RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-01-2017, 10:29 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
A Scarry Battery incident

On our way back from a long weekend we stopped at our usual rest stop to dump and the water pump wouldn't work. So we rinsed as best we could and headed home.

I parked and as I usually do, plugged in and went about our post flight duties. About an hour after we parked I went out to get something and inside it smelled like we didn't clean out well so we added water to the tank and threw in another deodorizer.

An our later I went out to see if it was better and realized that it wasn't sewer smell but a battery cooking! I hit the battery disconnect and unplugged. I opened the battery compartment and had to let it slam shut. I decided that the coach was safe and let things settle.

The next day I opened the batter compartment and found the source of the smell!

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170531_171723.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	131.9 KB
ID:	163838Click image for larger version

Name:	20170531_171715.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	155.6 KB
ID:	163839
Poppy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2017, 11:02 PM   #2

From the looks you got lucky. 2 things I would say as a follow up... rinse and neutralize the acid residue in the battery compartment to keep the area from rotting and rusting. Cooked batteries with do that very quickly. Next would be to check the output voltage from your converter and make sure it was not damaged or the cause. You should be able to find the appropriate steps voltage for the battery charge for your converter rather easily.
imob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 11:15 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I've since checked and it's working properly. All I can figure is that the battery shorted internally, over heated and self destructed. Saw it happen on a 48v heavy battery on a Oskosh snowplow. Was even more spectacular. Caps flying like bullets.
Old 06-01-2017, 11:21 PM   #4

Similar thing happened to me a few years after I bought my motorhome. One cell in one of the 12V batteries shorted, but the good battery masked the problem so the converter kept charging. We woke up to a sound like a backfiring car and I figured out what it was when I heard the acid dripping down from the underside of the motorhome. Since then, I run 2 large 6V batteries in series rather than 12V in parallel.
cwstnsko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 11:30 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
My plan was to change them out at the end of the season. That schedule just moved up! Th only problem is that the tray has 11" of clearance the 6v ones I've found are 11+.
Old 06-01-2017, 11:36 PM   #6

You were lucky they didn't catch on fire and burn. That happened to us 4 years ago. Glad your safe and there was np serious damage to your coach.

Mike H
Bubba1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 11:38 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Just wondering, on my RV my alternator charges the coach batteries. Did you check the alternator?
Old 06-01-2017, 11:47 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I haven't, but it's a new alternator and the chassis batteries are just fine. Ill check that tomorrow, tho. My theory is that these maintenance-free batteries needed maintenance. Pried off the caps on one of the other batteries and it had one bad cell...dry as a bone. The 3rd one was still ok.
Old 06-01-2017, 11:56 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
How do you know they were maintenance free batteries? Was that stated on the battery?

I know several people who thought they had maintenance free batteries and when I looked at their batteries they were not maintenance free and all needed water.
Failure to plan on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 12:05 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Yes. They are 12v atarting/deep cycle maintenance free. IMHO dual capacity (starting and deep cycle) are not the best way to go in a strictly deep cycle configuration. Unless they are high reabsortion batteries, they need watering, especially in high charge/discharge cycles.
Old 06-02-2017, 12:27 AM   #11

Unfortunately that is wrong. "maintenance free" batteries are seal cell ones. The one on the engine. There are not standard maintenance free deep cycle batteries unless they are lithium. In short, if they have removable caps you must check them
imob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 07:05 AM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by imob View Post
Unfortunately that is wrong. "maintenance free" batteries are seal cell ones. The one on the engine. There are not standard maintenance free deep cycle batteries unless they are lithium. In short, if they have removable caps you must check them
What has happened here is a spark(posible loose connection) has ingnited the gas from a battery that was being charged.
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 09:37 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Thanks for making it even clearer. That was the point I was trying to make. Just because it says so, doesn't mean it is so.

Tags
battery