RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-20-2017, 09:54 AM   #1

6 volt batteries

I know this topic has been covered many times however I wanted a different take on it. I would like to know if you're on a budget, what 6-volt deep cycle house batteries would you recommend. Please expand on it by adding how long they lasted you. Thanks to you all and Happy Holidays..
reese1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2017, 10:01 AM   #2

6v GC2 batteries at Costco; $85 ea. Put 'em in last spring, doing fine so far, we'll see.
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 10:02 AM   #3

Awesome thx
reese1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 10:21 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzbill View Post
6v GC2 batteries at Costco; $85 ea. Put 'em in last spring, doing fine so far, we'll see.

X2, I had a pair of these on our TT for several years of dry camping and served us well. They are made by Johnson Controls one of the leading manufacturers of quality batteries.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 11:14 AM   #5

My first set of Sams Club GC2, 6 volt batteries lasted about 5 years before they were down to about 50% capacity.

3 of the years were full time off grid and the last 2 were winters only off grid, while being stored in the summer.

This was on my cruising boat, that rarely spent any time at a dock with power. Most nights we anchored out.

We had a residential fridge, satellite TV, and many comforts of home.

They still worked, but didn't last as long before needing charging. We are on our second set, but the boat is still on land since the storms tore up our FL Keys cruising area.

We have a pair of the same batteries in our MH since spring of 2014 and they are going strong.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 11:21 AM   #6

We are on our second set of Costco batteries. The first set lasted 6 years. The battery bank is 4 6volt batteries. One of the batteries fail. I disconnected the bad battery and its mate and used the battery bank for another couple of months until I replace all 4. I only "Equalized" them a couple of time in the 6 years of service. I should have done it more as that may have extended the life. I did check the water in them every 2-3 months and never let them run dry. I was please with the performance.
Old 12-20-2017, 11:37 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If on a budget and you have a SAM's club membership. GO THERE
Costco is #2 again if you have a mambership

I went with DEKA from a DEKA store because once I paid for the membership.. Well the savings would not add up.. And would be eaten up by the added millage.

If no Sam's or Costco, DEKA or Interstate

DEKA is 100% MADE IN THE USA.
Old 12-20-2017, 01:12 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

They are pretty much all private labels of the same or equivalent batteries, so just shop for price. Deka is an exception - it's the house brand for East Penn, a major battery manufacturer. US Battery & East Penn probably make almost all the 6v GC2 batteries you are likely to find at retail stores (including the Interstate label).

Just be careful to compare the Amp-hour capacity and that the quote is based on the standard 20-hour rate. A GC2 size battery is typically between 210 and 230 AH and going price is around $90-$100 at discount outlets. However, I've seen some advertised that turn out to be as low as 150 AH. If you see one claiming more than 230 AH, it is probably based on some non-standard rating or the battery is a taller size than the GC2 standard. Taller is fine if you have the room for it.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 11:05 PM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
GC 6 volt from Costco 5 or6 yrs old still going strong.

Tags
batteries