Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-31-2018, 12:21 AM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
A lawyer friend of mine has been involved in case where a lorry tire exploded and killed the driver of the car travelling alongside.

Yer not sure I want to mess with over old tyres.
ElvistheKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2018, 09:38 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvistheKing View Post
A lawyer friend of mine has been involved in case where a lorry tire exploded and killed the driver of the car travelling alongside.

Yer not sure I want to mess with over old tyres.
That reminds me of the old split rims.
1996 34'J Fleetwood Bounder, Chevy 454 TBI P-32, Bank PowerPack, Ultra Power Chip, BellCranks, Rear Trac Bar, Silver Safe-T-Plus and 04 CR-V Toad, Roadmaster Base Plate and All Terain Tow Bar, SMI Stay-In-Play DUO.
leesdx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 10:46 AM   #31

I believe I've read where Michelin states that tires are good to go for 5 years (under normal usage and still good tread left). Up to 5 more years after that, but with annual inspections. While it wasn't an inspection per se, i'm sure it was obvious to the dealer installing the tires that they were in good shape when he installed them.

At $150 apiece, i'd sure go with them if my plan was to replace them in 2 years anyway.
Old 07-31-2018, 05:21 PM   #32

Quote:
I believe I've read where Michelin states that tires are good to go for 5 years (under normal usage and still good tread left).
Actually, last I checked they recommend replacement after 10 years. Bridgestone was the same. Goodyear Canada interestingly, refuses to place a chronoligical lifespan on their products, citing lack of ANY "scientific or technical data" and instead, states to have them inspected annually until tread life is within 2/32nds of an inch.
Roadfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 05:33 PM   #33

I bought 4 with 2 month date last year, Michelin 235/ 22.5. the Michelins I took off were 10 years old. Not a crack in them.
Old 07-31-2018, 05:42 PM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfred622 View Post
I replace tires whenever they are 7 years old. I just got two "new" tires from a dealer who gave me an excellent price. Before purchase, I asked what the date code would be. He said he didn't know (had to order them from the warehouse) but expected 2 yrs old. I agreed.

The tires they installed are 7 years old. Brand new, never used, stored in a warehouse......but 7 years. Dealer said they would be good for at least 3 years.

I plan to be replacing all 6 tires in 2 years anyway. What do YOU think of driving on brand new tires that were manufactured 7 years ago?

Any evidence to support your opinions? I need to decide if I want to fight this or not. (the price was good...$150/tire)

Thanks!

Give them back! I would never stake my life on tires that have been abused, especially like that!

What make are they? Spend the extra bucks for something like Toyo tires. And NEVER accept a tire for your RV that is more than 6 months old.

Our tires die because the rubber compounds break down over time. 7 years is a good rule of thumb. You can have your tires pulled of the rims and inspected for internal damage, if you are willing to take that risk, and run them for maybe 10 years. Beyond that trouble is just around the corner.

I have had one blowout on my previous rig. I never wont to go through that again. The damage to the coach was extensive.

Please, RVing friend, don't endanger yourself and those around you by putting bad tires on your rig. Always think "Safety First" when equipping your RV.

How much is your family's safety worth?

Happy and safe trails.
Rick
Old 07-31-2018, 06:47 PM   #35

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I rejected 2 year old Michelin.
Second try they got in 3 year old ones!
Third try the were 2 months old!
Dealer had no problem with it!
Old 07-31-2018, 10:40 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadfrog View Post
Actually, last I checked they recommend replacement after 10 years. Bridgestone was the same. Goodyear Canada interestingly, refuses to place a chronoligical lifespan on their products, citing lack of ANY "scientific or technical data" and instead, states to have them inspected annually until tread life is within 2/32nds of an inch.
And that's what I said in my previous reply. The first five good to go on the wheel with just exterior visual inspections. After that, another five years but with inspections inside and out. Total of ten years under normal operating conditions and with good tread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
Give them back! I would never stake my life on tires that have been abused, especially like that!
What abuse?
Old 08-01-2018, 10:18 AM   #37

......"How much is your family's safety worth?"......

I see your point,...but. a sudden failure of a tire does not present a dangerous situation for me. Hear me out. I not only have a lot of experience driving, but I also have experience studying fatal accidents. I also have studied the videos on RV tire failures (there are several that are similar to the Michelin/Anderson video). Notice that in these videos the drivers are not wearing body and head protection,....nor do the vehicles have roll bars or 5-point safety harness. Obviously, they don't thing it's dangerous either. Why? Because IMO it's not difficult to control the RV after a front tire blowout. You just have to be expecting it, AND immediately execute the correct procedure. The most important part of the procedure is the immediate first step, namely STEER IT with the STEERING WHEEL so as to stay in your lane.
Cloud Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 10:30 AM   #38

...you may get lucky and not have any issues--however, you will be thinking about it for the next 2 years......
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 10:41 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudfrog View Post
And that's what I said in my previous reply.
Yes you did. Somewhere in my moving words and sentences, and who I was quoting, it appeared as though I was correcting you.
Roadfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 10:45 AM   #40

I agree, I have had two complete blowouts on a steer tire in a big rig, at highway speeds, and they were easy to control. Ironically, they were both brand new tires that had been on less then a week.

I also had a front tire blow out in a pickup, with 33" tires. At a different location, it could have been ugly. I got pulled into the dirt bank, which kept me from going further off the road.

I'm sure the tires aspect ratio has a lot to do with how much control you still have after a steer tire blowout. I have taken notice over the years, that the majority of Suv's and pickups you see in the ditches have a suspension lift, and large tires. Which helps confirm my theory.
Old 08-01-2018, 10:47 PM   #41

Not sure what state you live in, but here in CA, it is illegal to sell tires more than 1 year old.

When I replaced my tires in July 2015, they had the month year July 15. They were like two weeks old.
Old 08-02-2018, 06:47 AM   #42

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superburban View Post
I agree, I have had two complete blowouts on a steer tire in a big rig, at highway speeds, and they were easy to control. Ironically, they were both brand new tires that had been on less then a week.

I also had a front tire blow out in a pickup, with 33" tires. At a different location, it could have been ugly. I got pulled into the dirt bank, which kept me from going further off the road.

I'm sure the tires aspect ratio has a lot to do with how much control you still have after a steer tire blowout. I have taken notice over the years, that the majority of Suv's and pickups you see in the ditches have a suspension lift, and large tires. Which helps confirm my theory.
I'm relieved to hear that those big front tires on an RV are "easy" to control in a blow out. A lot of coach owners seem to be installing the Saf-T-Plus device just in case. And I was considering getting one too.

BTW - I have 37x12.5R17" tires on my lifted 4x4. If one tire was to blow that axle would drop a long way. I doubt a device like the Saf-T-Plus would help much in that case.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote