Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-29-2018, 01:39 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
04 Dynasty 400 ISL with side radiator...88K miles, 45,000 lbs, 65-67 mph, 7 mpg. Something is not right unless you are running 75+ mph.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2018, 01:54 PM   #16

We have an '05 Mandalay 40e with the 400 ISL. Haven't had it very long, but get about 8 mpg so far. You might also check to see if your fan controller is operating correctly. If it does not work properly, then the fan will run on high constantly. That happened on our previous coach and dropped the mpg down almost 2mpg. Also agree to check all filters and turbo. Even at 75 mph, you should get better fuel mileage.
Old 08-29-2018, 04:29 PM   #17

Oakcreekeric said, "If you haven't "serviced" your RV since owning it.. a good start would be to take it to a Cummins dealership and have them perform a complete maintenance - baseline it if you will.. then you can see if there are improvements and the technician will have all the basics out of the way and then can concentrate on narrowing down where your problem could be."

Thanks for your kind response. My MH was serviced at I-State Truck Center just before I bought it. They go over everything pretty thoroughly and charge $1100. I had the same service done this spring. I told them about the poor mileage and asked them to check the settings. The mechanic reset the information center that was reporting the mileage, now that doesn't work right. It doesn't report bad mileage anymore either . Unfortunately, the mileage by calculation is just as bad. I think I'll take it to a Cummins center as you suggested and let them take a crack at it.
Pdvitalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 04:36 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivylog View Post
04 Dynasty 400 ISL with side radiator...88K miles, 45,000 lbs, 65-67 mph, 7 mpg. Something is not right unless you are running 75+ mph.
I do have a heavy foot and drive 5 to 10 over the speed limit but it always gets 4.5 no matter what the conditions, long trips, short trips, stop and go or highway.
Old 08-29-2018, 04:39 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
I have found many times the first place to look for bad mileage is between the drivers ears. If you have a big horse that can keep up with traffic, and flog it to prove it you got to feed it.
But your injectors could be leaking.
I usually flog it but I have taken a variety of trips and have intentionally taken it easy for a tank. It doesn't impact the mileage at all; it's stuck at 4.5.
Old 08-29-2018, 04:47 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Dragging a brake?
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 06:09 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjnt View Post
Yes that does seem low. Our older coach gets anywhere from 7.5-9 mpg. Right now the silverleaf is sitting on 8.5. I wouldn't know where to start but maybe have it scanned by cummins? Does the ecm state any problems? Tire inflation? Lots of variables but yes that seems low.
Same here, 8.5 MPG for us. Wonder if OP is burning too rich and experiencing a lot of black smoke.
MO Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 07:52 PM   #22

Something else to consider, and it’s something I have firsthand experience with.

Check the electronic fan control. If the controller has failed, it’s “fail safe” mode is to run the hydraulically powered radiator fan at max speed all the time. Running that big fan at 100% speed 100% of the time will keep your engine nice and cool, but it will cost you 1 mpg.

Guess how I know that... [emoji6]
A Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 09:42 PM   #23

Texas Boomers Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
what is the boost level at 60/1500 rpm in 6th with no toad on level road? IT should be close to 5 psi, 7 at most. If you cant pull 40K lbs with an ISL425 on less than 6psi its not making the power it should. Start with all filters. Then come back. And do a distance traveled divided by fuel fill volume calc just to make sure.

My ISC gets 9.3 to 9.7 at 60 with notoad - 30K lbs and 6psi on level ground.
Old 08-29-2018, 10:22 PM   #24

American Coach Owners Club
I have a 2008 American Eagle 42F, with a 425HP ISL engine. Coach weighs 39,000 pounds. It gets 5.7mpg.
AE Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 11:47 PM   #25

2002 43' 500hp ism = 7.5mpg driving the speed limit on most highways.
something is wrong if you are below 7mpg.
First: Exactly how are you calculating mileage?

It's not dragging brakes...they would have smoked a long time ago.
Old 08-30-2018, 07:22 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Mark View Post
Quincy, the original poster has an '08 coach that has a DPF (diesel particulate filter), so he will not have black smoke at all as that is what the DPF is for. It will capture all the particulate then it will burn it off during a regen cycle.

To the OP, our previous coach was a '08 Dynasty that had the 425 ISL Cummins. We weighed in at 40,039 lbs. and got over 7.0-7.5 mpg on a regular basis. We put almost 70,000 miles on that coach over a 7.5 yr. period and no trouble with the DPF.

Our coach would regen about every 8,000-10,000 miles.

You should have the coach checked out to make everything is OK as the mileage is low.

Good luck and safe travels,
Mark
Thank you for the info Mr. Mark. That means it will be harder to tell if the motor is running too fat or not. JMHO I think that 4.5mpg is not a result of poor driving habits or under inflated tires. I don't see those things dropping the mpg that much.

It will be interesting to find out what the end result of it all is.
Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 07:27 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdvitalis View Post
Oakcreekeric said, "If you haven't "serviced" your RV since owning it.. a good start would be to take it to a Cummins dealership and have them perform a complete maintenance - baseline it if you will.. then you can see if there are improvements and the technician will have all the basics out of the way and then can concentrate on narrowing down where your problem could be."

Thanks for your kind response. My MH was serviced at I-State Truck Center just before I bought it. They go over everything pretty thoroughly and charge $1100. I had the same service done this spring. I told them about the poor mileage and asked them to check the settings. The mechanic reset the information center that was reporting the mileage, now that doesn't work right. It doesn't report bad mileage anymore either . Unfortunately, the mileage by calculation is just as bad. I think I'll take it to a Cummins center as you suggested and let them take a crack at it.
I am sorry to say this but I think they owe you 1100 bucks. I still think it may not be going into "closed loop" mode.
Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 08:45 AM   #28

Getting A diesel to just run rich is a challenge.

Sure a few injectors or a badly clogged air filter will contribute to a rich condition, along with a rough running engine, but since diesels don't have throttles and are open to all the air they can pump in, the only thing that controls engine RPM is fuel.

Inject more fuel and the engine goes faster. That's the basics of them.

In a good running diesel, only lugging it will cause black smoke, and since electronic fuel control, that's even been eliminated. They are programmed to not over fuel.

The OP should have a shop connect it up to a computer and get a performance readout. Then go from there.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote