Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2017, 06:42 PM   #1

A/C issue

Looking for suggestions. We have a 2014 Newmar Ventana. Left Florida 1 June. We are in Fresno, CA. Today, front a/c stopped working. Called Domestic. No help. Gave me two dealers in the area but they are booked solid until August. Called at least 10 other places to no avail.
When the a/c is turned on, it takes a few minutes before it starts to humming but it doesn't kick on. After several minutes of humming, it shuts off.
Leaving Fresno on Sunday going to Bakersfield for 3 days. Called at least 4 dealers there and they too are booked.
Any suggestions???
Det3033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2017, 08:38 PM   #2

You could try for local listings for Thermo King.
There are two in Fresno, one in Turlock, one in Bakersfield CA.
Home » Thermo King - Fresno and Turlock
There's also a CW a couple blocks away from where we stay in Bakersfield...
Best of luck.
J & J, DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali, 3500HD-Max, 4x CC, 8' DRW,
EZGo-TXT, Clubcar Precedent
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 08:43 PM   #3

Sounds like a bad starting capacitor. You can search the web and find info..
Most RV dealers stock hard start capacitors, I replaced them on both of my AC.
You take the shroud off and it is a simple change out.
Search this site for Hard Start Capacitor, you should find info you are looking for.
Darwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 08:50 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Sounds like an electrical problem. Any air conditioning Tech worth their salt could trouble shoot and repair it but if you are looking for warranty, you are probably stuck waiting for an RV tech. Call a few local air conditioning companies and see if one of them might help you out. Probably just a bad run capacitor anyway
chuckftboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 05:10 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin View Post
Sounds like a bad starting capacitor. You can search the web and find info..
Most RV dealers stock hard start capacitors, I replaced them on both of my AC.
You take the shroud off and it is a simple change out.
Search this site for Hard Start Capacitor, you should find info you are looking for.
I agree. Sounds like a start capacitor. It's a very easy replacement. AC units have 3 different capacitors and they are all in the same place. On the roof, once you pull the shroud off, there's a access panel on the side to all three. On this panel will also be ALL the info you need about your AC units. Make, model, serial# etc. Make sure the coach is disconnected from all power when changing capacitors out. There are many video's on YT that will show you how to do this if needed. I keep 3 new capacitors onboard as backups JIC.

If your AC/Heat Pump units are like mine which are Colemans' you can order parts here:
316-832-4357, option 2

Airxcel | AC, Heating & Appliances for Industrial and Personal Use

Here's what I paid for mine about a month ago.
Fan Capacitor - Part No. 1499-5461…....12.72
Start Capacitor - Part No. 8333A9021….21.84
Run Capacitor - Part No. 1499-5681…….13.92

If you can't do this or don't want to and all local shops are full, call a RV mobile repair in your area and they'll come out to your rig and do it for you but expect to pay a whole lot more than the prices I listed above + labor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A:C-info-placard.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	265.2 KB
ID:	169616   Click image for larger version

Name:	coil-1.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	318.5 KB
ID:	169617  

Click image for larger version

Name:	coil-2.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	288.6 KB
ID:	169618  
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 08:43 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Had my front a/c stop and found out one leg of my 50 amp service went out at the pedestal. Back air still worked. Make sure your power is ok. It's 99 degrees here in MO.
Old 07-24-2017, 03:22 PM   #7

Det,
Did you get your AC up and running? I was just curious if it was the capacitor?
Sunny1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 03:27 PM   #8

Darwin, MtnTrek, chuckftboy, Mario and Popcorn Man, thank you all for the quick reply to my a/c issues. You were all right about the run capacitor. Got to Bakersfield yesterday and Camping World worked me in today and confirmed a bad run capacitor. Tech used hand to start fan. Added a hard start but it still did not work. Called Dometic, part not kept in stock. Must order from China. Because I have a heat pump/a/c unit , this is a special order part. How can that be? When I called Dometic and Newmar, 2 pm west coast time, they had secured for the day. Has any one ever experienced anything similar?
Old 07-24-2017, 04:59 PM   #9

Capacitors

Do a search for Motor Starting Capacitors with the part number or the description you have.
Try McMaster Carr https://www.mcmaster.com/ https://www.mcmaster.com/#motor-main...trols/=18n4rwu in Southern California or
Grainger https://www.grainger.com/category/ca...gestConfigId=6
Grainger has locations in both Fresno and Bakersfield.

One or the other will have it in stock. Those are standard capacitors and it sounds like you reached someone who is too lazy to find it for you.
STLNLUV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 06:47 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Det3033, Goggle air conditioning wholesalers in your area. They will have the capacitor you need. On your bad capacitor there are 2 things you need Voltage and microfarads
Voltage will be 370 or 440 (this is max voltage it can take before failing)
Microfarads will be expressed as a Uf number
Air conditioning wholesalers keep hundreds of capacitors in stock as they are a very common part to fail and they are cheep.
chuckftboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 07:12 PM   #11

A big thanks to all the suggestions and concerns about my a/c issues. I made a minimum of 25 calls to businesses in Bakersfield and Ventura. Some could get the capacitor but it would take 2 or 3 days. I finally called Orangeland RV Park in Orange and got the name of a mobile unit that services there location. The owner has capacitors and will meet me on Friday when we arrive. Again, many thanks and will post the outcome and business.
Old 08-20-2017, 09:04 AM   #12

Thanks again to all who had concerns and offered suggestions when my a/c stopped working. For whatever reason, Dometc was out of stock for this needed capacitor. Other capacitors were tried but none worked. When all efforts failed to locate a capacitor, a new unit was installed. Again, thanks all.