Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-29-2018, 10:21 AM   #1

A Question & Opinion on Sleep Number Mattress Upgrade

Good day Fellow RV Owners,
I like to keep this discussion primarily to people who "upgraded" their mattress to a Sleep Number.

I have looked at Camping World's offering for a Sleep Number mattress. They do offer all the sizes for a RV from short to standard lengths. The "model" of these is the Sleep Number "R5". I have done some exhaustive research on the R5, even called Sleep Number (which was no help) to compare this model to their home versions - i.e. C4, P5, P6.
Yesterday, I was at a Sleep Number store locally to test some mattress out. One of the questions that I pose was where is the hose connections on the standard models (i.e. C4, P5, etc.). The sales person showed me that these are connected to the side. As most of you know, this can create a problem - especially when the slide mechanism is located in the middle of the bed. Thus I believe the R-version is designed to have the hose connections at the head where there is room. Also, having the hoses at the head facilitates moving of the mattress away from the headboard to accommodate putting on the bottom sheet.
So after my discussion on this issue I have a couple of questions.

Q1. If you did purchase the R5 model from Camping World, which has the best price even over the Sleep Number stores - how satisfied were you - grading from 1 (low) to 10 (high)

Q2. By any chance, did any of you had the standard version installed by a factory trained person (the only way the stores will sell them). What were the issues and how to you deal with moving of the mattress in order to put on the bottom sheet.

Best Regards
Dutch Master
2008 Kountry Star, Spartan Chassis, ISL 400HP, 2014 Chevy Captiva
Dutch Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2018, 10:40 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
We purchased our R5 mattress from the Sleep Number Store. We made the purchase at the same time we upgraded our SN in our house. I do not remember the details but it ended up being cheaper from SN. We paid around $1300 for a short queen.
Been 2 years and have been pleased with the results. This is the third mattress we have had in the RV since purchasing in 2014. Original was old and uncomfortable, tried a foam that came highly recommended which was the worst mattress we have ever slept on. Finally spent the money on the R5 and no regrets. In our house we are on our second SN mattress first one lasted 10 years we upgraded to a FlexFit 2 years ago.
I would give it a 7-8, only because it is a lower end mattress than the upper end SN models. It is a 10 over the memory foam or old mattress we had.
Old 08-29-2018, 12:13 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I just got the R5 that CW has on sale. The SN store won't match the price. The hoses go out the head of the mattress so it's fine for the RV.

I do recommend to call sleep number after you get the mattress and tell them you sleep on your side and are bottoming out.
They will send you an extra top piece of foam for free. Get one for each side.
After the extra foam is added, it's comparable to the P5 sold in stores.

My I10 at home is a 10 and the R5 in the RV is about an 8
1CoolZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 04:24 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Our last two motor homes came with Sleep Number beds that the previous owners had installed. The first one we kept for about 6 months. This was a queen size Sleep Number mattress with two large air bladders inside a zippered cover and individual controls for each side. We could not get comfortable with it. It was either too hard or too soft. It was also problematic when traveling across mountain passes at higher altitudes. I had to pull over and release the air from the mattress.

We then changed to a Tuft and Needle adaptive foam mattress from Amazon. The Tuft and Needle is far superior. When we bought the next motor home we slept on the Sleep Number matress for only the few nights it took us to get home. My wife ordered a Tuft and Needle on her phone on the way home and it was waiting for us when we arrived.

Both our Sleep Number matresses came from Camping World. The hoses connected to the head of the mattress. Installing sheets and blankets was not an issue. The air pump was hidden in the area under the bed where the slide mechanism is. I would rate them a 2, maybe slightly better than a water bed.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 01:03 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We have the R5 King (R: meaning radial end corner at foot of mattress); and found it to be basically OK, then added a SN Coolfit Gel topper (2") which made all the difference as it is now an extremely comfortable mattress.

Did learn a valuable lesson this past Summer by not having deflated the mattress (i.e., actually just lowering the pressure to around 15) when traveling to and across higher elevations (i.e. the Rockies); which resulted in air chamber seam failures.

Good news was we called and SN warrantied them to include their sending us new ones immediately (to an RV park where we were located at the time).
NKK Member 21619 / FMCA Member 465836
rewillia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 09:19 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have a 2014 coach where the SN mattress was ordered for the build. We are not the original owner. I believe the model is the Premire? RV King with the radius corners at the foot. Happy with the mattress but finding sheets that fit in almost impossible. SN does not have them for sure.
Old 08-30-2018, 10:56 AM   #7

Our coach came with a Innomax air bed. All I know about SN is what I have read online.

People have said that the regular SN beds do not have a means of dumping excess air when climbing or increasing elevation resulting in bladder failure. SN beds designed for RV's have the ability to bleed excess pressure. I have no firsthand knowledge about this.

We always deflate our bed when we know that we will be gaining elevation or when we are in unknown territory. That said we talked to a Innomax rep at a rally and he said that we do not have to worry about bladder failure because our bed will vent excess pressure but we still deflate.

Safe travels. JD
Yellowboat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mattress, upgrade