Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2021, 04:46 PM   #43

5000# hitch

A gas coach will be stressed to pull and stop if the tow vehicle is over that limit. No.
Wayne Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2021, 04:57 PM   #44

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
What's the reason for the 5,000# rating? Actual hitch, driveline, some other factor? As long as the transmission wasn't the limiting factor, it shouldn't be a problem. Safety factors are designed into every component including the hitch. That doesn't mean a 25% or more overload is acceptable, but less that 10% should not be a problem. Close attention to mounting bolts and inspections are important. It's a personal choice you have to make.

So 25% overload is not acceptable but 11% overload is.

So what about 15% overload? 18%? and if 10% is why even worry about any of the published load limits. How about 12% over the MAX tire rated load? Are you willing to stand behind any number for any component that is loaded above it's stated "MAx"?
Old 09-19-2021, 06:01 PM   #45

Checked curb weight I just checked curb weight. You just said "jeep" I googled 2016 jeeps JGC came up 4500-5100 others less.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 06:17 PM   #46

If you really want to know call your insurance company and see if you have coverage if you overload the hitch and have an accident.
Molly21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 07:42 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimymc View Post
Looking at a gas Motorhome that has a 5000 lb hitch. Our Jeep weighs in at 5400 lbs. Is that too much over the limit to be worried about?

In a word, YES! There's a reason for that rating. By exceeding it, not only do you put yourself (and others) at risk of mechanical trouble, you put yourself at increased risk of serious legal trouble of that hitch fails!
EricN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 08:02 PM   #48

Spartan Chassis
Be warned that the 5000 lb. rating may be a misnomer. I looked at a Jayco with a 5000 lb. rating but looking deeper I discovered that was an illusion. Why? Because the difference between the RVs GVWR and the CGVWR was only 4000 lb. and the dry weight was so high that you would be at the GVWR just putting your stuff in. That took the actual ability down to 4000 lbs.
Rev. Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 08:09 PM   #49

Why pull such a heavy toad? More wear and tear on the RV, more fuel burned and less control if something goes wrong.
Get a light tow vehicle. If you want a Jeep, get an older Jeep, they're lighter and better off road, otherwise there are plenty of four seat vehicles that weigh less than 5,000 pounds.
Plus you can quit worrying about what ifs because you are over your max tow weight.
VMOMMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 08:30 PM   #50

We have a jeep grand cherokee that tows 6500. I was told to give ourselves a 2000 lbs weight difference. Our TT is 3500 and it tows great. Like its not there. But I keep checking the rear view mirror to make sure it is.
crazylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 05:40 AM   #51

So now I'm thinking we will keep our old diesel pusher and not look for at a new gasser. We have and love our Jeep Rubicon and wouldn't get rid of it for a lighter toad. Thanks for all the input.
Jimymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 06:11 AM   #52

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
The limit might not be the GVWR nor the hitch. The weak link might be the frame itself. I read that some motor homes, primarily gassers, have a long rear overhang. The longer the overhang beyond the rear wheels, the more leverage is working against you. Especially when considering stresses on the very tail end of the coach. You may want to call the manufacturer of your coach and ask them if it is the hitch or something else that establishes that limit. If it is simply the hitch, upgrade it. Why have to worry about something failing or if you could be potentially liable for something preventable.
Ohio44718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 06:45 AM   #53

The biggest takeaway here might be that the OP was smart enough to look into this BEFORE buying. Kudos to him!
Yosemite77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 08:02 AM   #54

I am supprised that your jeep is so heavy.. Did you consider weighing it with 1/2 tank of gas, no driver, and no cargo? It just seems a bit high, but if you cannot get it under 5K then you probably should not pull it.
2017 Winnebago Vista 29ve (Special Edition) Many Mods: Trimark Keyless Entry, Ride Rite Air bags, Roadmaster anti-sway bars, CrossFire dual tire system, TST TPMS, Roadmaster Sterling tow bar. Many little mods.
corvetteSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 08:02 AM   #55

Now you have me wondering about my hitch. Thanks for the photos
rpracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 08:07 AM   #56

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleplay View Post
Your agent gave you the wrong information.
Specially when there's a claim of total loss they'll look into everything including even if you are a smoker but told them you're not.
In a towing situation first thing they look will be if you are over the payload limit of your vehicle.
All insurance is a scheme and they are design to pay as little as they can and deny claims.
Neighbor is an insurance lawyer. If you "misstated" on your policy you will still be covered for damage to property. Your coverage will be questioned and your loss may or may not be covered. If you lose the best you could hope for is your policy would not be extended and you would be able to find another insurance company to cover you.

Tags
hitch, weight