Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-10-2018, 06:38 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
About to store for 6 weeks, Do I dump the fresh water tank?

Our first week long trip is coming to a end. We are about to put our coach into a covered storage facility near Phoenix, AZ. We won't be back until our next trip Dec 22.

Both black and grey tanks will be dumped prior to leaving the park this morning. The fresh water tank is about 2/3 full. Do you dump the fresh water tank? If so where do you do it?
Blog: bailey18.com
AllanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2018, 06:45 AM   #2

If there's even the slightest chance of freezing, I'd empty the tank. I'd probably do it even if there weren't, to keep mold, bacteria and other slimy things from growing in the stagnant water. You can use it to flush your black and grey tanks; just open the faucets. Or, there should be a tank drain valve near the tank that'll dump it on the ground. No environmental issues with that, since it's drinking water. Mine won't drain the tank completely unless the coach is on a downhill slope toward the drain.
HikesInRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 06:46 AM   #3

We have had our fresh water turn nasty in that period of time.
I would drain both the tank and hot water heater.
Old 11-10-2018, 07:05 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Dump it. City water has preservatives that will keep organic growth in check for maybe two weeks. If the tank has well water then there's nothing. Actually I would drain the entire system. Easy enough to refill when you head out in December.

I usually just dump my potable water on the ground. You could just drain into the gray tank via the sinks then dump the gray tank.
Old 11-10-2018, 09:51 AM   #5

Why not run some bleach and sanitize your entire system? Let it set awhile, dump the grey and black tanks and run 10 gallons of "bleached" water into both tanks and drive around to slosh the sides. Then dump all three tanks and drain the lines. You are then ready for the next time of use and no worries about freezing or critters growing anywhere.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 10:11 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
Why not run some bleach and sanitize your entire system? Let it set awhile, dump the grey and black tanks and run 10 gallons of "bleached" water into both tanks and drive around to slosh the sides. Then dump all three tanks and drain the lines. You are then ready for the next time of use and no worries about freezing or critters growing anywhere.
What is the best way to get bleach into the fresh water tank?
Blog: bailey18.com
AllanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 10:25 AM   #7

If you don not have a gravity fill then just put the bleach in the water hose after connecting one end and before you connect the other. Turn on the faucet and let the water push the bleach into the tank.

We seldom drain the tank in the summer but we seldom let it sit for 6 weeks. If it freezes in Phoenix your problem will one of the smaller one's. Even so I think I'd drain most and push some bleach into what was left. Run the faucets to get the mix to the drain and call it good. When I got back top off the fresh tank and run the new water through the pipes to flush out the strong bleach.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 10:37 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by HikesInRain View Post
If there's even the slightest chance of freezing, I'd empty the tank. I'd probably do it even if there weren't, to keep mold, bacteria and other slimy things from growing in the stagnant water. You can use it to flush your black and grey tanks; just open the faucets. Or, there should be a tank drain valve near the tank that'll dump it on the ground. No environmental issues with that, since it's drinking water. Mine won't dr
ain the tank completely unless the coach is on a downhill slope toward the drain.
Draining the fresh tank will offer zero freeze protection but in Phoenix I wouldn't be concerned.
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 11:27 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanK View Post
What is the best way to get bleach into the fresh water tank?
What nothermark said works well. I have a gravity fill, but have also just poured bleach in to an empty hose and forced it into the coach with fresh water. The chances of freezing in Phoenix in the next six weeks is very unlikely. I would remove the water filter for this process. Your system might not need sanitizing, but it can't hurt and gives peace of mind for the next trip. Good luck
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 04:04 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Had our coach for 10 years now, never had to empty the fresh water as it winters in FL. I have sanitized it twice in that period by adding 1/3 cup of sodium hypochlorite (bleach). It always gets filled from a municipal source that is chlorinated. Never had a problem. I dry camp once a year and that pretty much empties the fresh water tank. I run it at 1/3 full most of the time as 3 months of the year I am hooked to a FL campground city-supplied water source.

HEY, I just hit 1000 posts! How about that!
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 04:25 PM   #11

Waste of water to dump it. What do you think happens to city reservoirs or home owners cisterns? Does lake water go bad?
Old 11-10-2018, 06:15 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezolen View Post
Waste of water to dump it. What do you think happens to city reservoirs or home owners cisterns? Does lake water go bad?

If it sits in a closed plastic container for six weeks? Yes. Yes it does.
WyCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 06:20 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Exactly. We sanitize our fresh tank every season and have never had any problem with water "going bad."
Old 11-10-2018, 06:27 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
We use a cistern where we live and put a chloro tablet (swimming pool tablet) every month.

In the coach we empty the fresh water if being stored or empty for over 2 weeks and re sanitize it when we take it out again. Why take a chance.

Grey and Black always empty before storage.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, tank, water