Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2011, 03:07 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
About to Pull the Trigger - Soon to be Class A Owner

Thank you for your replies to my initial questions on warrantees, and towing systems.

We are just days away from pulling the trigger and purchasing the 2011 Monaco Diplomat PD5 mentioned in my initial post. We have found two similar units with a MSRP of $334K. We have obtained purchase quotes of $217K (out of state) and 220K (locally). Of course the $220 K unit has a few more options than the $217K unit. Also, the $220K unit is a previously titled coach that was never taken off of the dealer’s lot. Given the timing of the purchase, end of the model year, the economy, and nature of the title of the latter unit: Would additional downward pressure on sales price be fruitful? The wife and I are of differing opinions on this one.

Hwyman
hwyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2011, 05:46 PM   #2

IMHO, the difference as a percentage of total cost is minimal. If you plan on keeping this coach for a long time, go with your heart. If you plan to trade in the next 5 years or so, go with the one that may possess the best resale value. Based on your post, I doubt there would be much difference.
rgreen45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 05:59 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Five Slides?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwyman View Post
Thank you for your replies to my initial questions on warrantees, and towing systems.

We are just days away from pulling the trigger and purchasing the 2011 Monaco Diplomat PD5 ...

Hwyman

FIVE slides?! That's pioneering, like One small step for man, one giant leap for mankind; good luck, Mr. Gorsky!!

Best of luck. We want to hear how your Infant Mortality Year goes, are standing behind you 100%.
RVNeophytes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 06:55 PM   #4

I would try to save every dime, so beat them up a little more. The one that is titled I guess is legally used so you should get a better price than a new one. Just wondering why someone would purchase and never leave with that coach?
Old 07-11-2011, 09:56 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
I would go with the local dealership, you will need service and driving distances really messes-up your life.

fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 10:58 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred and Bonnie View Post
I would go with the local dealership, you will need service and driving distances really messes-up your life.

fred
Agreed!
Bought ours 105 miles away and have hated that drive ever since although now they're out of business!

And, having been titled before it is a "used" unit.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 03:55 AM   #7

Is there any particular reason that you are looking at brand new rigs? You are going to take a real big hit with the depreciation as soon as you move it off of the lot. There are a lot of barely used coaches in the current market.
randco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 06:05 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by randco View Post
Is there any particular reason that you are looking at brand new rigs? You are going to take a real big hit with the depreciation as soon as you move it off of the lot. There are a lot of barely used coaches in the current market.
We initially entered the market in search of 10 yr old Prevost w/o slides. However, our search was expanded to: New and Used motor homes, after the wife discovered storage and space limits, in the Prevost. We intend to keep the coach, as full timers, until we are resigned to the long term lease trailer park (New Age ALF). Thus, the quest for information: I remain on the fence as to whether the newer Monaco with all the slides and latest bells and whistles will go the distance. Conversely, will a 10 yr old Prevost make it another 20- 30 yrs?
Old 07-12-2011, 10:02 PM   #9

In my humble opinion it is many times better to leave a few dollars on the table then to screw down the seller to the very last nickel you can get. Sellers are used to buyers coming in and beating them to death to get down to the absolute lowest price. So they really appreciate it when somebody comes in and leaves enough money on the table so they can actually make a living. If you allow them to actually make a living and they may still be in business when you want to have service from them. I always believe in giving business to neighbors as a preference as to giving business to someone further away. So I would give my business to the person who's the closest dealer.

Prevost conversions are some of the best motorhomes made in the world. But I would think long and hard about trying to full time in a coach with absolutely no slide outs at all. You don't need to have five or four slide outs but a couple certainly gives you a lot more room.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 04:33 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwyman View Post
We initially entered the market in search of 10 yr old Prevost w/o slides. However, our search was expanded to: New and Used motor homes, after the wife discovered storage and space limits, in the Prevost. We intend to keep the coach, as full timers, until we are resigned to the long term lease trailer park (New Age ALF). Thus, the quest for information: I remain on the fence as to whether the newer Monaco with all the slides and latest bells and whistles will go the distance. Conversely, will a 10 yr old Prevost make it another 20- 30 yrs?
Well if you are concerned about the 2011 Monaco going the distance or a 10 year old Prevost making it, why not settle for something in the 2005 or 2006 era. Have a good look at this 2004 Travel Supreme I gotta think it will go the distance.
randco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 10:48 AM   #11

Freightliner Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Seems like you're around ~35% off MSRP, which is pretty darn good I think for a new unit, but I'm not as experienced as many on here, so keep that in context.

Maybe something happened with the previously-titled coach (financing issue, or maybe something happened to the other people who bought it and then couldn't take delivery.). If you love it and it's in great shape, I wouldn't let that stop you. If it's "lightly used", I'd want to make sure it's not a lemon that someone else bought, and then dumped to get out from under it.

I'd see what else you could get "thrown in" with the deal (like, do you need anything for a tow set up? Or upgrades on any of the standard equipment like bigger TV sets, coupons/free yearly maintenance, or discounts on an extended warranty, etc.). I'd also mention that you have another coach for $3k less and see if they'll do anything else for you there. But, at those prices, I'm not sure $3k in the grand scheme of things is going to make a huge difference either way.

Follow your gut on this one! Best of luck to you!

go6car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 11:03 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
35% off MSRP? Sounds like a great deal to me. You've heard of "paralysis by analysis"? Don't be a victim.

Buy what you want, like and can see yourself living in for the next 20 years. No matter what you buy you're likely to have some problems pop up. At least the new ones would have a full warranty, typically a year on the "house" (that year started when that 'used' unit was first sold) and at least three years on the chassis.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 02:30 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe View Post
35% off MSRP? Sounds like a great deal to me. You've heard of "paralysis by analysis"? Don't be a victim.

Buy what you want, like and can see yourself living in for the next 20 years. No matter what you buy you're likely to have some problems pop up. At least the new ones would have a full warranty, typically a year on the "house" (that year started when that 'used' unit was first sold) and at least three years on the chassis.
Once again, everyone’s feedback has been spot on. We are scheduled to close on the previously titled Monaco, this coming Saturday. I believe that we have managed the best deal possible without causing bloodshed. The coach has just less than 3500 miles and was never taken off of the dealer’s lot, due to unexpected employment issues. We will have 9 of the 12 month warrantee and the full balance of the chassis and drive train warrantees. The only unexpected drawback thus far is that our planned toad: 2010, VW, TDI, Jetta (Manual Trans) requires a tow dolly… Go figure. I’m still checking this one out, but 4 out of 6 dealers that I’ve contacted have said that “VW does not recommend towing with all four tires down, despite the manual transmission.” Once we become official, I’m sure I’ll have “Newbie” questions. Thanks again for all of the valuable input.
Old 07-13-2011, 02:34 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
I look forward to seeing the photos.

Happy trails...
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote