RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-21-2017, 01:38 PM   #1

A few questions regarding pulling a scooter/car behind my Class A MH.

I am looking at buying a Class A MH and I plan on towing either: a Honda Ruckus scooter, or a Honda Civic (2door) behind me for easy transportation. Any suggestions on what apparatus I should consider buying?

Also, how might this effect my gas mileage?
MrWanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2017, 01:58 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum, MrWanderlust.

I would be helpful to know what you have for a MH so that we can best answer your question. For the future, it is recommended that you put that information in your signature (e.g., see my signature). For purposes of this question, we would also appreciate a little background on how you plan to use your MH (e.g., full-time, a few weekends plus a two week vacation, etc.).

Also, it is beneficial if you first search the Toads & MH Towing forum as there are many posts addressing the very question you posed. Best to use the Google search function.
Delaware beaches ----- DW & Kip the Wonder Dog
Sandy Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 02:05 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWanderlust View Post
I am looking at buying a Class A MH and I plan on towing either: a Honda Ruckus scooter, or a Honda Civic (2door) behind me for easy transportation. Any suggestions on what apparatus I should consider buying?

Also, how might this effect my gas mileage?
the effect on your mileage will be negligible. but before you buy a MH be sure you understand the weight the MH can pull as well as it's weight ratings. neither of the vehicles you want to tow likely weigh much but you also may decide to tow something heavier down the road. buying the right MH now may save you some worry and $.

in general, the maximum amount of weight you can safely tow will be the lesser of the following:

- the GCWR (gross combination weight rating) of the MH minus the actual weight of the MH as it is loaded for travel (includes fuel, fresh water, food, clothing, people, pets, supplies, etc.)

- the weight rating of your tow bar

- the weight rating of your hitch

good luck. if you're unsure about anything be sure to ask before, not after, you buy.

rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 02:08 PM   #4

A few questions regarding pulling a scooter/car behind my Class A MH.

Go to the web use best vehicle to tow you will see all the ones that can be towed with out lot of add onís and mods
Old 10-21-2017, 02:09 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club

The Ruckus scooter could be mounted on a receiver rack. To tow a Honda Civic, first determine that the year, model, and transmission permits 4 down towing. (Check the owner's manual) If it can be used as a 'Toad' then you'll need to purchase and install a base plate on the car. The base plate allows hooking up a tow bar to connect to the receiver hitch on the MH.

If you buy all new, the baseplate, tow bar, wiring for lights, and an auxiliary brake will cost around $2,500 to purchase, perhaps another $800 or so to have installed.

The other option is to buy a tow dolly for your front wheel drive Honda and tow the Civic or any other car behind the RV.

Mileage will be impacted by the additional weight behind the RV, according to the RV size and whether gas or diesel, it could be 1-2 mpg more to tow.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 02:32 PM   #6

Congratulations! Just went through the car-towing search myself - here are my tips.

- you didn't say if you hope to tow the Civic "flat" aka "recreational tow" aka "four wheels down" on the ground, but if you do, you need to be sure the vehicle is suitable for that. The owners manual should have that info and in today's world you can find them in pdf format with Mr Google's help. If not designed for flat towing, $SERIOUS damage can result to the transmission. It's a maze to navigate, but you've gotta do it. In my case, I learned that a Honda CR-V is flat-towable only up to 2014 model, and after that, it's not. I think it comes down to what drives lubrication in the transmission (wheel-side vs. engine size), and how neutral works.

- FWIW, Honda CR-Vs, Jeep Wranglers and Cherokees are by far the most commonly seen dingys in my area (western US). Again, you've gotta check the manual and the exact year and equipment for suitability. That said, I've seen everything from SMART cars to GMC Denalis and full-size pickups.

- If you flat-tow, buy a good tow bar - it will be way, way easier to use than a cheap one. Just about anywhere in the US, you have to have a braking system and lights connected to the MH, in the 'toad,' You'd probably be stupid to to try to get around this. Set aside more money than you'd expect - maybe $4k for outfitting. I use Roadmaster for tow bar and brakes, but there are other good options too. I have no other experience, but I think the Roadmaster equipment works great.

- if not flat-towable, some cars can be towed on a "dolly" that gets the front wheels off the ground. Similar to flat towing, you need to check the owners manual. AWD vehicles are particularly unhappy with this situation, I believe.

- You can tow just about anything if you drive it up on a flat-bed trailer. You just have to be sure to secure the load well.

- Your MH will have a rated capacity for tongue weight (close to zero for a flat-towed car; hundreds of pounds for a trailer with car), Gross Combined Weight Rating (MH + towed load), and Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (MH only) - do all the math and be sure you are inside the the limits with some margins. GCWR - GVWR - hitch rating, if that's not explicitly shown

- For the Ruckus, I think the weight is 200-300 pounds? There is a variety of motorcycle 'carriers' that mount to your hitch receiver, although I don't know if you can do that and tow something at the same time. Of course you could put it on the flat trailer with your car. Google for "hitch receiver motorcycle carrier" to see some options. I've seen Harleys carried this way.

I'm no expert, but if you want more of my opinions, direct message me here on the site.
Old 10-21-2017, 07:23 PM   #7

You might post the size of motorhome you intend to buy. Your other post indicated a $16,000 budget for purchasing a class A model. As you can see, to set up a car for towing safely can cost $2500 or more. That only leaves $14,000 or less for the motorhome. I appreciate what your goal is, but to do it even on a slim budget, is going to take at least twice what you say you have available. I wish you well with your search.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 05:54 AM   #8

Take a look at ford cars. I pull a focus all tires down. Easy day with 2017 Winnebago Vista (gas) 31be. If you can drive a stick that makes shopping for a car less painful. Good luck.
deeojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 10:01 AM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeojoe View Post
Take a look at ford cars. I pull a focus all tires down. Easy day with 2017 Winnebago Vista (gas) 31be. If you can drive a stick that makes shopping for a car less painful. Good luck.
Not all manual transmission vehicles are approved for towing 4 down. CHECK THE OWNER'S MANUAL.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, scooter