RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-19-2017, 11:36 AM   #15

A BMW 760 and Ritz Carlton......... they'll even park the BMW for you when you show up, you don't sweat to death setting up, get fresh towels and linens every day, and you don't even have to dump your tanks. Cold beverages at your beck and call. If you have a problem / complaint just call the front desk and they'll kya until you are happy and smile.

Cheaper and easier than a Prevost / Newell (which I would expect to be a royal pita to maintain).
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2017, 11:48 AM   #16

Forest River Owners Club
BMW 760s are not all that maintenance-free.
Old 04-19-2017, 11:48 AM   #17

All y'all preaching "buy an older high end coach" should see how much money my father in law has had to sink into his 2001 Newell.

Blondiega1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 11:52 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
I think older coaches were built better. Our 2000 Monaco still has the original patio and window awnings on it and they were made by Carefree of Colorado. They must have been better quality to survive the last 17 years and show no signs of imminent failure. It's not low maintenance though, there is always something to lube, adjust, fix or replace. It's just the nature of the beast.

I try to do what you do when I repair or replace something and use better materials--stainless steel screws instead of the painted steel for instance. I had to replace one of the ends of the plastic moldings on the side of the coach and I fabricated it out of aluminum instead of steel like the original.
Just last weekend, the ($6) straps on the awnings of our 1998 Monaco started failing.

Combine a small house with multiple electrical and plumbing systems, graft it onto a truck. Leave it out in the weather, and drive it down bumpy roads. There will be nothing low maintenance about it.
Old 04-19-2017, 12:04 PM   #19

Thor Owners Club
Low Maintenance & easy care includes in my book....

I like to view a lot of You Tube video's people have made on how they fix, repair, modify, upgrade various RV projects.

A few I have watched include the service of Aqua Hot systems.

Another on repair and service on Sani-Con systems.

After listening to some really frustrated guys or seeing the trouble shooting involved, I am not sure I am sold on our next coach having those items.
We seem to do just fine without them and so I figure why add to the mix of maintenance.

I did read where a guy used some sort of aircraft protectant on roof top plastics and was very happy with the longevity. I am still prone to finding a product that would bullet proof them from hail, branches or other falling objects.

I am also looking at getting a telescoping 10' ladder to carry along when we FT for cleaning and checking up high. Just hope they lock securely into place. Failure from one of those would not be good!!
Kro1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 12:07 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
If money weren't a problem, I'd do something like this 40' Foretravel with a tag, and then a stem-to-stern remodel to bring everything up to modern levels.

http://motorhomesoftexas.com/coachrv...320--40--C1907

Of course this Foretravel without any remodel is still an outstanding coach and a relative bargain. They have a couple Newells that look interesting too.
marknpeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 12:42 PM   #21
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kro1957 View Post
I like to view a lot of You Tube video's people have made on how they fix, repair, modify, upgrade various RV projects.

A few I have watched include the service of Aqua Hot systems.

Another on repair and service on Sani-Con systems.

After listening to some really frustrated guys or seeing the trouble shooting involved, I am not sure I am sold on our next coach having those items.
We seem to do just fine without them and so I figure why add to the mix of maintenance.

I did read where a guy used some sort of aircraft protectant on roof top plastics and was very happy with the longevity. I am still prone to finding a product that would bullet proof them from hail, branches or other falling objects.

I am also looking at getting a telescoping 10' ladder to carry along when we FT for cleaning and checking up high. Just hope they lock securely into place. Failure from one of those would not be good!!
We looked for a motor home without Aquahot, multiplex lighting, or 2 baths and only one slide because we were trying to keep it simple and minimize problems.
Old 04-19-2017, 12:50 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondiega1 View Post
All y'all preaching "buy an older high end coach" should see how much money my father in law has had to sink into his 2001 Newell.

True, I've heard of this happening as well. Before you buy an older coach, it must be throughly inspected. Fluids replaced in time and analysis ran on a regular basis. We're not saying all older coaches are good . There is a lot out there that have been neglected.

I prefer an older mid level quality built coach. Even the older higher level coaches have way too much extra pleasure items, that to me just don't seem necessary. In a lot of ways rv's have gotten way to complicated. Keep it simple!
bneukam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 01:44 PM   #23

Just think of your MH as a very low maintenance wooden sailboat that can't sink.
DWJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 01:58 PM   #24

Reminds me when I was selling my wood boat and people loved it but wanted "low maintenance" fiberglass... boat or motorhome - neither equal low maintenance. There will always be something.
Old 04-19-2017, 02:20 PM   #25

[QUOTE=Wbonsell;3557366]A lower maintenance rig would have to be a non slide, non levelers gasser but of course they don't make those anymore, at least I don't think so.

Oh, but they do!
Although it's a Class C....our Winnebago is a 2017....and we bought it specifically wanting to experience fewer maintenance/repair issues.
No slideout, no levelers, no electric step, no fancy electronics, no this, no that.
Yet it has everything we need/want, and has proven to be very comfortable and fun to travel in. (that's what it's all about)
It has been been virtually trouble free, showing just over 6,000 miles on the odometer now.
Not one trip back to the dealer since the day we took delivery.
I don't hear many RV owners say that these days.
Old 04-19-2017, 03:28 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
My dad use to always say the more gadgets on a motorhome or boat, the more things to go wrong. If I follow those rules, my next motorhome will be a tent. (and it will probably leak)
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maintenance, motorhome