Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2022, 11:54 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
AC Condensation Dripping Into RV, HELP!!!!!

I'm hoping one of you smart people can give me some advice. Background: I'm in a 1998 Fleetwood Pace Arrow, Class A. 2 Dometic Mach AC Units (RVP). The forward unit is dripping condensation through the AC filter onto the carpet inside the RV. I have already removed the drip pan, cleaned it out and seen the water running off the side of the RV. It's fine for a while then it happens again. I'm tired of taking it apart to make sure the drip pan weep holes are clear. I'm doing this over and over again. I believe this is all you can do, just wanted to know if anyone else has ideas. Thanks in advance.
Qstaar17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2022, 12:12 PM   #2

I'd think your in need of a new gasket between the roof and the A/C unit ; or the mount bolts of the A/C unit are loose , and the gasket isn't properly held down .

Check your roof unit installation manual for torque specs and possible gasket part numbers.
Old 05-09-2022, 01:16 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qstaar17 View Post
I'm hoping one of you smart people can give me some advice. Background: I'm in a 1998 Fleetwood Pace Arrow, Class A. 2 Dometic Mach AC Units (RVP). The forward unit is dripping condensation through the AC filter onto the carpet inside the RV. I have already removed the drip pan, cleaned it out and seen the water running off the side of the RV. It's fine for a while then it happens again. I'm tired of taking it apart to make sure the drip pan weep holes are clear. I'm doing this over and over again. I believe this is all you can do, just wanted to know if anyone else has ideas. Thanks in advance.
Is it SUPPOSED to drain off the side? Many have a condensate drain line that is meant to be primary path to drain and those clog up easily over the years.
Old 05-09-2022, 02:39 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjack View Post
Is it SUPPOSED to drain off the side? Many have a condensate drain line that is meant to be primary path to drain and those clog up easily over the years.

X2. If you do have a drain line low pressure air should clear it
40' Tag Axle Quad slide CCI #11811
16 Jeep Wrangler, Airforce One
gnvrvin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 03:02 PM   #5

Hi Qstaar17; By any chance are you talking about water dripping inside due to rain on the roof, or water dripping inside while running the A/C? When in Florida in 2010 was up in the panhandle and the humidity was almost 90%. I had the fan in the auto position on the thermostat and we had Dometic Penguin units. After running the A/C for a while water started dripping out of unit onto the floor. Asked my brother in law who was traveling with us in his RV and he had the same thing happening to him. He went and read the instructions for the Dometic and it was mentioned that in high humid areas that water/ humidity, could accumulate on the evaporator, freeze and then thaw fast enough for water to drip from the A/C unit. The instructions were run the fan on high to stop the water dripping. Did just that. Took the thermostat off auto for the fan and set the fan on HIGH. It worked. No more drip. Apparently you need more air volume moving across the evaporator to stop the water from dripping from the unit. Just thought I would share what worked for us. Good luck!
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 06:13 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Check the following....
Is the evaporator coil clean and the pan clean? When were the units cleaned?
Check the evaporator pan drain hole.
Remove the inside air diffuser and tighten each of the 4 hold down bolts 1/2 to 1 full turn and no more. You do not want to over compress the gasket.

If it still leaks water in, you will need to remove the unit and thoroughly clean it. When re-installing, use a new gasket and tighten per the manufacturer's instructions, but to not compress the gasket more than 1/2 of its original thickness. DO NOT use any caulk on the A/C gasket. It has a sticky side, and this goes against the unit to hold it in place while positioning the unit.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 07:45 PM   #7

Hold on; IMO the first thing to do is inspect the return air plenum/ chilled air duct divider to insure it is not leaking chilled air into the return air plenum. This causes condensation in the return air area, which then drips back inside the RV. This procedure is designed to happen within the roof-top unit where there are drains to handle the water.

As to drain lines on the roof, I doubt your year coach came with A/C drain lines in the roof.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 07:17 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
I'd think your in need of a new gasket between the roof and the A/C unit ; or the mount bolts of the A/C unit are loose , and the gasket isn't properly held down .

Check your roof unit installation manual for torque specs and possible gasket part numbers.
It’s AC condensation. Rain water doesn’t get in but I’m willing to try everything. I will do as you said thanks.
Old 05-10-2022, 07:20 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjack View Post
I wonder about this drain line but it has a drip pan with holes on each side and the water comes out the holes to the side of the RV when functioning properly. Thanks for responding.
Old 05-10-2022, 07:26 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Hold on; IMO the first thing to do is inspect the return air plenum/ chilled air duct divider to insure it is not leaking chilled air into the return air plenum. This causes condensation in the return air area, which then drips back inside the RV. This procedure is designed to happen within the roof-top unit where there are drains to handle the water.

As to drain lines on the roof, I doubt your year coach came with A/C drain lines in the roof.
Right all I have is a drip pan and the water runs off the roof to the ground. I will educate myself on this return air plenum. To see if this is the problem. Thanks for responding.
Old 05-10-2022, 07:36 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Check the following....
Is the evaporator coil clean and the pan clean? When were the units cleaned?
Check the evaporator pan drain hole.
Remove the inside air diffuser and tighten each of the 4 hold down bolts 1/2 to 1 full turn and no more. You do not want to over compress the gasket.

If it still leaks water in, you will need to remove the unit and thoroughly clean it. When re-installing, use a new gasket and tighten per the manufacturer's instructions, but to not compress the gasket more than 1/2 of its original thickness. DO NOT use any caulk on the A/C gasket. It has a sticky side, and this goes against the unit to hold it in place while positioning the unit.

Ken
I cleaned the coil recently with spray cleaner. The drip pan has been cleaned multiple times, this is the only thing I know to do. Can the gasket allow condensation into the rv or does it just keep the rain out? I was under the understanding that it keeps the rain out. I did replace it but had to tear one corner to get it on because I can find where the wires go but not where the cord that looks like a plug goes in order to pull it. So I can’t keep the integrity of the 14-14 gasket unless I trace the cord into the RV. ThankYou for your detailed response.
Old 05-10-2022, 08:32 AM   #12

We had an issue with ours doing the same thing when using the heat pump setting. Found out that the pan had holes in it. Sealed the pan and it does not leak now. You might have a look at the pan itself.
Old 05-10-2022, 09:10 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qstaar17 View Post
Can the gasket allow condensation into the rv or does it just keep the rain out? I was under the understanding that it keeps the rain out. I did replace it but had to tear one corner to get it on because I can find where the wires go but not where the cord that looks like a plug goes in order to pull it. So I can’t keep the integrity of the 14-14 gasket unless I trace the cord into the RV. ThankYou for your detailed response.
If the gasket is bad, it can let the water that drains onto the roof leak back into the RV.

In order to replace a gasket, you will need to disconnect the wires to lift the unit off. What brand A/C do you have? On ours, you take off two wing nuts that secure the control board and then unplug the unit from the control board. Let the control board hang down. You also need to remove the freeze-stat that is sticking into the evaporator coil fins.

But you never cut the 14" x 14" gasket to shirt cut removing the unit.

Here is video to remove a Coleman A/C unit. You can also find videos on Dometic and others.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 09:33 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8.3Oilbuner View Post
Hi Qstaar17; By any chance are you talking about water dripping inside due to rain on the roof, or water dripping inside while running the A/C? When in Florida in 2010 was up in the panhandle and the humidity was almost 90%. I had the fan in the auto position on the thermostat and we had Dometic Penguin units. After running the A/C for a while water started dripping out of unit onto the floor. Asked my brother in law who was traveling with us in his RV and he had the same thing happening to him. He went and read the instructions for the Dometic and it was mentioned that in high humid areas that water/ humidity, could accumulate on the evaporator, freeze and then thaw fast enough for water to drip from the A/C unit. The instructions were run the fan on high to stop the water dripping. Did just that. Took the thermostat off auto for the fan and set the fan on HIGH. It worked. No more drip. Apparently you need more air volume moving across the evaporator to stop the water from dripping from the unit. Just thought I would share what worked for us. Good luck!
This is GREAT info! I had the very problem just over a year ago. We were camping in NC and it was raining and humidity was through the roof when suddenly water started dripping from A/C unit. Checked everything, cleaned drains and could find nothing wrong. I always run fans in Auto, so I will take note and in the future, turn them up on HIGH during periods of high humidity.

Just gotta Love iRV2.com
2001 Country Coach Intrigue "Chef's Getaway" #11199
dfuelman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
condensation