Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-20-2020, 01:21 PM   #1

A/C Issues

HI GUYS! I own a 2019 Fleetwood Pace Arrow LXE. The AC on the dashboard works fine when the coach is still. As soon as I start driving it blows out only warm to hot air. Any advice? My dealer ( believe it or not ) can not solve the problem and now Im on the road for the winter. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Teddy1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2020, 01:26 PM   #2

Did they hang pressure gauges on it ?

If the refregerent charge is a bit high, a high pressure switch may be cutting out, once the RPMs of the compressor increases.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 01:45 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Kind of a long shot, but does your coach have vacuum switches for your dash air controls?

Many gassers do, but I've no idea about DPs. Vacuum controls can cause the problem you describe. I had 'em in my previous (gas) coach.

Vacuum controls work by applying or releasing vacuum to "vacuum servos" to move the flapper valves in a dash air system. There is one that opens or covers the various outlets that send air to the floor, dash, and windshield and another that "blends" hot and cold air between the heater core and the A/C core.

The last one sounds like it could be your problem.

Problems arise when there are leaks in the vacuum lines. As long as the engine is pulling a good vacuum everything works, but as soon as it's under load the generated vacuum drops and affected flaps go to their default position.

Leaks can be caused by pinholes or cracks in the vacuum lines, lines that have come off their fittings, or problems with the vacuum accumulator that such a system will have. No idea where it'd be in a DP, but probably somewhere near the vacuum source on the engine.

The accumulator's job is to provide a reservoir of vacuum (weird concept, I know) to keep everything working when engine demand causes generated vacuum to drop. Leaks don't let the accumulator build up the needed reserve.

In my previous coach I had a line come disconnected from the outlet selector switch causing the direction flapper to send everything to the windshield, in the spring, in the deep south. I was able to work around the problem by disconnecting the return spring on the affected vacuum servo and set it manually to send air through the A/C ducts until I could get it fixed.

Of course, if you don't have vacuum controls all of this is entirely irrelevant.

Regards,

Randy
groswald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 02:02 PM   #4

Two things I would check first.

Tightness of compressor belt.

Hot water valve to heater core. There should be shut off valves at the engine to test this.

Being a diesel coach it is unlikely you will have vacuum systems. I could be wrong though.

I suspect you have two or three minor issues contributing to your problem.
Xmcdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 06:14 PM   #5

The blend door and the fresh air doors are the 2 places I'd start... If the fresh air door is open and its not designed to be open during AC.... nothing much can happen sitting in the bay.... but at speed you have 40, 50 MPH air pushing lots of air across the coils when its not designed to be....

Or the blend door is not working correctly and it can handle the air flow when its stopped but not going down the road....

My chassis has a small electric vacuum pump to supply vacuum to the vacuum chambers on the coach... a diesel has no vacuum... if you have a gas engine you don't have a vacuum pump but it needs engine vacuum to run the vacuum chambers.... engine vacuum is highest at idle... usually above 25", at cruise I'm guessing you'd be lucky to read 16-18" of vacuum because of the engine load and how it works.... any leak in the vacuum system would mean those chambers won't work correctly against spring tension...

Hope some of this gets you in the right direction
Old 12-20-2020, 06:22 PM   #6

Diesels don't produce vacuum, there are no throttle plates restricting the incoming air. The air is actually blown in with turbo chargers.

If it has vacuum controls, there will be a vacuum motor run by electric or air from the brake system. That's something the dealer should have easly checked and wouldn't drop out under load.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 06:30 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Vacuum issue or blend door not operating properly. Start checking the vaccum system.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 06:41 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Jelag,

Thanks. I know zip about diesels, but the OP’s problem sure sounded like the vacuum related door issue I had. A vacuum pump makes sense.

Regards,

Randy
groswald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 08:15 AM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by groswald View Post
Jelag,

Thanks. I know zip about diesels, but the OP’s problem sure sounded like the vacuum related door issue I had. A vacuum pump makes sense.

Regards,

Randy

I always have my generator running. That way you can run the house A/C and heat pumps as needed.
Leary54 is offline   Reply With Quote