Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-13-2014, 10:00 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2NewRVers View Post
I'm not sure how you can tell that a DP you see on the road is being pushed around more than you? Please explain?
Driving up I-15 with the Santa Ana's Blowing. A DP in front of me was getting moved out of it's lane with each strong gust while I was keeping it well within the lines.

Driving on a small two lane highway following a smaller Tiffin DP when a Semi blew by. It pushed him into the white stripe and barley nudged my unit.
StevenNSteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2014, 10:16 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenNSteph View Post
Driving up I-15 with the Santa Ana's Blowing. A DP in front of me was getting moved out of it's lane with each strong gust while I was keeping it well within the lines. Driving on a small two lane highway following a smaller Tiffin DP when a Semi blew by. It pushed him into the white stripe and barley nudged my unit.
Funny to read these"stories". Let's face it, we all drive cracker boxes on wheels. I love driving my coach, but I don't care if you have a small van conversion or a tag axle DP, you will be affected by gusts of wind. I travel with other families with gassers, and they want one like mine. I went from a 5er to a MH so I take their word for it. All I know is they fall back on climbs and I get to smell their brakes on grades.

2013 Palazzo 33.3
HVAC Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 10:33 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koop View Post
StevenNSteph, you and Kirk (whom I believe is the originator of the post on Escapees that you point to) may try to convince newbies that gassers are the way to go.

PLEASE read me posts in totality before you start making unwarranted assumptions. Nowhere have I posted that Gassers are the ONLY way to go, in fact I have touted the benefits of diesels and when I feel they are the ONLY way to go. In fact the conclusion of the last post made it perfectly clear where I stood:
"Granted nothing drove like my tag axle (don't let anyone fool you, all tag axles have a built in force field generator that deflects wind ) and yes my single axle DP drove better than this "beast" but to hear the comments made by some here makes you wonder why gassers are even licensed to travel the roads if they are so unmanageable."

In my first post on this thread I concluded with this:
"Bottom line: As another IRV2 poster said - How much are you going to drive? Drive a lot get a DP, Drive a little a gasser is just fine."

I don't see how these posts OR any other in my history here on IRV2 can be so misconstrued as to think I am Anti-diesel, especially when I've owned two DP's.

Let me put it this way so hopefully it can be clear:

Driving EXPERIENCE

Tag Axle = 10
Better single Axle DP = 8
Better Gasser = 6

If the ONLY thing you are judging a motorhome on is driving experience than a TAX AXLE (force field and all) wins hands down.

So please stop misconstruing what I say and let's stop
StevenNSteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 10:38 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowtiderider View Post
Nothing drives like a DP. I have had both & will never go back to gas for a motorhome unless it was a smaller class C. Gassers are getting better in many aspects but diesel's live well & drive better.
+1!
In my short experience in the Motorhome scene, 3 years, comparing diesel pushers with air ride suspension, quiet and almost unnoticeable generators and the pass through storage, I will never go back to a gasser.

Here is the ender of all Enders to this discussion IMO.
Drive a gasser loaded with a 5-7k # trailer from Texas to Kansas City Missouri
Now drive a diesel pusher, you will never go back to a gasser. Even my weak 300 hp cummins isb can hold 57-60 mph on steep hills without sounding like a banshee. Just like Bbqr's that want advise from a Texas ibca state champion brisket cooker, here is what I do and how I roll. If your not winning go judge some competitions and find out what's winning in your area. Same with motorhomes, go drive some and see what you like and how you wanna roll. Just FYI from the early stages of my diesel pusher ownership , I think the cost of upkeep is 3x higher per year. But you get longer life by far. It's really dependent on how attached you get to something. My tundra has 236k miles and I wouldn't think about trading it in. To each is own, good luck on whatever you ourchase , it's always a learning experience.
53block is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 12:17 AM   #61

Put a small turbo with 6psi of boost on a v10 and it will more than handle a diesel up the mountain
Rvnerd1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 05:58 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowtiderider View Post
Nothing drives like a DP. I have had both & will never go back to gas for a motorhome unless it was a smaller class C. Gassers are getting better in many aspects but diesel's live well & drive better.
I've had both Mazda Miatas and Corvettes and I will never go back to the Miatas but I sure had a lot of fun in the Miatas and I was lucky enough to be able to afford Corvettes.

