Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2015, 06:35 AM   #1

A fresh Banks question

I've read thru all the threads that came up in my search. Seems that almost everyone gets off topic so I'll try a fresh one.

I have a 2012 Tiffin 34TGA with the Ford V10. I don't have an 8.1, 454 or diesel so I'm not asking about any of those engines.

I am looking for feedback from people who have installed a Banks exhaust on a coach similar to mine.

All threads seem to focus on pulling power or mileage. Although performance improvement would be nice, I'm more interested in getting heat out of the engine compartment and away from the engine/trans.

Feedback is appreciated.

Jim
whiterhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2015, 08:03 AM   #2

When I had a V-10 *( it was a 1999) I put the banks kit on.... it was an easy install. Everything fit right and for the old V-10 there was a noticeable power increase and improved drivability. No more downshifting on interstate overpasses. I never measured the temperature before/after so can't address that part, I would imagine the headers move out the exhaust better and thus would result in a somewhat cooler compartment. I did fully insulate my doghouse and floor areas with marine engine compartment insulation. Makes it a lot quieter and much less heat is transferred to the floor and doghouse.
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 08:10 AM   #3

Thanks. I probably should have put this thread in the Ford Chassis section.

I'm not experiencing heat in my coach as much as looking to improve the life of things. We recently did a 3500 mile trip to Yellowstone, not pulling anything behind. I ran highway speeds usually letting the cruise do the work other than on steep inclines. When we got home I did a crawl under inspection and noticed that where my exhaust comes close to the trans pan that the pan showed dark signs of heat. Therefore, I know that my exhaust is adding heat to my trans. At the very least, I am going to add a heat shield in that area. But I'd also like to improve the life of my driveline as much as possible.

I have upgraded my hitch and occasionally tow upwards of 10,000 pounds. It's not really a performance issue around Michigan and I don't ever expect to tow that load in the mountains. But grades are grades and if I can reduce heat, it's something worth considering.
Old 10-03-2015, 11:27 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiterhino View Post
Thanks. I probably should have put this thread in the Ford Chassis section.
I have upgraded my hitch and occasionally tow upwards of 10,000 pounds. It's not really a performance issue around Michigan and I don't ever expect to tow that load in the mountains. But grades are grades and if I can reduce heat, it's something worth considering.
Exceeding the GCVWR is a condition that the Banks System will not fix. Many parts of the coach, in addition to the hitch, come into play when determining the max weight of coach and towed combined. If ever in an accident, pulling a 5 ton trailer with a gasser will make some lawyer rich.
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 12:29 PM   #5

Well as normal it didn't take long for an off topic post.
Old 10-03-2015, 09:52 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
IMHO the Banks Power pack on the ford V-10 30 valve 362 HP is a waste of money. It won't do you much good. Been there and done that.
Mel
Old 10-04-2015, 08:28 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My 99 V10 has the banks system. It was on the coach when we purchased it.

Not sure how it would perform without the system.

I am on topic but of no help.
Old 10-04-2015, 09:59 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfpgb View Post
My 99 V10 has the banks system. It was on the coach when we purchased it.

Not sure how it would perform without the system.

I am on topic but of no help.
Yes you are on topic.

I was in the same predicament as you. I also had a 99 with a Banks system but it was there when I bought it.
Old 10-04-2015, 10:37 AM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Before I would go to the expense of a banks exhaust system if heat is your worry I would go to a Muffler shop and reroute the Exhaust pipe if possible away from what ever you think it is to close to. I would then put a heat shield on the pipe where needed. I would also insulate the dog house and surrounding floor. It does get hot in the engine compartments especially on a hot day and pulling a long hill, but if you take it easy, gear down and keep the RPMs up, you should not have any problems. The banks system is not going to make the engine or exhaust system run much cooler for the cost. Especially on the newer ford V10 engines. I have had the banks headers and exhaust system on 3 motor homes and the only one it made a difference on was a 95 Chev 454 engine. I had it on a 97 Georgie Boy V8 and it did not keep it from vapor locking when it was hot. it did solve the cracking exhaust manifold problem. I had it on a Ford V-10 and it did not solve a thing. In my HO it is a waste of time and money on the newer ford V10's, especially the ones with 30 valves and 362 HP which is probably the engine you have.
Mel
Old 10-04-2015, 11:52 AM   #10

Thanks Mel. Yes, that's the engine I have and yes, I think heat shields are a far better bang for the buck. I'm not hearing anyone say that they saw a great improvement on the newer engines.
Old 10-04-2015, 12:24 PM   #11

I know nothing about Banks products but I believe heat shields would help. I'm thinking of metal shields, not some reflective material that sticks to surfaces.
For example, Heat shields on wood burning appliances like wood stoves or pellet stoves decrease the required clearance to combustibles like walls, drapes, etc by half or more.

1994 Holiday Rambler Navigator
Cummins 8.3
Allison MD3060
GA Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 12:28 PM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhbell View Post
IMHO the Banks Power pack on the ford V-10 30 valve 362 HP is a waste of money. It won't do you much good. Been there and done that.
Mel
That's what I've heard also. I did them on a 460 and ISC 350 and those were major improvements.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote