Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2022, 08:50 AM   #1

A New Use For Traffic Cones

I saw a new use for orange cones when we stopped overnight at a rest area. There was another Class A stopped and had placed orange cones at the corners of his RV.
My guess is that they were thinking of a trucker that had been on the road for far to many hours pulling up next to him and hitting a corner or slide.

Your thoughts on this use?
Derr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2022, 08:53 AM   #2

Could have been a retired utility worker or service worker. They are trained to set out cones every time they park, this forces them to do a walk around before driving off which can prevent accidents and damage, as well as stuff left behind.
bigb56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 09:12 AM   #3

I carry a set of 3 "DOT" safety triangles in my truck.

While I have not used them in that fashion, I have used them to mark my trailer for safety before. I have been parked in a few areas where a driver not paying attention could have easily hit my slide so I put out the triangles.
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 09:59 AM   #4

Probably put them out so the owner would not walk into their slides, awning arms, etc.
Domo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 10:49 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domo View Post
Probably put them out so the owner would not walk into their slides, awning arms, etc.
If you're deploying slides, awnings, etc. in a rest area you're doing it wrong...
Old 06-05-2022, 10:55 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I put my cones like that when I'm parked beside my house the night before we start the trip.

Catches the driver's eyes who may be texting as they drive.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 11:02 AM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
I have the back and slides on my MH marked with conspicuity tape. I never park on the truck side of rest areas though.

I did pull into a separate RV area at a Florida rest area late at night a couple weeks ago and it was blocked by trucks. The spots were designed like the truck side but only ~40 feet long so the trucks that had pulled in earlier had blocked anyone from getting through and backed up a bit. I ended up pulling onto the grass next to the first spot and just leaving my parking lights on the rest of the night. Trucks continued to pull in and then eventually back all the way to the truck side and leave through there.
Old 06-05-2022, 11:05 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_Hepburn View Post
If you're deploying slides, awnings, etc. in a rest area you're doing it wrong...
That is a matter of opinion and can not be a blanket statement.

Many trailers are unusable without the sides out. As long as you are in your space, and not obstructing others there is not a "wrong" way. While I have never deployed my awnings in a rest stop or similar, I use my slides frequently, or there is no point in stoping. To add to the horror, I even use my landing gear to level.

What I have NEVER done is obstructed others. If you are not obstructing others, how can it be "wrong"? What harm or distress is it causing?

If you are obstructing others, even with nothing deployed, you are likely doing it "wrong".
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 11:07 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derr View Post
I saw a new use for orange cones when we stopped overnight at a rest area. There was another Class A stopped and had placed orange cones at the corners of his RV.
My guess is that they were thinking of a trucker that had been on the road for far to many hours pulling up next to him and hitting a corner or slide.

Your thoughts on this use?
Another unusual use... I watched a gentleman use a cone as a funnel for gasoline... his wife held the cone with the narrow tip in the filler neck while he manhandled a jerry can of gas...

Mike
Old 06-05-2022, 11:39 AM   #10
Community Moderator

When parking in a Walmart, etc….you should put a cone in the parking spot immediately in front of your RV to prevent a car from parking there blocking you in.

It never fails that with hundreds of open spaces, some car will invariably think that right next to you is the spot they like - LOL
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 11:52 AM   #11

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
When parking in a Walmart, etc….you should put a cone in the parking spot immediately in front of your RV to prevent a car from parking there blocking you in.

It never fails that with hundreds of open spaces, some car will invariably think that right next to you is the spot they like - LOL
I do that often while flat towing .
Old 06-05-2022, 11:53 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherMike View Post
Another unusual use... I watched a gentleman use a cone as a funnel for gasoline... his wife held the cone with the narrow tip in the filler neck while he manhandled a jerry can of gas...

Mike

Been there done that except is was water in a radiator.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 11:57 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
Good ole 'Herd Mentality'.

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 12:10 PM   #14

If you are putting your slides out, and awing out at a rest stop, you are doing it wrong! Most RVs require it to be leveled before you extend the slides. This would be considered "Camping" in most areas, and is not allowed in rest areas. If you think you can get away with this, the States law enforcement regality check the rest areas for such things, and they do not accept excuses.