Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2017, 05:41 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Run View Post
I just read the article, the WIX is a nominal rating the Fleetguard is SAE J 1095.
"Fleetguard SAE J 1095"
I couldn't find what this represented .
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2017, 08:00 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
"Fleetguard SAE J 1095"
I couldn't find what this represented .
Here you go, a day's worth of reading J1985: Fuel Filter - Initial Single-Pass Efficiency Test Method - SAE International
Old 08-23-2017, 10:02 AM   #17

Interesting phone call today to Baldwin filter company. I requested micron ratings for the BF1272-SPS which is my secondary filter, it is 9 micron nominal and 25 absolute. The primary filter is a BF1272, its rating is 10 absolute. The secondary filter comes with the required post seal, the primary has an internal post seal.
Old 08-23-2017, 10:47 AM   #18
Community Moderator

good info. yeah got to be careful.
i have always been using fleetguard. they build the engines and they know their stuff.
donaldson used to be the maker of cat filters. it should be good too.
all others i can't be sure i would ever try one.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 03:07 PM   #19

The safest thing to do is buy the filters made by the company that makes the engine.
Old 08-24-2017, 12:47 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooverbill View Post
The safest thing to do is buy the filters made by the company that makes the engine.
None of the engine manufacturers build their own filters. They spec them out and the filter makers bid on lots of X amount over Y time frame. They define everything from nominal micron passage to number of pleats. NAPA is about the most consistent with using Wix filters an their provider. The CAT shop that used to do the work on the trucks I was driving would tell the owner who was making them at that time and give him the chance to alternative source them. I know about 2002 Motorcraft caught a bad batch of filters that came from Purolator and they pulled back 25k filters. I had two leaking on patrol cars and blamed the installer until I got an email about it. Luckily I still had the case with the lot numbers. They paid for oil changes for 7 we knew about for sure and two that were maybes. There ended up being a shortage of NAPA Gold and Wix filters also because of it.
Old 08-24-2017, 06:24 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Run View Post
Absolutely certain, the specs are right out of my CUMMINS owner's manual! The secondary filter should be no more than 2-3 microns. I'll save you the torture of spending three nights of reading forums until midnight to be sure!
That's interesting. It seems there is a lot of conflicting information out there about what to use. My manual just specifies the part numbers for the filters. I looked up their specs and figured out the Raycore was 30 micron and Fleetguard was 10 micron. The PO was using NAPA filters and both were 2 micron.
Old 08-24-2017, 07:25 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
That's interesting. It seems there is a lot of conflicting information out there about what to use. My manual just specifies the part numbers for the filters. I looked up their specs and figured out the Raycore was 30 micron and Fleetguard was 10 micron. The PO was using NAPA filters and both were 2 micron.
I was using two manuals, one thick paperback and one online. The online manual has the more specific filter requirements albeit it is a newer version. I copied and pasted that section a few posts back. After reading many, many, threads in various places over a couple of days, it appears that a 2-3 micron filter is used as a primary and a secondary quite often. The Dodge CUMMINS forums all have threads on this since the OEM installed one canister filter and it's available in 7 micron only. I have one of them, will be adding another filter to it also.
Old 08-24-2017, 11:08 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowells View Post
...None of the engine manufacturers build their own filters. ...
Okay, you don't like my wording...The safest thing to do is buy the filters approved by the company that makes the engine....or OEM filters
Old 08-24-2017, 07:49 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooverbill View Post
Okay, you don't like my wording...The safest thing to do is buy the filters approved by the company that makes the engine....or OEM filters