Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2013, 11:33 AM   #1

78 Dodge Apollo Transmission issue

Something weird happened on the tranny last week. I sort of let someone live in the RV and I did notice that he didn't fully stop the RV before shifting either in Drive or Reverse depending on the case, so the guy calls me that the RV does not go in Drive or Second anymore. It does shift if started in First then manually shifted to Second and then Drive. I remember that in cars it had a governer(or something like that) that handled the shifting. This tranny was rebuilt not too long ago so I don't think it's slipping from wear. I read somewhere that the forwarding band is broken(that was on a truck tranny do these have it?). Any ideas on what's doing it? Thanks in advance.
gica is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2013, 09:34 AM   #2

First thing to do is check the fluid level, and condition. Look for any hint of browning; instead of red ; of the fluid or burnt smell.
The trans in your unit is the same as the trucks of the same year, first gear is a clutch pack, second a band, third a clutch pack, and reverse a band. If you break a band, second or reverse, you loose that gear , regardless of how you shift it. Governor problems usually effect upshift not engaugement problems, the valve body, the hydraulic brain of the trans may need repair if fluid levels aren't your problem.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:25 PM   #3

Thanks Skip, this RV if I'm not mistaken has the 727 tranny and I was reading that the governer being stuck can cause such thing as not being able to upshift, also 2-3 valve being suck can cause the engagement problems. Found this for the respective tranny reference http://www.allpar.com/mopar/transmis...-tom-hand.html
gica is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
transmission