Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-18-2018, 03:45 PM   #43

I carry enough cord, hose and sewer extensions to allow us to hook up to anything. We are not full time, but I use the extensions at least twice every year. (Last trip out actually.) It only took one time when I did not like the view and did not have the ability to face the other direction to head out and get everything I needed. Never have had that problem again.
AccessMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2018, 03:45 PM   #44

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I also carry a 50 ft 50amp extension, and use it once or twice a year. Usually because I park to get the best spot and view, then use as much cable as I need to plug in.

No big deal, don’t fret about the simple things in life
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 03:47 PM   #45

30a only response from Progressive Industries

I know you asked specifically about 50 amp, but we have a 30 amp Class A. I purchased the Progressive Industries EMS system and asked them about using an extension cord. I use a 25' 30 amp extension cord EVERY time and plug it into the shore power. I then plug the EMS (inside the locked bay) into the extension and the coach into the EMS. According to PI, they said this is actually preferred to keep their unit out of the elements and that they had no problem with this approach.
Old 10-18-2018, 03:52 PM   #46

I need an additional 25' at of all places my house in Phoenix.

At my sons house in Sacramento I use 2 more 25' cords for 105' total. Those cords are stored in his garage.

There is an additional 45' of wiring in the rig to the CB panel. And connections in the rig include the cord reel, a junction box, the PI EMS and the ATS. All cords and wiring are 6 gauge.

I've never had below 108V with 3 AC's running full blast and all of the rest of the normal loads.

I've never had to use an extension in any CG although the 30' rig cord has been fully extended several times.

IMHO If you need a 4 gauge extension cord then there is a pedestal voltage problem. But in that case it is what it is.
CA Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 04:11 PM   #47

I carry a 50 amp extension cord and have used it probably 5 times in almost 4 years (I full-time), but it's a godsend when I need it. I bought it at the dealer where I bought my coach. Not sure of the gauge but it was supposed to be the exact one for my needs. No complaints or problems. I too have a Progressive EMS and often use a large clear plastic bag to cover the pole and connection to the EMS. In my opinion, water and electricity do not play well together. I have experienced a few times when utilities are not well-placed. Sometimes I just leave if I cannot connect and they cannot/will not accommodate me. Mostly I avoid this be reading reviews of places I stay before booking. This eliminates a lot of headaches oftentimes.
Rollergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 04:27 PM   #48

While I do carry a short 15' extension cord, I have yet to use it. However, I do understand electricity. Going up in gauge would be of no help since the other 30' are still the gauge that they are. Picture a fuse inline with a larger wire. The smaller wire will still get hot, perhaps to the point of having an issue. To prevent that from happening, you would need to lessen your amperage draw. That is to say, instead of running the washer and dryer, 3 a/c units, 3 TVs and all of the lights, limit what runs at the same time. Also, distance equals resistance so only use as long of an extension as you need. I see 50' extensions for sale, but I would really watch what I run, if I went that long. You can do some research on what gauge wires will handle what amperage over what distance and figure out what you can do and can't do safely, if you know the gauge wire that makes up your first 30'. Voltage and ac vs. dc makes a difference, so be sure you do your research correctly. Also, if you use aluminum instead of copper, as it ages it can get brittle and break down. So, I would really avoid aluminum, but if you can't, really watch your amperage load. Good luck, don't set the house on fire!
New to this is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 04:43 PM   #49

Pretty sure you are good to 55 or 60 feet with a #6 cord. I carry a 30' and have 25 in the coach
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 04:43 PM   #50

We have the ability to extend all utilities including electric. In 2 years of f near full time RVing we have only had to use it one time. That was in Canada. I bought the electric extension to allow me to nose into spots that present w better view through the windshield like at a lake or riverfront. The Gage is the same so I monitor the current and make sure I have margin. I have not had to wrap the connection. Just make sure it is under the unit.
mcdade54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 05:05 PM   #51

Foretravel Owners Club
As for "wrapping" an extension cord connection..I just grab an old bread sack and blow out the other end, slide it over one end hook the cords together, then slide the sack to center of the connection with a couple of wraps of electrical or duct tape at each end..
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 05:12 PM   #52

I have a 15 foot Camco 50 amp extension cord. I use it at home because my 50 amp box is just a little to far from the coach, plus I carry it in the RV too. I haven't needed at a CG yet.
Danesrus3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 05:39 PM   #53

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I always carry an extension cord with me. The extra weight is negligible and it doesn't affect my power at all when I use it. But then I'm using 30 AMP too, so I don't know if that makes a difference.
Kalispell, Montana
PaulAchuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 07:04 PM   #54

We carry a 25' extension cord. Really heavy, but we needed it at a campsite in Indiana. It was either add the cord or climb through a pine tree to get in the camper.
srcooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 07:18 PM   #55

You can get an RV extension cord at Amazon. I've had one for my first TT and used it Twice, but was thankful that I had it. I also carry an second city water hose, used that once, came close a second and third time.
RitaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 07:47 PM   #56

Seems like I have always needed a few extra feet :(

My new to me coach has a cord that is effect an extension cord. The transfer switch has a 2 foot cable with a 50 amp male plug on the end and that plugs into the the "main" cord...

I already have a electric hose reel installed and I like it so much I'm going to install a 50amp, 50 foot long cord with one of these cablemasters. RV Cablemaster - Model CRMA-50 With RV Cable | Cablemaster | Store - Glendinning Products

I also bought a Hughes Autoformer for line protection and when I'm finished my setup will be similar to the RVGeeks setup... Autoformer installed in the bay next to the cord reel with a 50 cord... Probably use the old cord for an extension

Another though I have.... How long is the run from the source to the receptacle you are plugging into? Did they use large enough wire to feed the pedestal or cut corners to save a few bucks?

A short story to illustrate my point.......

Years ago there was a fire hydrant installed in the middle of a trailer park. That hydrant was the only one for miles around... The "park" was spaces on both sides of a one mile road and that fire hydrant was smack dab in the middle... I counted on that plug and marked it well on all the maps in our fire department knowing full well how often mobile homes caught on fire...

Sure enough one night we received a call that a trailer was on fire... Once on scene I pulled up to that plug, hooked up to my truck with a 5 inch hose and turned it on! After about 2 minutes I was out of water and sent a man back to make sure the plug was opened all the way.. You could have knocked me over with a feather the moment I watched my man pull on the wrench and witnessed the plug break and fall to the ground!

That beautiful fire plug, that I relied on for over 5 years, was installed with a 1 1/2" pipe welded to it's base! The only supply of water to a 6" fire hydrant was a 1.5 inch pipe and if it had not rusted and fell over no one would have ever known....

IS that 50 amp receptacle really fed by #8 wire or did someone cheat and use #12 ???????