Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-24-2021, 09:38 AM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Albemarle, NC
Posts: 50
5Star Tune

Hello Nomads, I have a 2011 Winnebago Adventurer 35í and installed the 5Star device. Coach only had 6000 mi. when we acquired it and only put a few hundred miles on it prior to installing 5 Star. I havenít really noticed much difference in performance. It will get the job done, however seems to downshift prematurely when pulling a say, 3-4į grade. Software shows to be installed properly.
How has 5 Star worked out for those that are using it?
Thanks for any replies.
Robert
Roadhogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2021, 10:17 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
R.Wold's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Rosemary Farm, Northern Ca
Posts: 4,822
Worked for me - noticeable but not dramatic. One thing I was told is that cruise control has to be off.
__________________
2016 Ventana 3427 with HWH Active Air, 1575w solar
R.Wold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 10:22 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 28,358
The V10 is basicly a high RPM engine, so downshifting is pretty normal.

Your car does too, but you just don't hear it.

One of the claimed benefits of the 5 Star is it doesn't down shift 2 gears at the first down shift.
They put 4 th gear back in and the RPMs don't fly up.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 11:19 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
R.Wold's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Rosemary Farm, Northern Ca
Posts: 4,822
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
The V10 is basicly a high RPM engine, so downshifting is pretty normal.

Your car does too, but you just don't hear it.

One of the claimed benefits of the 5 Star is it doesn't down shift 2 gears at the first down shift.
They put 4 th gear back in and the RPMs don't fly up.
Accessing 4th was my goal with 5 star, Banks and K&N, and I still had to be on top of things to get it to use forth and stay in it as long as possible.

The loss of OD on/off was unfortunate and the tow/haul that replaced it was only marginally useful. Not worth the loss of the ability to lock out OD. I really enjoy the control I have over my transmission in my ‘17 F250 PSD. I can lock out every gear all the way down to 1st, and also put in it manual shift mode. That would have been a major benefit in the V10 Class C and F53.

I’m sure like most factory shift strategies, it’s all about claimed fuel economy. That and trying to idiot proof driving which doesn’t seem to be working all that well.
__________________
2016 Ventana 3427 with HWH Active Air, 1575w solar
R.Wold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 11:51 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 28,358
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Wold View Post
Accessing 4th was my goal with 5 star, Banks and K&N, and I still had to be on top of things to get it to use forth and stay in it as long as possible.

The loss of OD on/off was unfortunate and the tow/haul that replaced it was only marginally useful. Not worth the loss of the ability to lock out OD. I really enjoy the control I have over my transmission in my Ď17 F250 PSD. I can lock out every gear all the way down to 1st, and also put in it manual shift mode. That would have been a major benefit in the V10 Class C and F53.

Iím sure like most factory shift strategies, itís all about claimed fuel economy. That and trying to idiot proof driving which doesnít seem to be working all that well.
They are now offering the select shift on the new E series chassis.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 12:05 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
R.Wold's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Rosemary Farm, Northern Ca
Posts: 4,822
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
They are now offering the select shift on the new E series chassis.
It will make a huge difference in drivability.
__________________
2016 Ventana 3427 with HWH Active Air, 1575w solar
R.Wold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 12:13 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
530ktm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: High up in Arizona
Posts: 1,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhogger View Post
Hello Nomads, I have a 2011 Winnebago Adventurer 35í and installed the 5Star device. Coach only had 6000 mi. when we acquired it and only put a few hundred miles on it prior to installing 5 Star. I havenít really noticed much difference in performance. It will get the job done, however seems to downshift prematurely when pulling a say, 3-4į grade. Software shows to be installed properly.
How has 5 Star worked out for those that are using it?
Thanks for any replies.
Robert
I had it in my 2014 Itasca and I did not feel much improvement, certainly not worth the money spent. The new transmissions with 6 speed is the best improvement that could be made.
__________________
2019 Allegro Bus 37AP towing a Jeep JK Rubicon Wrangler
530ktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
5Star Tune on F53 California Emissions shastaron iRV2.com General Discussion 0 07-02-2016 11:18 AM
Group Buy for 5Star Tune Going on Now BPoland Class A Motorhome Discussions 6 03-18-2016 08:27 PM
5Star Tune Group Buy Going On Now! BPoland Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum 3 03-17-2016 08:46 AM
got our prw4 tune from 5STAR LVRVLUVR Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum 4 09-22-2015 01:10 PM
Genny and roof air vs dash, 5Star Tune, etc wydglydrydr Class A Motorhome Discussions 0 09-03-2013 07:02 AM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.