL. When on 50A you have 50A per leg, or 100A in theory.

Skip Y
2010 Journey, 2015 Equinox
Loc:. MI
Skip Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 12:17 PM   #9

This also means your coffee maker won't work either without tripping a breaker if using A/C. Especially 2 A/Cs. X2 on setting your absorption fridge to propane and ditto the hot water heater. My h/w heater's electric element has never worked and I don't miss it. Anyway, my Keurig-type coffee maker has a high draw (1800 watts) when it is brewing a cuppa joe. Luckily I'm the only coffee drinker in the household. So, if using one A/C, and it's running and not starting up, I think I can use the coffee maker; or the micro... but not both. I've never used the dogbone I have for 30A yet... but the wires for it are painfully thin. It came with the coach... it is for an emergency only; I would buy a stronger one with thicker guage wires if I knew I was gonna use it.
tommar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 01:13 PM   #10

Thanks for the info
LucyJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 01:37 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post

The problem with this is that sometimes the breaker isn't available to reset. I have been to a couple of campgrounds where the breakers are in a locked utility box and you need owner or staff to come and reset it. That is not always pleasant or convenient. So don't automatically think that you can just do that. Find out first what the procedure is if you trip a breaker.
Old 08-19-2020, 02:38 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirpurrcival View Post
The problem with this is that sometimes the breaker isn't available to reset. I have been to a couple of campgrounds where the breakers are in a locked utility box and you need owner or staff to come and reset it. That is not always pleasant or convenient. So don't automatically think that you can just do that. Find out first what the procedure is if you trip a breaker.
In that case, learn fast and during the day.

The fix is a load manager that sheds some of the loads before you excede 30 amps.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 02:34 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Don't let the 30 AMP park scare you off.
Remember if you need additional power you have the generator to help out during peak use times.
ShelbyTom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 03:57 PM   #14

Smile 50amp/30amp

We are newbies too with the same situation as you. We have a 2004 Itasca Meridian with basement AC. I've learned to turn ac off if going to use microwave. For some reason if ac is on and we forget to turn it off when using microwave it shuts the fridge off.... No idea why!! We just turn fridge off and restart it from fridge panel. Wife uses hairdryer only when ac is off. We've been parked for 2 weeks and having only minor inconveniences, however; we are in Connecticut and temps are mild except for about 3 hours from 2 to 5 pm when we run ac as we are in the sun and this box warms up quickly. So, location will dictate what you use and when.... JimNShirl
jpbodiford is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
service