RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-19-2018, 09:31 PM   #1

A lot of work to do

Bought a 1999 Safari Panther 425 back in October 2016, previous owner had it dry stored for almost 10 years.because of the wife going through, and beating breast cancer, we have not been able to take it out at all. I lived in for a year while her mother was here helping out. But time to get it ready. I went though and made a list, man i got a lot of work to do. Amazing how much can go wrong on these things.

Replace floor under toilet
reseal roof
replace right side windshield/new gaskets
hardwood cabinet doors were never glued, coming apart
replace old TV's, gonna require some cabinet work.
rebuild bedroom door.
Rebuild bathroom door
would like to add a dinette for the kids
replace burner on fridge
all new batteries

Toughest part will be fixing battery box door.
bowhunter72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2018, 09:59 PM   #2

Glad to hear the wife beat that nasty cancer! The little things to fix now are so inconsequential! Now go have some fun times and celebrate!
Bahamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 06:33 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Glad to hear about the beating the cancer. My wife is a 14 year survivor. Puts life in a whole different perspective. Carpe Diem
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 07:22 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunter72 View Post
Bought a 1999 Safari Panther 425 back in October 2016, previous owner had it dry stored for almost 10 years.because of the wife going through, and beating breast cancer, we have not been able to take it out at all. I lived in for a year while her mother was here helping out. But time to get it ready. I went though and made a list, man i got a lot of work to do. Amazing how much can go wrong on these things.

Replace floor under toilet
reseal roof
replace right side windshield/new gaskets
hardwood cabinet doors were never glued, coming apart
replace old TV's, gonna require some cabinet work.
rebuild bedroom door.
Rebuild bathroom door
would like to add a dinette for the kids
replace burner on fridge
all new batteries

Toughest part will be fixing battery box door.
Good luck with the repairs. I would like to offer some unsolicited worthless advice if I may. Dont be afraid to go the extra mile when removing/replacing things.

I am currently remodeling our, new to us, '99 Newmar and am finding out that when you think you can save some time/money by just ignoring that step because it looks fine and wont make much difference you should not.

resealing roof should be priority one. Try not to make the RV too kid friendly as they are more likely to want to stay longer A wise man once told me that no matter how big they are they are only built for two people.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 07:31 AM   #5

.."Amazing how much can go wrong on these things.." (?)

yes, and if you left a HOUSE vacant and unused for 10 years, you'd have even mORe to do.... it matters not whether it's a House or and RV
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 09:16 AM   #6

I'd be just as concerned, if not more, the mechanical aspects. Besides the oil and filter change done with a warm engine, coolant flush, transmission and differential fluid change, brake fluid flush, replacement of radiator and heater hoses, most likely brake rubber hoses. While doing chassis lube examination of suspension, steering components.

Yes, grasshopper you are going to be very busy. When you finally get safely to the campground with your kids it will all have been worth it.

All the above is just my .02
TarasParents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 11:47 AM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

I bet you'll have that Panther purring in no time at all!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 08:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterT View Post
.."Amazing how much can go wrong on these things.." (?)

yes, and if you left a HOUSE vacant and unused for 10 years, you'd have even mORe to do.... it matters not whether it's a House or and RV
See, i have a two year old son, so if i can keep the RV Looking nice, at least one thing i own will look nice, the house, is a lost cause.
Old 01-20-2018, 08:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quincy View Post
Good luck with the repairs. I would like to offer some unsolicited worthless advice if I may. Dont be afraid to go the extra mile when removing/replacing things.

I am currently remodeling our, new to us, '99 Newmar and am finding out that when you think you can save some time/money by just ignoring that step because it looks fine and wont make much difference you should not.

resealing roof should be priority one. Try not to make the RV too kid friendly as they are more likely to want to stay longer A wise man once told me that no matter how big they are they are only built for two people.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Re sealing the roof will have to wait a bit, i live on the Oregon coast, even if i have a few sunny days, it is to cold to try and lay down caulking. I figure with the cold wet weather, i can wrap up all the inside stuff while i wait for warmer dryer weather.
Old 01-20-2018, 08:16 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarasParents View Post
I'd be just as concerned, if not more, the mechanical aspects. Besides the oil and filter change done with a warm engine, coolant flush, transmission and differential fluid change, brake fluid flush, replacement of radiator and heater hoses, most likely brake rubber hoses. While doing chassis lube examination of suspension, steering components.

Yes, grasshopper you are going to be very busy. When you finally get safely to the campground with your kids it will all have been worth it.

All the above is just my .02
When i decided it was time to stop being an OTR driver, i went to work as a school bus mechanic, having that experience has saved me a lot of money when it comes to maintenance. I recently ordered a 20 ton bottle jack soi can pull the tires and re do the seals and bearings before the big trip. It has sat for 3 months sense i last started it, charged the batteries, that cat fired right up.
Old 01-20-2018, 08:19 PM   #11

I hate the furnace

Ni matter what, i can not find out how to get the Furnace to operate on this thing. I have seen 3 different ways to turn the two handles in the engine compartment, yet i still get no heat. I have all the original owners manuals, but it does not tell me about the handles. Also does not tell me what kind of fluid to use.