Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-03-2019, 07:08 PM   #1

97 Freightliner VC chassis and trailer brake controller

I tried to use the search option with no luck. All I could find was a lot of irrelevant content. I have a 97 overland osprey riding on a freight liner VC chassis with air brakes and a Jacobs exhaust brake. I am on the search for an electric trailer brake controller. My concerns is finding one that plays nice with the exhaust brake. When the Jake kicks on it turns on the brake lights. if the trailer brake controller is triggered by the brake lights then in theory wouldn't that also energize the trailer brakes. This could smoke a set of brakes on a long grade. any info on a unit that works well with air brakes, and an exhaust brake would be great. Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2019, 07:18 PM   #2

Foretravel Owners Club
Do a "Google" for air over electric brake controller
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 08:51 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
Do a "Google" for air over electric brake controller
I have. I still haven't found a work around for the engine brake. even the air over electric controllers still have the brake light connection causing the unit to engage when the brake lights come on. https://www.etrailer.com/Brake-Contr...hoCIAMQAvD_BwE
Old 05-06-2019, 05:12 PM   #4

bump
Old 05-06-2019, 06:22 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I don't know the details, but I've read that the way to avoid that is to use a diode such that only the brake light switch (it's on the air treadle valve) can activate the trailer controller. I think the exhaust or engine brake wire tees into the brake light wiring downstream from the treadle valve switch, s a diode after the brake control tie-in but before the exhaust brake tee should prevent backfeed into the brake controller.

If you have a good quality inertial controller, e.g. Prodigy P3, having the controller active on a long downhill shouldn't be a problem. It's the time-based controllers that brake excessively if engaged for more than 10-15 seconds. They keep increasing the braking as time goes on.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, chassis, trailer