Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-20-2016, 09:07 PM   #1

93 454 cracked block

My Dad has a 93 with the 454. The block is apparently cracked and needs to be replaced. He wants to stay away from 454, cause he has heard they are prone to cracking. Wondering what you guys have experienced. Could he put some other kind of engine in, such as a Caddy? Trying to do some research for him, and figure best route to go. Thanks for any help you could offer.
mlrailguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2016, 09:58 PM   #2

I'm not a Chevy guy , so I can't help with swap info ; I'll just chime in with this ; any kind of swap from Chevy to another brand of motor will kill resale $$, probably not a big deal on a 93 but if you think he'll ever be looking to sell the RV, that swap will rule out a lot of buyers.
Old 08-20-2016, 10:20 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Your dad just experienced some bad luck. The 454 is not prone to cracking, at least no more than any other engine. Switching is not an easy route as they were pretty much all computer controlled and programmed specifically for that engine and sensors. The only change that would be relatively easy ( but not cheap) would be to buy a Chevy 8.1 engine, which is just a bigger version of the 454.
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 10:22 PM   #4

Consider first, why did the block crack, allowing it to freeze?

The 454 block is not a problematic block.

It's one of the best blocks you can have for use in a motor home.

I would replace it with a create engine and know you'll have an engine that will out last the coach.

The other alternative would be to find one in a salvage lot, and have it freshened up.

Changing this engine out for another brand just because of unfounded rumors will be a headache, since not only the engine has to be changed, but also the transmission due to the mounting pattern.

Then also consider the drive shaft matting and length to match up with that transmission.

Don't shoot yourself in the foot on this one, keep it chevy, you won't be disappointed.

PS: If you don't like the big block, you can go small block, but the difference in torque (lower) will not empress you.

DTW
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 05:23 AM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
1982 PA with the 454 no problems 56,000 miles. I also would go with a crate engine if he plans on keeping it.
JMO<
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 05:50 AM   #6

I got a salvage Winnebago with the motor parts all over the floor inside the coach. Since I had no idea what happened to it I called my Chevy parts guy and without blinking he said reman. The thing matched up perfectly and had a great warranty. And we lived happley ever after, sold it and the new owner took it to Texas from NJ.
RayJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 06:26 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
The Chevy big block is no more prone to cracking then any other brand. I have run CBB in truck pulls with no block failures ever. However, the DS stock exhaust manifold is known to crack from high temp. The fix is to relief cut web between port runners. Or as I do run LT headers. If you can build a stock BB, stay away from 8.1 crate motor. Ain't worth the money.
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 07:21 AM   #8

Thanks guys. This is pretty much what I expected to hear. I love BBC myself.
mlrailguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags