Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2019, 08:10 PM   #57

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgelesley View Post
When we had JC Refrigeration put an Amish cooling unit on our Norcold 1211 a few years ago we also had him install extra cooling fans at the top of the coil and an automatic halon fire extinguisher in the outside compartment near the bottom of the coil and burner.

Since the refrig is between the only exit door and our bedroom we also have a large fire extinguisher in the bedroom. We consider the tiny emergency exit window in the BR to be useless if actually needed.
Wow that's scary I have the same type of setup!
tmelsonjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2019, 08:49 PM   #58

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRBattani View Post
The day we were preparing to leave for Florida, I fired up the Norcold 1200, and 15 minutes later no display, no power to the unit.

After much troubleshooting I discovered that the Norcold recall module had failed. After many calls to rv service centers, the concensus was they needed my motorhome for more than a week to "troubleshoot" the failure, and was told Norcold warranty would not pay for any troubleshooting. They would only pay for the failed recall module if in fact that was the only failure. The troubleshooting estimate was between $800, and $2400.00.

Plan B was to remove the pile of crap, and install a residential unit. Too much work for me in January.

Plan C was decided upon, as bypassing the recall module would allow the refrigerator to operate. Not trusting it without the module in place, I purchased the ARP fridge defender with one fan.

Let me just say that all of out outings last year, the "NOCold" would never cool below 48 in the fridge, and about 30 in the freezer. We were looking at our options then.

After installing the Fridge defender, our most recent trip to Texas last month, with temps in the 80's The Norcold would cool the freezer to 8, and the fridge to 34 on 4 or 5 setting.

I am extremely happy with the performance of the Norcold now, and the added safety of ARP module gives peace of mind.

The only thing I could figure is that the recall module had been failing for some time, not allowing proper voltage to the main power board.

I will run this configuration for now, and when the absorption unit does fail, I will most likely install the JC refrigeration dc unit. Until then, I am just happy it works good for now.

For anyone with a functioning Norcold, I highly recommend the ARP fridge defender. I am not affilliated with ARP in any way, just highly satisfied with their product.
Thanks, where did you get your arp fridge defender from?
tmelsonjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 09:17 PM   #59

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmelsonjr View Post
Thanks, where did you get your arp fridge defender from?
https://www.arprv.com/
2023 F-150 Towed
rag_ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 09:44 PM   #60

Forest River Owners Club
I posted pics from mine when I replaced the Norcold in 2013 ... here is the primary picture. Cause was the chimney cap directing exhaust heat into the wall/ ceiling ... poor installation design.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 10:54 PM   #61

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsfla View Post
I would like to hear your impression of the JC unit after you have it installed. Been looking at stopping in at JC this summer on the way to Mich from Maine. My NOrcold is not that old but RV'ing in FLA a lot it's hard top get the frig/freezer cold enough. Wife hates soupy ice cream (just means more for me but trying to lose weight LOL)

Please update us
Thanks
I modified my Norcold 4-door fridge/freezer this winter to the JC Refridgeration 115 Volt version. I did this because of the inadequate cooling capability AND the number of fires that have originated with this unit. I am very glad I did, now the ice cream is rock hard. My rig has the 2000 watt inverter/charger that takes care of fridge power while traveling.
Old 05-09-2019, 11:02 PM   #62

American Coach Owners Club
After reading multiple posts related to The Norcold 1200, I decided to remove a Norcold 1200 from my 2004 American Eagle 🦅. During removal of the Norcold, I found burnt wires and additional signs of extensive heat along the back and side walls. I have a couple photographs, but I’m not sure how to attach them from my iPad... Anyway, I replaced it with a Samsung R18 even though the Norcold was still in working condition. It was a challenging process for me (and a very large friend) to get the Samsung into my coach, but with a little grunting and maneuvering we managed to get it in without any damage. My wife and I are extremely pleased with Samsung R18.
Old 05-09-2019, 11:04 PM   #63

Vintage RV Owners Club
seems scarily common

When I gutted Flatnose Frank, I was mystified by the discoloring on the walls behind the kitchen and thought it was mold or some other nastiness.

When I removed the box to the genset, I found that at some point in the distant pass, the PO or some of the transient dwellers must have experienced a mystery smoke source. There had been a smoldering subfloor under a layer of flooring.

I suspect either a spark from the genset side or perhaps a runaway ember from a cig or other burning nonsense.

I'm glad it wasn't the end of this relic, or I'd never have had the chance to bring 'im back.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5430.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	411.0 KB
ID:	245426   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5566.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	376.5 KB
ID:	245427  

BJohnsonsv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 11:41 PM   #64

Vintage RV Owners Club
I have an old 87 Monaco and recently my norvold caught fire. Funny thing is no propane hooked up just shore power. When my wife heard it she came and got me I disconnected EVERYTHING power, batteries and even propane lines. Though tank was empty. Got extinguisher opened access panel and the fire was strange green yellow color. Hit it with extinguisher and put it out then connected batteries and it started on fire again. I ripped most of the fridge ignition system out. Needless to say it didn't light up again. Still trying to find a standard fridge to fit in tight space. 87's aren't very big(no pop outs etc.). But it's our only home after the campfire in Paradise.
Gussthebuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 01:41 AM   #65

Last year we tried everything to get our Norcold 1200 to cool. We installed two fans in the roof vent, 2 fans on the fins, and a big fan in the rear access panel blowing air in. Even with all that and on setting 9, we were about 42 degrees inside air temp, with no food in there, at about 95 degrees outside. We even installed an air scoop and attached it to the side of the rig to get air in the compartment when going down the road. Even the air scoop did not help. The temperature slowly climbed as we drove. So after adding 5 fans I saw no difference in temperatures. AC or propane, didn't make a difference. I was using a wireless thermometer. when we got home, I immediately bought the 4 fan unit that goes on the fins because they were always iced over if there wasn't a direct fan on them.
The freezer was at 13 degrees.

both heating elements check out, I have the amish cooling unit, and the recall box installed. I was told that I had the wrong heating elements though. Apparently there are two sizes:
225 watt 90 degree bend is 10.87mm dia
225 watt 45 degree bend is 9.52mm
I have the smaller diameter and I was told to put a hose clamp on it so they would make contact with the tube. Someone else told me that it wasn't a problem. It makes you nuts.

This year, I pretty much have had it. I've been posting all over irv2 about refrigerators and adding more batteries. I wanted a side by side, not a french door, and I can't find one short enough without some considerable modification to the drawer that is under the frig that I want to keep. My DH wants nothing to do with it and there is no one in this town that I would want for the job. Im just stuck between a fire waiting to happen and food poisoning.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180729_160716.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	241.2 KB
ID:	245441
Old 05-10-2019, 07:35 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Swede View Post
While you are waiting for pgrounder to report, let me chime in to say that we arrived at JC at 8 am and they had the new cooling unit installed and running by 4 pm. We decided to get the helium filled unit and the extra two fans. JC did a fantastic job and the Nocold became an Alwayscold.
12 volt compressor? Approximately cost?
John Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 07:46 AM   #67

I installed a JC unit in my norcold. Opted for the residential 110 compressor style. My son and I installed in about 5 hours. So far so good.
They offered to install for about $300, but I was not near Indiana. JC was wonderful to deal with.
Old 05-10-2019, 07:53 AM   #68

Monaco Owners Club
https://www.arprv.com/products.php
RRBattani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 08:39 AM   #69

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpounder View Post
I am updating the Norcold 4 door 1200 refrigerator, replacing it with the JC refrigeration 12 vdc compressor. No more LP mode. I decided to do this to eliminate the possibility of fire as reported by many others and the subject of a class action lawsuit.

After removing it from the cabinet I discovered this burnt spot on the inside of the cabinet. It is located up high on the burner side, no way to see from the utility access door.

The wood is fully chard. Just lucky I guess the whole thing do not go up in smoke.
I replaced mine last year with the JC 12v compressor and we are very happy with it. I also found the burn tube burning the insulation away.
Old 05-10-2019, 08:52 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
I posted pics from mine when I replaced the Norcold in 2013 ... here is the primary picture. Cause was the chimney cap directing exhaust heat into the wall/ ceiling ... poor installation design.
I see I am not the only person to discover burned, chard wood after removing the fridge. I wonder how many more are out there?
gpounder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover, discovery, fire, norcold