Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2022, 06:36 PM   #1

ABS. aTC

We have an 04 holiday rambler imperial m-40pdq with 400 Cummins and driving home (30 miles) after driving about 5 miles the abs light came on briefly then went off. I drove a couple more miles and the light came on and stayed on. I stopped for fuel and when I got back on the road the light stayed off for about 3 miles then was intermittent for the remainder of the trip(7-8 miles). The ATC light also flickered on a couple of times. Driving conditions was temp mid 40s with light rain. Anybody have an idea what could be the problem? Is this something that requires immediate attention? Could it be related to wet driving conditions?
B2walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2022, 06:45 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I've never seen mine come on in any rain, even heavy downpours.

Check your manual for a way to check for ABS codes.

Check to see if you have an ABS diagnostic board in the front drivers side electrical bay outside under the window. Mine is located on the lower left side. It looks like this http://www.nwrvsupply.com/product/16614041.html

If you have a module like this you can retrieve ABS codes. Without the codes it's difficult to trouble shoot.

It's a long shot but you could try changing fuel filters. If they are partially blocked it can cause the engine to stumble and the ATC/ABS lights may flicker.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 08:42 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Years ago, with our 2005 Diplomat, they were replacing the highway in front of the campground where we were staying in Jackson Hole. On the day we departed it was wet and muddy. About two three miles down the road, the ABS/ATC light came on.

We stopped in a dry area, and I got out a spray nozzle and washed the back of all four wheels where the sensors are located. (It's been a long time and I don't recall if there were front sensors.) There is a ring where a sensor sits close and senses the ring going around.

Since it was rainy, I would take a shot at pressure washing the back side of those wheels and sensors.

Check the sensors for connections, debris and rust.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 05:16 AM   #4

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Do you have Owners Manual? If not, you can get a .pdf version in this link:
https://www.holidayrambler.com/owners-manuals/

Starting p. 437 has instructions how to retrieve and clear the ABS codes.
It helps to have an assistant on this as you need to turn on the ignition and apply and release the brakes in this process. May need to repeat this several times if you miss a step.
The module is in the front electrical bay (driver side).

I had to clear the codes couple years ago. The manual does not however say much about the actual fault codes and you'd have to call Eaton. I just cleared the codes and it's bee fine ever since.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2004 Imperial ABS module location.JPG
Views:	10
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	354425  
Old 01-22-2022, 08:05 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowflyer1 View Post
Do you have Owners Manual? If not, you can get a .pdf version in this link:
https://www.holidayrambler.com/owners-manuals/

Starting p. 437 has instructions how to retrieve and clear the ABS codes.
It helps to have an assistant on this as you need to turn on the ignition and apply and release the brakes in this process. May need to repeat this several times if you miss a step.
The module is in the front electrical bay (driver side).

I had to clear the codes couple years ago. The manual does not however say much about the actual fault codes and you'd have to call Eaton. I just cleared the codes and it's bee fine ever since.

This is the same as mine. I check my ABS codes by myself without a problem. But make sure when you press the button on the module you do it for LESS THEN 2 seconds, longer causes a problem.

Once you get the codes report back and we can decipher.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 11:21 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Years ago, with our 2005 Diplomat, they were replacing the highway in front of the campground where we were staying in Jackson Hole. On the day we departed it was wet and muddy. About two three miles down the road, the ABS/ATC light came on.

We stopped in a dry area, and I got out a spray nozzle and washed the back of all four wheels where the sensors are located. (It's been a long time and I don't recall if there were front sensors.) There is a ring where a sensor sits close and senses the ring going around.

Since it was rainy, I would take a shot at pressure washing the back side of those wheels and sensors.

Check the sensors for connections, debris and rust.

I think I will try that. We were in some mud so it may be impacting the sensors(wherever they are)
B2walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 12:11 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by B2walker View Post
I think I will try that. We were in some mud so it may be impacting the sensors(wherever they are)
Just pressure wash the back side of each wheel assembly. At the time, I used a 5/8" garden hose hooked to my high-pressure, high-volume water pump to get them clean. A small electric pressure washer would do well.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
abs