Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-03-2017, 08:24 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
A few Newb Questions...06' Monaco Exec

Ok I was wondering about Air Pressure in tires. Does anyone carry around a small air compressor to add air to tires?

I'm looking for Dually valves? I was told by the inspection company to get them. Anyone know of a good source? they are for the tires pictured below.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9554.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	279.9 KB
ID:	167364  
Ocean Mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2017, 09:00 AM   #2

A number of members carry a small 120 volt compressor , you have to be sure the one you get will do 120 psi + , 150 is better.

There are a number of extender options available , but after the trouble my B-in-L had with his; causing low pressure due to leaks; I prefer to use the proper tire gauge and air chuck , for truck dual wheels.
Old 07-03-2017, 09:03 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Mist View Post
Ok I was wondering about Air Pressure in tires. Does anyone carry around a small air compressor to add air to tires?

I'm looking for Dually valves? I was told by the inspection company to get them. Anyone know of a good source? they are for the tires pictured below.
for the tire valves, I use Borg Tire

www.borgtiresupply.com New tubes and new rubber grommets to fit into your chrome wheels to help support the fill tubes. I got rid of the braded tire fill lines. They are prone to leaks.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 09:10 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I have the Viar 450. Great little pump. Can easily top off my tires. Very compact and very expensive. I have had it for 3 years and would leave home without it.

Actually, the motorhome is our home but glad to always have it. It is not easy to find a place to fill tires. You could always use the on-board Compressor however it is a real pain.
Old 07-03-2017, 09:29 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Why don't you use the on-board compressor?
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 09:30 AM   #6

I use a litlle pancake 120v compressor, 150 psi. And I carry a 50 air hose and a reliable accurate inflator gauge. I had the Borg bolt on valve stems put on as soon as I bought the MH, turns out I already had an inside dual with a leak due to a bad valve stem (at Les Schawb, cost was $350 to install the valve stems) And a manual Truckers gauge to check pressures. A TPMS is on my wish list. You know, I'm a bit obsessive about tire pressure after seeing videos of front tire blowouts on MHs, the good news is that when I check my tires, the tire pressures is always right on the money! Relief. Get your rig weighed, 4 corner weighing is best; I had Tom do mine; RV Scales | Weigh To Go, LLC

https://www.amazon.com/Heavy-Duty-Di.../dp/B0094JZSR8

Dual Head Straight Chuck Inflator Gauge - Inflator - Gauges | Miltonindustries.com

https://www.lowes.com/pd/PORTER-CABL...MDAaAodI8P8HAQ
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 09:32 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
First if you need to add air more than a couple times in months have those tires checked. Add the solid , EZ to use valve extenders. Yes this cost because the tires need demounting to install. Many carry a small 150# pancake compressor, can be picked up on sale $100 at Lowe's or Home Depot.

LEN
Old 07-04-2017, 05:07 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I use the onboard compressor.

If there is a slow leak check the schrader valves and tighten the valve stem nut, they are the most likely suspects. If someone has added a braided hose from the inside dual it is a likely suspect.
Old 07-04-2017, 05:40 AM   #9

I picked up my, new to me, MH last Monday. I had them put valve extenders on because I couldn't see how to check the air pressure on the inner tire. They put the braided ones on. I took it on a shake down cruise on Wednesday and my stepson was thankfully following me. He said one of my tires looked low. Checked the air pressure, 0 lbs. We spent a couple hours getting 70 lbs in the tire. Next morning it was at 12 lbs. Called Good Sam Roadside Assistance the next morning and they came thru big time.
BBQ Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 05:55 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
If you ran a tire with "0" pressure chances are you damaged it and possible damaged the one next to it due to excessive weight. Only way to tell is to have them unmounted and inspected. I would still be skeptical of the tire and would not run.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 06:50 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Mist View Post

Here's what I did. I first got a six position weight. Then I checked with the load chart for my tires and inflated them the the recommended amount plus 5 psi on a 60* morning with the tires cold. Then I installed TPMS so I knew the pressures each morning before I started for the day. The tires are always above the minimum and never above the maximum pressure for the tire when cold. Most years, I can run for 9-10 months before I need to add any air. I do not use the dually valve system. Never felt the need for it and I feel it's better to have individual pressure sensors, so I know if something is not right with each tire. I used to carry a compressor in the trailer, but not towing a trailer anymore, plus it's so simple and easy to fill from the onboard compressor using a bleeder valve to kick it in at the higher pressures needed for the steer tires. I like to keep things simple. Good Luck
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 07:11 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
When I replaced my tires I had bought these valve stems to fit my exact wheels and had them installed. Solid steel stem from the inside tire and a big rubber grommet to fit in the outside wheel hole to stabilize the long inside stem. Short 90 degree outside stem pointed out. Both are easy air up and NO leaks from flexible hose connections. Makes it easy to wash the wheels with no hoses running everywhere......

Diesel Pusher - Class A Motorhomes & Buses (STEEL WHEELS)

Give them a call, they really know there business and your wheels...

Dave
Old 07-04-2017, 08:01 AM   #13

Yes to four corner weight. Pack as you are ready to go, full fuel, and I suggest full water too. Then the charts as mentioned.

On our duals, I went with Cats Eye.

Cat's Eye® - Link

-One less TPMS sender to buy
-As we were learning our coach, I'd take temperature readings of the tires at each stop, and the inside duals always ran hotter then the outside duals. After adding Cats Eye, the temperatures were basically the same.

And I agree that at least for us, 6-9 months is very common to go without needing to touch up the air pressure. (When you get your tire PSI from the chart, add 10% on top of the recommended PSI. As this gives you lots of extra contingency to lose a pound or two of PSI.) So I left our air compressor at home, and do always have the coach's air to use if needed. And I did pick up an air doubler too (Les Swchab sells them.). I've never needed to add air on a trip.

And yes I too recommend TPMS being a good safety item to buy for coach and toad, and with that size coach - get the repeater to send the signal from the toad to the coach cockpit too!

Best to you,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 09:21 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Thank you my Monaco Brother's and Sister's...

I want to thank you guys for some very informative posts!

I was actually going to buy the VIAIR 400p for RV, and the bouble headed chuck, and Then I read smittys Cats-eye thingy and It really made total sense

you have to have your duals with an equalized air pressure.

I say this because as I was airing up my tires, and that's another story i'll tell you shortly, I set the TAg at 80psi. However, even though I let out a lot of air, it kinda still read around 80 psi, so even though a regular 150PSIGauge read 80 psi it could be still off...

you would need a more accurate gauge, that you could dial in to the 1/10th of a psi...and that's too much hassle and it could change while your driving...

I'm not sure as of yet which one to buy. There's a 100psi and a 110psi

Someone said I should run:

110psi in the fronts.

100psi in the Duals
and

80psi in the Tag

Now for the Story...

My 8yr old Craftsman 15 Gallon 150psi, will not pump above 105psi! So I can't get my 2 fronts to 110psi...

It big a beautiful and only used 5 times a year??

Still thinkiing about the Viair 400P for RV

But where is the compressor on the Rig that some have said is a hassle?

Will it air up my fronts to 110psi...?
Ocean Mist is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
monaco