Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-17-2012, 09:00 AM   #29

I think the workhorse will have two different depending on the year of the chassis. Most likely the same for Ford. I personally would drive both.
I think Workhorse was the chassis of choice by a lot of people in the early 2000's. I have been pleased with mine.

I'm sure either one will give you years of good service if maintained properly.

Looks like you are on a good path to narrowing down what you like.
Bug512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2012, 09:07 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
yes you should consider diesel...i went with the older unit so i could get diesel and they have much nicer ride and i think handle better than gassers..you dont have kow anything about them really just do the required maintenence like gas and you are good to go..plus better milage but does cost a little more to change oil..jeff
Figure in that the cost of diesel has been more at the pump in the past couple of years.

$3.29 vs. $3.85 here at the local Hess station. So a extra $56.00 per 100 gallons.
Old 12-18-2012, 05:54 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
You can buy a Fleetwood product with 30 amp service and it will run both airs if it has the Ems system. I did not like paying extra for 50 amp service and I did not like fighting the 50 amp cord in the wintertime. We bought a 1998 Pace Arrow because it had this system.
We just purchased a 2003 Pace Arrow 37A with 30 amp service. You just answered my question about running both airs at the same time. Thanks!

Stano
Stano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:59 AM   #32

Two A/C's are the new trend. Same for 50 amp rigs. With two A/C units you can stay nice and cool in 90 degree temps. When only 1 A/C is needed you can run the one opposite where you are.

Example - when watching TV we run the Bedroom A/C, when sleeping we run the Living Room A/C. This works great if both A/C's are ducted together.

The Winnebago Sightseer is a good unit. What a few people have said is you might be better off getting a slightly used Adventurer which is a step up from Sightseer. I kinda agree. Winnebago makes an Adventurer 32H. What they are saying is a 2011 Adventurer 32H may be better than a 2013 Sightseer.
What you get on the top model are things just make MH nicer. One thing I know is the holding tanks on the Adventurer are larger than on the Sightseer. That is nice if you ever dry camp or boondock.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:27 PM   #33

We have a 30 foot Class A gasser and do most of our camping in the mountains out west. I can count on one hand the number of times we needed the one A/C unit we have. On the other hand the furnace has been used so much I couldn't count the days. Really depends on where you spend your time. Way down south I have no doubt two A/Cs would be a huge benefit. All depends I guess.
rumrunnerxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:52 PM   #34

I have 30' Class A with just one A/C, and it's been adequate.

Our coach came with a 13,500 BTU A/C as standard, but we upgraded to the optional 15,000 BTU. There was not an option for two A/C units.

Here's what we found. If the coach started off cool in the AM, and if you had a decently shaded campsite, the A/C could easily keep the coach in the low 70's all day in 105 degree temps.

If it was an unshaded campsite and the same conditions interior temps would reach the upper 70's by 4-5 PM.

If we were driving down the road in 105-110 temps, then the combination of roof and dash A/C would keep us in the mid 70's.

The only time we found one A/C inadequate is if the coach got really hot (over 90 inside) and it was hot (over 100 outside), then it would take hours and hours (like 5 or 6) for the A/C to catch up and cool the coach down below 80.

Mind you, all of this is in a coach with dark colored full body paint. I don't know how much better two A/C's would perform in similar circumstances/conditions.

For us, although a second A/C would have been a nice option, we haven't found the lack of a second A/C to be a significant issue. However, we haven't traveled anywhere where daytime temps exceeded 113. And of course, we don't have the redundancy of a 2nd A/C if ours goes out. YMMV.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:12 PM   #35
TAZ

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Moonshine makes some good points. In the shade our one unit would keep up on the hottest days. In the sun we struggled, but it was not unberible. We only had a 13.5k btu unit on a 32 footer. It worked but we opted to add a second 13.5k unit. A single 15k unit may have done fine. In this case size might matter. Although we could survive resonably comfortabe with the one unit, I do like having two units so we don't struggle. We set one lower than the other and alternate so the bedroom runs most of the time durring the day and the bedroom almost never runs at night. One unit would not be the end of the world.

Improvise, adapt and overcome... "Semper Fi"
TAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:14 PM   #36

You could always get a portable unit for extra cooling when you know you are going to camp during higher temperatures.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:16 AM   #37

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stano View Post
We just purchased a 2003 Pace Arrow 37A with 30 amp service. You just answered my question about running both airs at the same time. Thanks!

Stano
Just remember, You still only have thirty amps to use. If you turn on the microwave, the shed system will turn off the compressor on your AC. The AC will still run, but the compressor will run on the front AC for 8 minutes and then switch to the back and run for 5 minutes. As soon as your microwave turns off the AC's will go back to full time. Also don't turn every light in the coach. It will load up the converter and the AC's will start shedding. Most of the time you will not even know this is happening. It will only make a difference in extremely hot conditions. We live in Georgia and it gets hot here and I have never noticed my coach shedding in the six years I have owned it. It has done it, but It just doesn't cause any problems. The only way you will know it is happening is by watching the little red led shed light on the control panel blinking.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:26 AM   #38

If parked with electrical service you could use a portable unit with a extension cord that runs to the power post.