RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2018, 05:25 PM   #1

A/C, electrical problem

Ok here’s the deal:
2005 Tiffin Phaeton with front and rear AC units. Rear AC unit stopped all of a sudden. Did some routine diagnostics and determined that I have no power to the AC unit. Breaker is fine and I have power leaving the breaker but, no power at the other end where romax pigtails into the AC wiring harness. So, my questions are as follows; is there anything I’m missing like a fuse in between? And does anyone have any ideas on how to rewire the AC unit? Like how to route the wire?
FYI, I externally wired the breaker to the AC unit and it worked fine so I know there must be a break in the wire somewhere.....any help would certainly be appreciated thanks...Vegas Bob
Bob310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2018, 05:39 PM   #2

Not sure if it is a dedicated breaker or not but you can check all your outlets to see if one is not working. Maybe it’s tied into another outlet and that location is used as a junction box as well.
Jthigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 05:50 PM   #3

Ok I will try that. I noticed that in the cargo area under the coach there are numerous outlets that have plugs inserted in them. Any idea what these are for? They are plugged into the ceiling of the cargo area. Never noticed them before.
Old 03-21-2018, 05:54 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Where you on shore power or generator power. Do you have a power management system and what is your amp on your rig. If you have a power management system and you were at the top of your draw it will not come on.
Need more info on your system.
Old 03-21-2018, 05:58 PM   #5

I was on shore power and then on generator power. 50 and 30 amp respectively. Don’t believe I have a power management system.
When I bypassed the oem wiring and wired the breaker directly to the AC’s pigtail (just ran the wire down the hallway) everything worked fine.
Old 03-21-2018, 06:01 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Is your system a 30 amp system
Old 03-21-2018, 06:01 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
With a 5500 gen
Old 03-21-2018, 06:02 PM   #8

Yes
Old 03-21-2018, 06:03 PM   #9

Can you contact the MFG. And get that wire routing from them? Have you examined the cable at each end as far as you can to see if there's anything that can be done there? Your breaker is it located in a slide out? Maybe the movement of the slide has compromised the wire and broke it. FYI you could have conducted a continuity test with a multimeter and not routed a cable. It might have saved some time but your way also works. Another thing you might try is using a non-contact electrical tester and follow your cable as far as you can watching either the light or sound on the tester and when it stops there's your break. Just remembered there are leathel voltages there so use extreme caution both in and around your wiring. If the break is in an accessable location you could add a junction box to fix the broken cable. Good luck.
keger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 06:03 PM   #10

50 amp system I believe.
Old 03-21-2018, 06:06 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Mine is 30 amp with a 5500 generator. If I am on shore power and I get close to my limit the aft AC will not come on. I have a switch to select shore power or generator. But I made my systemic a 50 amp system to handle the load on shore power.
Old 03-21-2018, 06:07 PM   #12

Breaker box is located in the fridge, not in a slide out. I inspected the wire that is exposed but that only a total of 18 inches. I am calling manufacturer in the morning as they were already closed. As far as the continuity test , I did that as well as the external wire just to make sure!! Thanks
Old 03-21-2018, 06:10 PM   #13

Ok, I understand. But I know I have a wire issue because I did a continuity test as well as ran another wire to check it...

Tags
electric, electrical