To the OP: Go with your instinct and get what feels right for you. Folks have logged millions of miles on their gassers with a smile from ear to ear per mile. Same goes for DPs. If your current situation allows you to get a nice DP, then go for it and have fun.
al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 06:04 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koop View Post
StevenNSteph, you and Kirk (whom I believe is the originator of the post on Escapees that you point to) may try to convince newbies that gassers are the way to go. I can only go by my personal experience. I drove several gassers before buying the best I'd experienced. It's not in the same ballpark as a diesel pusher with air suspension. Period.

Check out my blog where I chronicle my experience if you care to (www.flyingthekoop.com). I loved my Gulfstream with a Workhorse W22, but it's not going to compete with the driveability of a quality diesel pusher.

Granted, the DP costs more initially and maintenance costs are high, but I wouldn't go back. It was an expensive decision to trade in so soon after hitting the road, but my advice is to try to buy right the first time.
I didn't read it as if he was trying to convince newbies that gasser is the way to go. To me, it sounded like he was giving his opinion based on his experience.

The same could be said with folk saying that DP is the way to go. Of course it's the way to go if you can afford it. I understand that once you get a DP you have graduated to the ultimate, but don't forget that this is about camping and it's not about what takes you there.
Old 02-14-2014, 06:05 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVAC Bill View Post
Funny to read these"stories". Let's face it, we all drive cracker boxes on wheels. I love driving my coach, but I don't care if you have a small van conversion or a tag axle DP, you will be affected by gusts of wind. I travel with other families with gassers, and they want one like mine. I went from a 5er to a MH so I take their word for it. All I know is they fall back on climbs and I get to smell their brakes on grades.

2013 Palazzo 33.3
Old 02-14-2014, 06:30 AM   #65

What a great comment. Most of us love whatever we have, and its hard to resist trying to convince others that our way should be their way. Case in point: I like smaller class A's because I truly believe they are easier to maneuver on back roads and tight situations. Trying to go where I drive with a 45 ft. tag axle, DP or a giant tall 5th wheel rig would be a chore if not downright impossible. But, that's just my opinion and, in spite of this, I have to realize (gasp!) others may have different opinions.

The entertainment in reading all of the Gas vs DP (and MH vs. 5th wheel) posts is reading the different ways some attempt to convince others that their choice is the only choice. Keep trying, folks, it makes good reading...

Quote:
Originally Posted by al2ride View Post
....To the OP: Go with your instinct and get what feels right for you. Folks have logged millions of miles on their gassers with a smile from ear to ear per mile. Same goes for DPs. If your current situation allows you to get a nice DP, then go for it and have fun.
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 06:34 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Schweikle View Post
What a great comment. Most of us love whatever we have, and its hard to resist trying to convince others that our way should be their way. Case in point: I like smaller class A's because I truly believe they are easier to maneuver on back roads and tight situations. Trying to go where I drive with a 45 ft. tag axle, DP or a giant tall 5th wheel rig would be a chore if not downright impossible. But, that's just my opinion and, in spite of this, I have to realize (gasp!) others may have different opinions.

The entertainment in reading all of the Gas vs DP (and MH vs. 5th wheel) posts is reading the different ways some attempt to convince others that their choice is the only choice. Keep trying, folks, it makes good reading...
Would you like some
Old 02-14-2014, 06:36 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvnerd1971 View Post
Put a small turbo with 6psi of boost on a v10 and it will more than handle a diesel up the mountain
To my knowledge nobody makes a v-10 turbo kit for RVs. I was going to do it to my old bounder but couldnt find any
53block is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 06:53 AM   #68

Carolina Campers
DP vs Gas.... Fly, only stay in quality hotels or resorts, take cruises.... Forget about an RV, your wasting your money on a RV, no mater what you get... It is like driving a car, what ever you buy, someone else will buy a better one... No matter how many cars you pass, someone will eventually go faster and pass you...
tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 07:18 AM   #69

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmoney7269 View Post
To my knowledge nobody makes a v-10 turbo kit for RVs. I was going to do it to my old bounder but couldnt find any
V-10 Turbo kit
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 08:21 AM   #70

A k04 with a little custom pluming will work my buddy has a older 2 valve ford truck with that set up its a beast all stock with 6lbs of boost
Rvnerd1971 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, diesel, gas