Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-02-2017, 05:32 AM   #29

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrandenburg View Post
This might be a really dumb question.
Can you use the 50 surge protector on a 30 amp service , using a dog bone converter cable ?
Doing exactly that this week, no issues. We do keep our usage in check, not using the washer/dryer this week, not using the roof a/c and the microwave at the same time, etc. Maybe a bit over cautious, but we are working just fine.
marknpeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2017, 07:20 AM   #30

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by marjoa View Post
Ditto on vettenuts:
OP....Just get the thing and hardwire it in. IMO it's not even debatable. Don't listen to anyone else that says it's not necessary. It's just common sense which is not so common these days. I installed mine myself in the elec. bay, on the back wall so it wouldn't interfere with anything else. It's not something that will take 30 minutes. It took me about 3hrs. mainly because of the tight area I was working in and getting those BIG wires into each slot was a little difficult but I got it done. There are plenty of video's that show you how to do this if your handy.
Progressive Industries RV Surge and Electrical Protection industry lea
Gripe 1: Having installed the 50 amp version myself, I'm paying someone to do it the next time. It's really difficult to get the wires into the contactor blocks. I think it's a design flaw given the tight clearances on the output side of the box. It would be so much simpler to have terminal blocks that accept crimp on terminal ends. All the wire prep could then be done outside the confines of the box. Progressive Industries might argue otherwise but this is not a friendly DIY project (30 amp maybe, but not 50 amp) due to the tight clearances and contactor block connections.

Gripe 2: Called their 24-hour support (twice) over the weekend when I was doing the install. No one answered and I ended up in an endless robo phone loop.

Don't get me wrong. It's a great unit and I'm sure the actual fault detection circuitry is rock solid given their reputation and lifetime warranty. I just wish I understood what a bear it was to put in (again the 30 amp is likely easier due to the smaller wire dimensions).

https://goo.gl/photos/TYF2xDTyAkRAvZjQ8
Attached Files
Old 03-03-2017, 06:50 AM   #31

I appreciate all the input. I did purchase a progressive industries 50 amp unit, but I bought the portable one. After I received it and realized how large the unit is , I came up with a little different plan. I'm going to convert the main power cable on the coach to a 4 foot pigtail. Then then convert the rest of the peer cable to a type of extension cord. This way I can connect the surge protector to the coach inside the compartment where the power is connected. My thought is the surge protector will be both protected from the elements as well as be secure from theft. And lastly, if the unit goes bad I can still easily access it to repair or replace by simply unplugging it. Any thought ??
dbrandenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 07:18 AM   #32

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
I appreciate all the input. I did purchase a progressive industries 50 amp unit, but I bought the portable one. After I received it and realized how large the unit is , I came up with a little different plan. I'm going to convert the main power cable on the coach to a 4 foot pigtail. Then then convert the rest of the peer cable to a type of extension cord. This way I can connect the surge protector to the coach inside the compartment where the power is connected. My thought is the surge protector will be both protected from the elements as well as be secure from theft. And lastly, if the unit goes bad I can still easily access it to repair or replace by simply unplugging it. Any thought ??

Why not save your coach cord from surgery and simply buy an extension cord? Use the extension cord from bay where EMS portable device is secure to the power pedestal.

Brian
Towr: 2007 Country Coach Allure 470 - 37 Sunset Bay Cummins 400 ISL, Coach #31563
Toad: 2016 F150 King Ranch - 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 Supercrew (curb weight 4,775 lbs)
Toad: SOLD 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee (yes, it has a Hemi) (curb weight 4,720 lbs)
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 07:23 AM   #33

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
It's a good plan. I kinda wish the coaches came configured with a plug as you describe. It would eliminate a lot of hassles. Progressive Industries has a kit for doing what you propose.
Old 03-05-2017, 05:43 PM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
So my coach came with the Technology Research 41260 Automatic Transfer Switch with a 2600 Joules surge protection, open neutral, reverse polarity and multi-mode surge protection. It doesn't appear to protect against low or high voltage, though it will automatically switch to the generator for problems and low voltage. Is this adequate protection or is more needed at the pedestal (suspenders and a belt)?
Old 03-06-2017, 07:28 PM   #35

Quote:
I did this exact same thing with mine. On the same day you wrote this post. Great minds think alike. Rather than repeat the process and reasoning, here is a link to what I did on another forum:
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ox-127943.html

AL
BigHomey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 09:37 PM   #36

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
My 2016 Newmar 3710 http://www.irv2.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3470986
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote