Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-03-2013, 04:41 PM   #1

A vs C and wind movement

DW and I have a 31SS JAYCO class C. Are looking for a similar size A. We experience considerable wind movement when 18 wheelers pass us. Do the A's experience the same turbulence?? Thanks!!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2013, 04:57 PM   #2

My guess is it has everything to do with mass. Our coach doesn't move much, but I think that is because of weight not length or shape. I would presume if an A or C were of comparable weight they would react similarly to big rigs (talking smaller class A's, I assume air ride/tag axle all help on bigger DP's).
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 05:02 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
The first Class A we had was a 2007 34' Hurricane built on a Ford V10 chassis. We did experience a shift when 18 wheelers passed us. I installed a Safe-T-Plus and that helped a LOT! The second coach we had was a 2006 Coachman 350 diesel pusher on a XC chassis and the coach was much more stable. In our current coach we do not have any movement when an 18 wheeler passes us!!!

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 05:36 PM   #4

Class A's with tag-axles are more stable than those without. Our 40' MH without tag, moves when overtaken by semis or other MH's. The movement is not unsettling, I've learned how to prepare to be overtaken by another large vehicle, how to react to the bow-wave push, and the draft-effect when almost passed. The movement is totally different, and more than what I experienced in the dually and 40' 5er we used to own.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 05:46 PM   #5

I am about 20K lbs. Very little wind issues. No steering stabilizer. I'm not going to try and figure out why. ;-)
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 05:56 PM   #6

It has a lot to do with rear end overhang. The more body mass there is BEHIND the rear axle, the less stable the driving experience. 36-foot coaches are especially susceptible to unstable driving conditions because most of them are built on a chassis with a short wheelbase and have a lot of overhang behind the rear axle.

That's why the 40-foot and longer coaches are so much more stable. They are built on a long wheelbase chassis and have a relatively short overhang behind the rear axle, especially if they have a tag axle.
Rich-n-Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 06:51 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
The class C Ford chassis are woefully short on suspension for the load they have to carry. It can be fixed. You will need to add:
-heavier anti roll bars with urethane bushings on the front and rear
-HD Bilstein shocks on all four corners
-and last possibly add air springs to the front and rear.

This will stop the bump or roll steer tendency of the Ford chassis and make if a pleasure to drive.

But start by weighing the RV with it fully loaded and adjust your tire pressures to match the loads per axle. Then get the alignment set properly at a good independent truck alignment shop...not a Ford shop.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 08:20 PM   #8

Rich mentioned on of the biggest factor on wind push and that is the wheel base compared to over all length. The greater the overhang the more you will feel that push. On gas coaches one thing that help mitigate wind push is to have track bars on both front and rear. Some people also report improvement from steering stabilizers.
Also mentioned is that DP will handle that issue better because of seer weight. My previous Allegro had a 22K chassis, my Phaeton has a 44K chassis. In the Allegro I could feel the push but I didn't think it was bad. In the Phaeton I don't feel it at all.
So, the answer to you question is... It depends!
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 08:53 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We rented a Class C to get us started on RV ownership. We bought a Class A. One of the big differences I noticed right away is the lack of movement when passed by an 18 wheeler in the Class A. This is all relative, of course, an 18 wheeler takes quite a swath through the air but you ask for a comparison and I have driven both and my Class A is much less effected.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 08:58 PM   #10

I have a W20D chassis with a GVW of 20,500. So it is a bit of a light weight.

The wheelbase is under 51% of OAL, a ratio that is supposed to make it vulnerable to wind and handle poorly. It also has over 12 ft of overhang from rear axel to rear bumper.

It handles wonderful in all aspects. Was I just lucky? Perhaps aerodynamics of the sloped sidewalls and nose? I have no clue.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 01:00 AM   #11

This is what some people with the Ford F53 chassis have done to reduce wind push.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f23/cheap...fix-72335.html

And for more info:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f23/cheap...ll-130709.html

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 09:15 AM   #12

I appreciate all of y'all's info!!
Old 11-07-2013, 09:28 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrydp View Post
I appreciate all of y'all's info!!
If ya run faster than the semi's you feel none of their wind turbulance.
t55watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 09:42 AM   #14

In a word Yes. I assume you are going to keep it a gasser class A and not move all the way up to a diesel pusher. There are some inexpensive things you can do to greatly reduce that effect on a Ford Chassis. First replace the rear sway bar bushings with polyurathane ones you can buy on ebay for $50. Then you must do the Cheap Handling Fix which is nothing more than relocating bolts on the sway bars. You can see actual pictures of this on the thread Dunner mentioned. That was the one most effective thing I did to reduce that side winds and cross winds problems inherent with the Ford Chassis.
D in Davie is offline   Reply With Quote