Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-25-2020, 07:03 PM   #1

A whole lot of rotted walls

Hi - new RV owner here. We recently picked up a 2003 four winds 30q for $9,000. Price was great but the unit has a ton of water damage. We are going to take out and reseal all windows as well as get a new roof. But we need to figure out how we address the rot and delamination.

We plan in renovating the entire RV so not worried about the damage that will be caused by demoing.

In areas that are accessible we are think about cutting out and replacing the luan/foam/luan with plywood.

In areas that are not accessible (behind shower and under sink/ fridge cabinets) we have a conundrum. Do we just leave it as is or do we rip that out as well and fix it right?

Also - we aren’t a big fan of the current shower and are contemplating ripping out the whole shower stall to access the rot and installing a new ceramic tile shower.

Any advice would be much appreciated. We got in real good at the $9k purchase price so I feel ok investing $5-6k into the RV to make everything beautiful.
AriGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2020, 07:10 PM   #2

The big concern is what will the resale value be on a modified camper? I would opt for as many factory OEM panels and construction as possible.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 07:13 PM   #3

Can you buy sheets if the luan/foam/luan material or do you have to make yourself?
Old 05-25-2020, 07:15 PM   #4

Hi Ari-

Welcome to iRV2.

You've taken on a significant project - you'll gain perspective into why the previous owner sold rather than repair (esp a DIY). Good luck to you and let us know how the project progresses.
Old 05-25-2020, 07:17 PM   #5

Quote:
In areas that are accessible we are think about cutting out and replacing the luan/foam/luan with plywood.

Weight the whole thing now, note the weights listed on the vehicle labels, and be careful not to exceed them. There are two reasons that RV manufacturers use the foam sandwich: weight, and insulation. By replacing the sandwich with plywood, you will increase weight, and decrease insulation.
SLOweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 07:31 PM   #6

Thinking I may make a sandwich

1/4 underlayment
1/2 inch foam
1/4 underlayment
1/2 inch foam
1/4 inch underlayment.

This will have the structural integrity while also light.
Old 05-25-2020, 07:50 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by AriGold View Post
Can you buy sheets if the luan/foam/luan material or do you have to make yourself?

You can buy sheets direct from the factory. I had a Jayco trailer that I backed into a tree and I ordered a rear panel from the factory.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 08:02 PM   #8

A whole lot of rotted walls

When making your sandwich avoid lauan board and use Azdel its waterproof!
fhmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 07:55 AM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I recently did repair a water damage to a slide wall on my Hurricane 31D. Had the stove top vent fan leak. Did the work from the inside leaving the exterior fiberglass undisturbed. Not a technically difficult job but you'll need to think it thru before starting. Used a lot of epoxy gluing and sealing everything. Pics of the project -

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ygn3H4Af1MHVW3YAA

The hard part you will have to face is how to hold the material, interior or exterior luan/fiberglass, in place against the aluminum framing while the glue dries. For my slide it was easy as the slide wasn't all that long and I was able to clamp 10'x2"x4" to the exterior slide. If the damage is extensive I would consider potentially taking the coach down to studs and reskinning those areas that need attention. Once you start digging you'll find the damage to be potentially twice the area you thought was going to need repair along with areas you thought was OK but will be wet. My repairs were made in January after I found the delamination bubble in August. Sealed the vent to prevent further water ingress and six months later the luan was still damp.

A 30Q is a pretty basic coach so in effect you have a blank sheet of canvas to paint a picture on. If you do gut out the interior watch the weight of any new cabinets, shower enclosure or even new flooring. Coach weight gain can quickly and quietly sneak up on you particularly once you start rework cabinetry.
Old 05-26-2020, 08:00 AM   #10

I think you are wildly optimistic about the cost to do these really extensive repairs.
Good luck! - Paul
Old 05-27-2020, 08:29 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbriar View Post
I recently did repair a water damage to a slide wall on my Hurricane 31D. Had the stove top vent fan leak. Did the work from the inside leaving the exterior fiberglass undisturbed. Not a technically difficult job but you'll need to think it thru before starting. Used a lot of epoxy gluing and sealing everything. Pics of the project -

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ygn3H4Af1MHVW3YAA

The hard part you will have to face is how to hold the material, interior or exterior luan/fiberglass, in place against the aluminum framing while the glue dries. For my slide it was easy as the slide wasn't all that long and I was able to clamp 10'x2"x4" to the exterior slide. If the damage is extensive I would consider potentially taking the coach down to studs and reskinning those areas that need attention. Once you start digging you'll find the damage to be potentially twice the area you thought was going to need repair along with areas you thought was OK but will be wet. My repairs were made in January after I found the delamination bubble in August. Sealed the vent to prevent further water ingress and six months later the luan was still damp.

A 30Q is a pretty basic coach so in effect you have a blank sheet of canvas to paint a picture on. If you do gut out the interior watch the weight of any new cabinets, shower enclosure or even new flooring. Coach weight gain can quickly and quietly sneak up on you particularly once you start rework cabinetry.
Any chance you would be open to a phone conversation? Shoot me a private message if that would be OK.
Old 05-28-2020, 02:09 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOweather View Post
Weight the whole thing now, note the weights listed on the vehicle labels, and be careful not to exceed them. There are two reasons that RV manufacturers use the foam sandwich: weight, and insulation. By replacing the sandwich with plywood, you will increase weight, and decrease insulation.
This is the best answer you will get! I had a customer who used plywood and then fiberglassed over it. He wound up with no carrying capacity. Redwood plywood might be light enough but would be expensive.
Old 05-28-2020, 02:32 PM   #13
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PandS View Post
I think you are wildly optimistic about the cost to do these really extensive repairs.
Good luck! - Paul
My calculator started running at New Roof ......

Hindsight is of course 20/20 but a really nice 2003 model camper can be had for 13k or less on a regular basis.
Spdracr39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 03:10 PM   #14

Around northeast Indiana and southern Michigan there are a number of rv surplus stores/warehouses that sell to the public. They will have stacks of every imaginable part that is in an rv including the wall panels. Many of the campgrounds in the area have lists and maps to their locations. It would be quite a haul for you but if you got an inventory together you could make a road trip.

Here is a link to one of the largest. They do sell smaller items on-line. Be ready for sticker shock

https://bontragers.com/
TCollins is offline   Reply With Quote