RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-25-2020, 08:24 AM   #1

A/c window unit in stationary motor home

Hi again....Since we canít get the parts and canít really afford it right now anyways to repair the rear a/c, we have decided to put a window unit in the bedroom window of our stationary 1996 National Tropical.
Can anyone tell me how strong the wall of the RV is....i.e., can I put mounting brackets on the RV itself, or do I have to build a support from the ground up (a slight problem because of the storage bins underneath that I donít wish to block)
Thanks for your input,
Sandy
Miraflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2020, 09:48 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
It really depends on the size of the AC. I 6000 BTU unit only weighs about 50 lbs and if you can get it slightly balanced probably wouldn't be a problem. A 30000 BTU AC is 200 lbs or more and will definitely need support.

If it were me I'd support any AC I put in. Just put a wider support in to keep the supports from blocking the storage access. Put a little triangulation at the top to make it stiff.
Old 11-25-2020, 09:49 AM   #3

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I'm not sure on the overall strength question, but in terms of building something for additional support without blocking storage bays, you could always look at some way to use wire/cable and have the support come from the top (holding the outside edge of the AC unit) instead. Absolute worst comes to worst (it would look ugly), you could run the wire/cable/strap form the outside edge of the AC unit, all the way over the roof and back down to the stakes in the ground on the other side of the RV that are far enough from the RV to not block any storage bays on that side either.
Or you could build the supports to the ground, but angled out away from the RV to allow for access to the storage bays.
TowDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 10:07 AM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Definitely provide additional support for the unit. Another issue is you RV A/C unit is 12,500 or 15,000 BTUH. The small cheap window unit are only 5000 to 6000 BYUH, so it will not cool nearly as well.

Ken
Old 11-25-2020, 10:36 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
You could put a support from the back of the A/C down to the wall right above the storage bay doors, if you don't mind putting screws into the wall.
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 11:44 PM   #6

I would create a plywood panel slightly wider than than. AC unit and full height of window . The plywood a couple inches wider than inside opening. Then I would clamp it in, use strips and spacer boards for sides and bottom all sealed with closed cell foam weather strip and caulk. No board at top so not to hold rain. Just squeeze to wall by screwing wood together. You may need to rip custom width spacer boards on table saw slightly under wall thickness. I would have nice base boards to support bottom of AC. If you have awning over AC /window waaaayy better. A 7.5-8 K btu is only slightly more size and weight not much more price or power supply needs.
153stars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 09:45 AM   #7

I LOVE this Forum!! What great ideas, thank you all for your generous creativity!!
Happy Thanksgiving!
Miraflo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motor, motor home, wind, window