Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-27-2022, 11:39 AM   #1

8.1 ltr engine

I am looking at upgrading found a 2004 Damon only question I have is it has a gas 8.1 ltr engine. Anyone have any insights about this engine. Have a Cummins 5.8 now and have been really happy with it just not sure about going gas.
Edhick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2022, 12:44 PM   #2

Great engine.
Old 02-27-2022, 12:48 PM   #3

The 8.1 liter is a GM V8 gasoline engine. Just fine.

The Cummins 5.9 liter is a Cummins in-line 6 cylinder diesel engine. An excellent engine unless one of the 53 blocks.
Old 02-27-2022, 12:49 PM   #4

There have been a few 8.1 that have fuel trim issues. Hooking up a scanner and doing a bit of web surfing would be prudent as this can destroy the engine. Otherwise, decent motor.
SteveJ. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 01:21 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
All Electronic Fuel Injected engines can develop fuel trim issues regardless of brand. Ford V10 engines can have the same issues! All of them will show a check engine light if this becomes a problem.

The 8.1L engine in the Workhorse chassis will in almost any case last longer than the motorhome will. The house mounted on the chassis will fall apart long before the engine dies.

If the motorhome is on the Workhorse W series chassis it will have an Allison 1000M transmission. That transmission may be the best transmission ever in a gas motorhome. If it is a P series chassis it will have a GM 485LE transmission. The GM transmission is not as robust as the Allison but still very good.

You may want to visit the Workhorse Custom Chassis forum on this website. You will find lots of conversations about the Workhorse chassis.

My opinion is the Workhorse chassis of that era is superior to the Ford chassis of the same time period. The one caveat is some parts for the Workhorse chassis are starting to get hard to find.
Old 02-27-2022, 01:32 PM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Motor is a descendant of the "big block" Chevrolet V-8 (better kniown in it's 427 c.i. and 454 c.i. incarnations). If the motor is on a Workhorse chassis, check that the Bosch brakes have had the recall issue fixed (there's on the Workhorse sub-forum someone who will do that if you provide VIN).

I know of 2 MH owners who grenaded the engine. One somewhere on this forum probably due to overstress (person even posted pictures) and the other was apparently due to an improperly-assembled engine (got the cost of replacement reimbursed).

Old 02-27-2022, 01:57 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Only you can decide if you are up to doing an engine swap. It isn't a job for the amateur shade tree mechanic.

The 8.1 in our 38+ foot MH has been great. I usually gross out around 26-27,000 pounds with my 2010 Ford Ranger behind us.

I put Banks headers and intake system on it and the power is just fine. On even flat highways at 60 mph I can get 10 mpg.

Have fun whatever you decide to do.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 02:16 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloduster View Post
All Electronic Fuel Injected engines can develop fuel trim issues regardless of brand. Ford V10 engines can have the same issues! All of them will show a check engine light if this becomes a problem.

The 8.1L engine in the Workhorse chassis will in almost any case last longer than the motorhome will. The house mounted on the chassis will fall apart long before the engine dies.

If the motorhome is on the Workhorse W series chassis it will have an Allison 1000M transmission. That transmission may be the best transmission ever in a gas motorhome. If it is a P series chassis it will have a GM 485LE transmission. The GM transmission is not as robust as the Allison but still very good.

You may want to visit the Workhorse Custom Chassis forum on this website. You will find lots of conversations about the Workhorse chassis.

My opinion is the Workhorse chassis of that era is superior to the Ford chassis of the same time period. The one caveat is some parts for the Workhorse chassis are starting to get hard to find.

Agree with you on most everything except about the transmission. I know for a fact the W24 series got the 2100 series Allison. Not sure about the W22 and others. They were equipped with a grade brake feature in 2005. The 2006 and up were 6 speed units; 2005 and prior were 5 speeds.

I never got 10 mpg in my 2005 Newmar. It was a great running rig though and quieter than you would think. The only time it got loud was in warmer weather when the viscous engine fan kicks in. That does get loud.
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 02:41 PM   #9

Yes, the W-22 series chassis all have the Allison 1000 tranny. The early W-24 series got the Allison 2100 series, and later w-24 series chassis got an Allison 2350 variant.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 03:05 PM   #10

Powerful and quiet engine even when next to your feet. The Allison 1000 transmission is solid. Agree on others comments on the electric cooling fans are louder but ours don’t run very often.
Good luck!
bobmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 05:21 AM   #11

In its day known as the diesel killer.`
Old 02-28-2022, 06:52 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmar View Post
Powerful and quiet engine even when next to your feet. The Allison 1000 transmission is solid. Agree on others comments on the electric cooling fans are louder but ours don’t run very often.
Good luck!

It is the fan behind the radiator that creates the loud roar when the fan clutch is fully engaged, not the electric fans in front of the radiator.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 08:43 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
It is the fan behind the radiator that creates the loud roar when the fan clutch is fully engaged, not the electric fans in front of the radiator.
So true! I didn't have the electric fan in front, so I put one on to help the AC when I was in slow traffic. I can't even hear it when it's on.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 09:46 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplanned Tourist View Post
Only you can decide if you are up to doing an engine swap. It isn't a job for the amateur shade tree mechanic.

The 8.1 in our 38+ foot MH has been great. I usually gross out around 26-27,000 pounds with my 2010 Ford Ranger behind us.

I put Banks headers and intake system on it and the power is just fine. On even flat highways at 60 mph I can get 10 mpg.

Have fun whatever you decide to do.
He is not considering an engine swap.

Tags
engine