Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-30-2019, 07:08 PM   #1

6.7 ISB Odd Fan Belt Wear

I replaced my fan belt within the last year and it has roughly 7500 miles on it as does the tensioner I replaced with a Cummins part. After a cross country trip this summer, I had the fan clutch replaced by my local Freightliner shop. The belt has about 1000 miles since the fan clutch replacement.

When I picked up my coach this evening I noticed odd wear on the outside of the belt. It appears something is cutting into the belt. Has anyone else seen wear like this on their belt and if so, what was causing it?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2019, 07:14 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgreen1069 View Post
It appears something is cutting into the belt.
Cutting into the belt where? The belt edge, the top surface, the inside where it rolls over the pulleys? Maybe a pic?
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 07:26 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by marjoa View Post
Cutting into the belt where? The belt edge, the top surface, the inside where it rolls over the pulleys? Maybe a pic?
I am using a new photo hosting site....can you see the photos? The top surface has a groove cut into it.
Old 10-30-2019, 07:40 PM   #4

What runs on the back side of the belt other than an idler pulley? Looks like something may be slightly resting against the belt while running.
Old 10-30-2019, 07:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by alank View Post
What runs on the back side of the belt other than an idler pulley? Looks like something may be slightly resting against the belt while running.
The top of the belt only touches the idler pulley and tensioner on the top of the belt. Tensioner was replaced within the past year.
Old 10-30-2019, 07:59 PM   #6

I would get the belt off and see if one of them turns hard or seems to have a bad bearing.
Old 10-30-2019, 08:55 PM   #7

Quote:
I am using a new photo hosting site....can you see the photos? The top surface has a groove cut into it.
Nope. Don't see them.

To attach photos when you make a post:
Right below where you type your post/reply are "additional options". In that area there is a "attach files" section with a manage attachment button. Click that button and a little window will open up where you can find your photos, attach them, then click "upload". Then go back up to your post and click "Submit Reply". Your photos will then show up with your post. The best format is .jpg
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 05:05 AM   #8

I’m confused because I can see the photos on my phone and computer. There are two photos of the belt.
Dgreen1069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 09:03 AM   #9

Quote:
I’m confused because I can see the photos on my phone and computer. There are two photos of the belt.
I can see your pictures. I am not sure what the belt wear is from, I would check for all the surfaces it runs on and what might move and contact the belt when you are driving.

I had a stone that had pushed its way into the belt and caused a rough spot on an idler. That is a good belt, it must be something touching it.
Old 10-31-2019, 12:55 PM   #10

It's pissing rain here today and I'm trying to head out of town tomorrow. I decided to drop my rig off at Freightliner so they can figure out the problem and put a new belt on. Hopefully I'll have an answer soon.

My guess is there is an issue with the idler pulley. I replaced the tensioner last year and the idler and tensioner are the only pulleys that touch the top side of the belt.
Old 11-01-2019, 11:17 AM   #11

That happened to mine. I couldn't see anything rubbing so I didn't do anything about it. A couple hundred miles from home it shredded and came off. I had a mobile repair company come and change the belt and tensioner. That lasted another 200 miles. The new one shredded and this time it took out the crank sensor and ripped the wires out with it. I had it looked at again. The alternator was froze. The wear I was seeing was from the alternator pulley wearing through the belt from the inside. The black is from the burned belt. New crank sensor alternator and belt and so far so good.
Old 11-01-2019, 12:10 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Dgreen --

I can't offer any help on the belt wear but I am very curious about why you replaced your fan clutch. What "symptoms" did you experience that made you decide to replace the fan clutch?

Reason for asking is while driving between Houston an Baton Rouge for LSU football weekends during hot, 95 F+ ambient temperatures my engine temp would constantly fluctuate between 187 F and 212 F. When the engine temp reached 212 F I could hear the fan go into high speed until the engine temp fell to 187 F at which point the fan returned to normal speed. I'm wondering if I have a thermostat or fan clutch or some other cooling problem.
fagnaml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 01:27 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by fagnaml View Post
Dgreen --

I can't offer any help on the belt wear but I am very curious about why you replaced your fan clutch. What "symptoms" did you experience that made you decide to replace the fan clutch?

Reason for asking is while driving between Houston an Baton Rouge for LSU football weekends during hot, 95 F+ ambient temperatures my engine temp would constantly fluctuate between 187 F and 212 F. When the engine temp reached 212 F I could hear the fan go into high speed until the engine temp fell to 187 F at which point the fan returned to normal speed. I'm wondering if I have a thermostat or fan clutch or some other cooling problem.
Nope sounds normal
nathaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 06:14 AM   #14

Looks like the belt could be riding on the edge of the tension pulley depending on if the shop got the right part number. Cummings has so many engine applications and part numbers very slightly and with the idle pulley could be it's not quite lined up correctly causing it to cut a line in you belt
nathaniel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fan