Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-27-2017, 10:08 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorcq View Post
And when there is an accident, the insurance company will look at the tires and may denied any claim.
Says who? Where is any vehicle insurance policy written to subjectively deny a claim because of tire condition?
Please provide the policy verbage stating that.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2017, 10:10 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knoxie89 View Post
Correct. They'll just drop your ass and or sue you personally for the damages they paid out.
Sue you for them having to pay up on a policy claim? Now that's a real knee slapper.
Old 05-27-2017, 10:20 PM   #87

Occasionally I will ride my motorcycle 100-130mph for a short burst in the right conditions.
I drive my DP 55-65 max. A 500# bike handles much better than a 15 ton RV.
It's all about common sense and level of comfort.
Old 05-27-2017, 11:18 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyman1 View Post
I'm an idiot too, just like the greyhound buses and all the semis that run 75 on the interstate. Don't know if greyhound still flogs it along like that cuz I don't see many any more, bit they used to. Every coach is different in the way they are maintained and every driver is different in their comfort and expertise level as well. If I worried about what I saw in the video of the MH rolling into the median, I would never leave my house because that could happen in your car as well. Do what makes you feel comfortable, but don't label others that are different in their ways from yours. Too much of that happening these days, afraid we are all learning it from watching the politicians and news.
I guess I'm another fool, my coach handles better as I drive above 65MPH in speed. However, I try to stay within 65MPH trying to hit that elusive 8MPG rate on the trip computer.

If the average speed of traffic around me is higher, and I find I'm holding up traffic in the right lane, then I'll forget the MPG and safely flow with the traffic, within my comfort zone.

I have no issue with stopping distance at higher speeds, because I pay attention and plan for a safe distance avoiding panic stops.

It seems some people are always looking for something to complain about. Judging others by what they are used to and perfectly comfortable with.

As stated, stay within your own comfort zone, and don't expect others to conform to your expectations.

We are all individuals from all walks of life, who have learned from all different experiences and levels of training.

Just like we all have relatives who have never left the county or state they live in, and who won't accept anything from outside of their area as right, they are one way only.

This forum is full of people who are well educated in more than one discipline. Who have traveled the world either by military assistance as I, or other means.

Travel broadens the mind, we are all travelers, so let’s not let the trivial things that we've learned to ignore take us back to a sedentary state of mind.

Think (HAPPY CAMPER)

DTW
Old 05-28-2017, 12:02 AM   #89

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Wow, it's very evident from the variety of opinions posted in this thread that speed is closely connected to ego. I learned to drive at age 16 in a Nash Metropolitan. When I was 19 I bought my first car, a '63 VW Microbus. I've never had much need for speed or equate hp to virility. I let others battle it out on the highways and try to steer clear of the highway machismo. Works for me in 50 years of driving.
I do not profess to be as good as waltrip or others , I drag race , 7.53 seconds in the quarter mile at 183 mph , but I like 55 in the tow rig , it is not a race then so why drive like it is , enjoy the scenery , and save a life , it could be yours
Old 05-28-2017, 12:54 AM   #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Interesting how many people feel they know more than the tire companies. Commercial tires (19.5 & 22.5) and LT type should not be operated above 75 max in RV service. ST tires should not run faster than 65 unless they have at least a 10% margin on both inflation and load (down from the table max).
You may have survived a number of high speed runs but you have most likely done microscopic damage to the structure of your tires. This is why many do not get full life from their tires.
Damage is cumulative. Damage does not repair itself.

Tires do not fail because of Magic or because of the zip code of the tire plant but because of Physics and Organic Chemistry.

My 22.5 inch tyres are rated for 81mph, the speed code is moulded right into them, interesting how many people feel they know about every tyre out there.......
Old 05-28-2017, 01:03 AM   #91

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
You have that in writing? What tire company?

Yes it's mounded into the tyre, firestone.
Old 05-28-2017, 02:23 AM   #92

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Heartland RV Club
Simi tires depending on the brand make etc etc can be rated different. Mine are rated at 85 on my truck, and I have run up to that and over it for a brief moment.

Same with LT and ST tires, the LTs I'm looking at for the MOHO are rated at 91MPH, and the ST ones I use on my trailers have an 81 MPH rating.

The idea of the 65 and 75 speed ratings are almost non existent anymore.

I always run the speed limit maybe +3 or so in my old (but newer) motorhome, but now that I have decided to go vintage and only have a 3 speed, I'm having to get the gear vendors to keep up, and of course Im making sure to put new shocks, safe t plus, bushings, improved bell crank and all new wearable parts up front and back. I also keep my fallowing distance alot farther as the vintage doesn't stop near as good as my newer rig did.

Drive at what you are comfortable and feel safe at, everyone else can stick it.
Old 05-28-2017, 07:51 AM   #93

Winnebago Owners Club
70 is my limit and only for passing or brief minutes for certain situations....remember, this is an RV (key word recreation) for fun....if youre in a hurry, drive something else or leave earlier....unfortunately, the accident this moron causes may end up hurting or killing someone else as well.....
Old 05-28-2017, 09:44 AM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBelchers View Post
....remember, this is an RV (key word recreation) for fun....if youre in a hurry, drive something else or leave earlier.....

Of course for some of us, speed is fun and even recreational.

Recreation definition: activity done for enjoyment when one is not working.
Old 05-28-2017, 10:25 AM   #95

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marknpeg View Post
I had that Corvette at 150mph on the track
Bet that wasn't during a sanctioned race and driving at high speed in itself isn't impressive. Show me your ability to take a 90 degree turn that has a 100' radius at 30 mph beside another car with better handling and I might me a bit more impressed. What is your fastest time on the road course at Daytona or Road Atlanta?

My daughter actually spun the Corvette before I did, and she is an excellent driver. How does spinning demonstrate driving capability?

All that to say, I think speed limits are ridiculous, but our process to grant driver's licenses are even more ridiculous.
Do you have an SCCA license or IMSA? Which tracks have you set lap records at in your Corvette?
Old 05-28-2017, 10:26 AM   #96

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired_Helo_Pilot View Post
Of course for some of us, speed is fun and even recreational.

Recreation definition: activity done for enjoyment when one is not working.
Speed can be fun FOR YOU. Do it on a race track or closed course where you don't put others at risk.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
Old 05-28-2017, 10:33 AM   #97

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
I do, Toyo M144 speed rated M, up to 81 mph. Some of their truck tires are N rated - up to 87 mph.

You do realize the test for those speed limits is only 30 minutes. After which the tire is considered scrap.

So after a drive with cumulative time above 81 how much life do you expect remains in your tires? Based on what scientific evidence?
Old 05-28-2017, 10:42 AM   #98

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by winniman View Post
Videos like this one might make you think twice about going 80 mph
everytime i watch this i get chills,
he almost saved it, then NOT.

i have seen many big coaches plowing right through at much more than 70.
i got passed in my suv, by an older holiday rambler, he was humping and i was already doing 75, all of his windows up front were open and curtains blowing in the wind, including two ar three baggage doors.
we slowed down to 70 and let him get out of sight. I just didnt want to see the disaster as it unfolded
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

Closed Thread