Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-26-2017, 04:46 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Texas has higher speeds than that even !
But my question is why is it that 'THEY' are always the stupid ones ?!?
that video of the rv going into the median is one instance... is it an every day occurrence ?

Maybe it's possible that some equipment is up to the task and yours isn't?
maybe they have new tires and a tag axle that makes it easy to drive?
maybe the 'floating' on the road is not fighting it, but just allowing it to move around a bit since the road is more than wide enough to allow it?

By all means, if you are 'skeered' to drive above your comfort zone, please do not, it will wear you out...which is a safety concern.

Our rv is two fingers @ 75 mph with a toad following... Don't know about yours, but my tires are new and rated @ 75 and with higher pressure can be safe at faster speeds according to the mfg.

One current databook suggests adding up to 10 psi above the recommended pressure for higher speeds. Not all tire manufacturers offer similar recommendations any longer, but it probably won't hurt to add extra air to the tires if you plan to run above 75 mph.

So, the takeaway to all this is that speed is a factor in determining inflation pressure, not safety. With most class a rv tires now rated for 75 mph (speed rating L for the ISO LI/SSY rating), 75 should be a safe speed for tires if the correct pressure is maintained. Speeds above 75 may require additional pressure or reducing the load on the tire.

I say to each his own, but now days, many say you must do as I say
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2017, 05:04 AM   #16

I stay in the 65 mph range which is where I feel that I have the best "control". The faster can pass me and I give them every opportunity. The faster speed is just not worth it, IMHO.
Old 05-26-2017, 05:30 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
I hit the interstate, set the cruise on 60, stay in right lane, get some coffee, and enjoy the scenery..............get to actually see some of the country, and get about 10 mpg while towing...........so if those idiots want to drive 70, 75, 80...........let them............10 miles an hour greater speed over a 6 hour day only gets you to your destination an hour (+-) early.........and no one got into this lifestyle to get from place to place quickly........................
Old 05-26-2017, 06:13 AM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knoxie89 View Post
Correct. They'll just drop your ass and or sue you personally for the damages they paid out.
they can cancel sure, but they will never sue you, where do you get this BS from?
Old 05-26-2017, 06:29 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmmonaco View Post
I hit the interstate, set the cruise on 60, stay in right lane, get some coffee, and enjoy the scenery..............get to actually see some of the country, and get about 10 mpg while towing...........so if those idiots want to drive 70, 75, 80...........let them............10 miles an hour greater speed over a 6 hour day only gets you to your destination an hour (+-) early.........and no one got into this lifestyle to get from place to place quickly........................
100% agree. Retired. What's the rush?
Old 05-26-2017, 06:31 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2013 View Post
they can cancel sure, but they will never sue you, where do you get this BS from?
I agree. It's funny when I see some of the "experts" on the forum make statements like "The ins company might deny the claim because..........." I used to tow a 26' enclosed trailer with a combined length of 75' which is overlength in all states. I asked the ins company and was told that "unless a deniable circumstance is mentioned in the policy, the company must pay". That includes being overlength, exceeding the speed rating of the tires, speeding in general, failing to yield, drunk driving, etc. After the settlement, they can raise the rate or cancel, but only after they have paid the claim.
Old 05-26-2017, 06:32 AM   #21

I'm limited to a constant speed of 65mph as recommended by my toad's manufacturer. I assume due to heat build up in the transmission. I have the Freightliner V-ride rear suspension so I don't get much sidewind or semi truck push so handling is not an issue. What concerns me is STOPPING a 34,000 pound coach with a 4,900 pound toad.
Old 05-26-2017, 06:32 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm not retired, but with a 30 feet gasser I cruise at ~62 or 63mph and that's it, my Michelin are rated 70MPH anyway. Sometimes a 43' DP will pass me at 80, good for him!
Old 05-26-2017, 06:34 AM   #23

Thor Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magister54 View Post
I'm not retired, but with a 30 feet gasser I cruise at ~62 or 63mph and that's it, my Michelin are rated 70MPH anyway. Sometimes a 43' DP will pass me at 80, good for him!
Same here. 62 or 63 seems to be the sweet spot for our 30 footer. Once I retire I may go slower than that. Lol
Old 05-26-2017, 06:42 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerBoater View Post
Yes, but the tires on the vehicle are definitely not rated for 80MPH.

Sounds like this guy was a fool!
Erm mine are rated for 81 mph........

275/70 R22.5's
Old 05-26-2017, 06:49 AM   #25

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2013 View Post
I wrote that poorly. I meant the other people in any accident could sue you. I should read my comments more when its late at night!
Old 05-26-2017, 06:59 AM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
So, how fast were you driving? Indiana has a 70MPH speed limit on interstates for autos, 65 for trucks and vehicles pulling trailers.
Just to be clear, I was in my car and not the Ventana. My average speed was a bit over the speed limit, yes. But so was almost every other car. His overall average was probably about 75mph through that stretch, and because he got caught behind trucks I was able to get past him, although he did change lanes quickly (right in front of me once), especially considering his overall length was over 70'.

Considering the bouncing of his front end and the significant trailer sway, I had visions of all kinds of bad possibilities. Yes I wanted him behind me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeWat View Post
80 mph and you wanted him behind you... hmm. Lots of people like that around here; they feel they can hog the left lane and purposely prevent others from passing just because they're doing the speed limit, one of the biggest initiators to aggressive driving.
This is not how I drive, and I can't stand it when others do that. I'm a fast driver in a car because I am. I'm also a former track driver and a fanatic about safety. Do you really think I would play left lane vigilante while driving a Hyundai in front of a 30k pound coach pulling God knows what in a 28' trailer? No, I wanted him behind me...WAY behind me so that whatever carnage might occur was also behind me. I got in front and kept going.
Old 05-26-2017, 07:41 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmmonaco View Post
So I am a idiot for driving 70 in a 45 foot coach that rides and handles great at that speed...........just cuz you drive 60 mph.........on a interstate with a 65 or 70 mph speed zone............
Old 05-26-2017, 07:53 AM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
I'm an idiot too, just like the greyhound buses and all the semis that run 75 on the interstate. Don't know if greyhound still flogs it along like that cuz I don't see many any more, bit they used to. Every coach is different in the way they are maintained and every driver is different in their comfort and expertise level as well. If I worried about what I saw in the video of the MH rolling into the median, I would never leave my house because that could happen in your car as well. Do what makes you feel comfortable, but don't label others that are different in their ways from yours. Too much of that happening these days, afraid we are all learning it from watching the politicians and news.
Closed Thread