Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-10-2012, 04:37 AM   #29

70,000 without a doubt! Diesels don't like two things.......cranked and shut off.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2012, 04:56 AM   #30

[QUOTE=336muffin;1366120]70,000 without a doubt! Diesels don't like two things.......cranked and shut off.[/QUOTE This is another wivestale. Just like not letting a diesel idle for hours on end. Setting around for months on end does not harm a diesel or a gas engine. Ideling for 12 hours straight does not harm a diesel in any way. Mine do it all the time sitting out on jobs in the oil fields.
KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:17 AM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
This is why most of us who own DPs will exercise them every 3-4 weeks if we are stationary for a long period of time
I doubt that most DP owners exercise them every 3 to 4 weeks. The only beneficial exercise would be to take it for a drive. Idling a diesel for exercise is not recommended.

An engine with 7000 miles on it is a brand new engine where as one with 70 000 is quite used. All things equal I would definitely go for the lower mileage unit.
georgetown350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:19 AM   #32

I'm certainly no expert on diesel engines even though I've owned and personally maintained 4 of them in my rv's. I do recall reading an article about allowing a diesel engine to idle for hours on end. This article stated that at an extended idle, the oil can be "washed" from the cylinder walls be excess diesel fuel no used by the engine at idle. This "washing" of the walls reduces the lubrication between the piston rings and the cylinder wall causing wear. Like I said, I'm no expert and simply thought I'd provide a bit of info on the subject for general consumption.
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:28 AM   #33

I'm certainly no expert on diesel engines even though I've owned and personally maintained 4 of them in my rv's. I do recall reading an article about allowing a diesel engine to idle for hours on end. This article stated that at an extended idle, the oil can be "washed" from the cylinder walls by excessive diesel fuel injected but not used by the engine at idle. Tis article stated that the "washing" of the cylinder walls during long periods of idle reduces the lubrication between the piston rings and the cylinder wall causing excessive wear. Like I said, I'm no expert and didn't write the article. I simply thought I'd provide a bit of info on the subject of doling for general forum consumption.
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:05 AM   #34

Millions of truckers have lived out of their rigs for years. Most have had to idle any time they needed sleep as to keep warm or cool. Many of these rigs have logged over 2 million miles without a overhaul. This is with 10s of thousands of idle time hours. Now days many have gone to a small engine called an APU to keep things warm or cool and to provide power for electronics and to even keep the chassis battery's charged and the coolant warm. This is due to new Laws from the governments. Many still just idle the truck engine as not all states have outlawed idling but many have. In cold climates like Alaska, diesel trucks are never shut off. They run 24/7 as they would never start outside. The excessive idling is not as hard on them as the cold starts would be anyway.
KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:25 AM   #35

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Curious - trip metering displays % time idling. Anyone know why?
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:46 AM   #36

I went back and read the OP on this. The dealer did NOT have a 7000 mile coach to offer; he was simply offering silly hyperbole to illustrate that 70K was not a high milage level for a typical diesel. That part of his point is valid, as 70K is a small portion of a diesel's expected life. We all have views and opinions, but the dealer was not offering an even swap for a newer unit.

I'll go back to sleep now.......................

Tom
TLGPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:03 AM   #37

Monaco Owners Club
If a dealer is trying to push a coach with a million miles on it , he will tell you that the motor has just broken in.
georgetown350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:19 PM   #38

I would send a sample of oil from both coaches and have them tested and then using their recommendations, purchase the Motorhome. Myself, I purchased a 1997 HR two years ago with 85k miles. The motor runs great and the house is solid as the day it was built. Don't be afraid of a Diesel engine having some miles on it. 70k miles is considered low mileage. Good luck with your decision.
slemnah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:03 AM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
I purchased 2001 Monaco Diplomat in March 2012. It is a DP with 93K in great shape. Who ever owned this thing took great care if it.
It now has 104K miles. We just returned from a 4 month trip. I changed the oil and all the filters every 5k miles. My Machanic says its in great shape. Everything works well. We are leaving in March for 6 months or so. I'm very confident it will do fine. That's my experience.
Gorlininc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 12:00 PM   #40

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. M
and they often sit for months or years without being used. Also diesel engines are used in sailboats, which tend to be used seasonally, and sit for long periods without running.
Well not totally accurate. Any decent operation that has emergency generators has scheduled run time for the emergency generators. Really good operations have load banks so they can run under load.
Butte64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:41 AM   #41

The OP (me) is trying to understand the importance of mileage in evaluating a diesel coach. As TLGPE points out, the dealer was using this phrase to sell me on a particular used coach, so I had my BS sensors out. The 70k comment rang my BS bell, but I had heard it before. It seems that many would prefer rather high mileage used diesels over low mileage, perhaps in fear of the worst case scenario, a unit left neglected for years. I wonder how typical this is? How long can a diesel engine be left idle?

Butte64 brings up the fact that emergency generators are scheduled to run under load regularly. This is really interesting. The industry has evolved this practice of decades as a way to insure that problems are found and fixed before there the engine is called upon in an actual emergency. So that is very interesting.

However, if you look at the average usage of a diesel pusher, what does having low mileage tell you? If it were purchased as a toy by time-stressed professional that used it for one vacation and several weekends annually, it would be well maintained, but have low miles.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:07 AM   #42

Monaco Owners Club
Being new to the DP world. I've learned a few things about them.
They do not like to sit more than a month or two max.
Diesel fuel loves to grow algae. It grows on the fuel tank, lines, pumps, and fuel filters. There is an additive that can help control
Algae. But they need to be run and a fuel change by usage. My high mileage DP does not leak a drop of oil anywhere. The generator also must be used. They run at a constant RPM so they can deliver any demand at a micro second demand time. The fact they run for any length of time is amazing. Their mission is a hard one. Running them under load is very necessary at least once o month or more often. I run mine at least once a week for at least 30 minutes under changing loads. Turning AC on and off.
With just over 100k miles on my Cummings, and road master chassis, I am told they are just breaking in. It seems it was broken on correctly. I get approx 10 mpg. And it runs flawlessly. Just my opinions and what I have learned the past 6 months. Enjoy your travels.
Gorlininc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel