RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2017, 10:40 PM   #15

Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Go back and buy the BlueBird! I'm just a bit older and use ours the same way (maybe longer trips but we both still work/have a kid). This may not be a popular opinion, but I would stay away from that 2008 if it has emissions (dpf/etc...) on it. That was one of the first years for the more stringent technology and a lot has been learned since then. Maybe it is on a 2007 year chassis...who knows. Somewhere on here I posted the maintenance logs for my bus since new (I think you can click on my name and search posts).
dmurdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2017, 08:06 AM   #16

We upgraded from a very old piece of junk gasser to a pretty old (2002) DP and love the DP. One of the things that wasn't an issue when we bought but is now (I'm past 65 and have back issues) is the basement storage in our Fleetwood Expedition. There are no pull-out sliders, and no full width through storage bays. I can manage, but it sure would be nicer if I didn't have to dead lift everything out of the bays. You might think about putting this onto the "must have" list when you get around to buying.
ellisda1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 09:37 AM   #17

You can approach this from multiple viewpoints:

1) Pick your budget range and drop years to remain within budget and buy the highest quality DP that fits your needs. Then over the years maintain it, and upgrade and refresh the interior to your needs. I always consider a higher end older model DP to a 'strong foundation to build upon'.

2) If you feel you'd like to go use a coach for 5 - 10 years, then get out from under and purchase a newer coach in the future. Then perhaps purchase a middle of the road level DP and go out and use it basically as is. Sure maintain it, maybe update the TV's, but don't get too carried away on interior makeover as it is a planned coach to let go in the future. The when the time comes, go shopping per the #1's guidance.

Some mid level coaches that are great bangs for the bucks include:

-Winnebago Journey/Meridian/Ultimate Freedom
-Fleetwood Discovery/Expedition/Providence - maybe add in Revolution
-Rexhall Rose Air (On Spartan Mountain Master chassis, usually with ISC some have ISL. Rexhall builds one of the safest coaches on the highways, with all steel cage construction.)
-Newmar Dutch Star or even an older Mountain Aire (Which in many years I consider on the bottom side of the upper end coaches.)
-Country Coach Inspire or Tribute. Allure is like the Mountain Aire in that in some years it crosses over into the bottom side of the upper end coaches.
-National Almost any of their DP's. Islander/Tropical, etc.
-Monaco - Diplomat/Windsor (So many years with so many models, in some years Monaco had other coaches that would fit into the mid level quality coaches.)

Wound encourage shopping for side radiators (Though some of the models listed are rear radiator.), and mid size ISC/ISL or C7/C9 size engines. The ISB will get the job done in many of the coaches it comes in. But the midsize block engines will do things a bit easier for you.

And repeat that that is not a complete listing of middle level quality coaches. And nothing wrong if a good price higher end coaches, even and older one, comes up as a good deal on grabbing that. My point was pick a budget range a bit lower, if going with #2 - knowing it will be a coach replaced in the future. Another benefit is that older coaches have lower purchase points, and also lower slope on the depreciation curve ahead. That being said, good chance you'll lose 35-50% of purchase price of an older unit, with another 5-10 years of aging.

Best of luck to you,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas