Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2022, 11:39 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Ac filter location

We owe a 2007 newmar kountry star and are looking to clean the air filters for the roof top units. Are the filters under the caps that cover the ac units. There is nothing inside the Rv on the ceiling as many videos show. It’s very frustrating.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2022, 12:04 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnc58 View Post
We owe a 2007 newmar kountry star and are looking to clean the air filters for the roof top units. Are the filters under the caps that cover the ac units. There is nothing inside the Rv on the ceiling as many videos show. It’s very frustrating.
No, you don't access them from the roof.

Possibly the previous owner removed them and didn't replace. Post a picture of your return air grill in your ceiling.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 12:43 PM   #3

windsorbill is correct. The filters should be inside the coach, and likely held in place by the grill/screen you see at the return air "vent". The filter MAY have been just a piece of fiberglass mesh, OR non-woven glass fibers. I would google the make and model of the AC unit(s) to determine what and where it should be.
edgray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 01:06 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
I only have air ducts on the ceiling. Could the filter be behind inside https://www.irv2.com/forums/attachme...1&d=1660158233
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	186F9763-427F-4584-82A0-7F8E367F08F8.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	170.8 KB
ID:	373244  
Old 08-10-2022, 02:34 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
If yours is set up like Tiffins, one side of the coach is intake and the other is output. Behind the grilles on the intake side there should be foam filters that you can wash to clean. If there aren't any, a previous owner may have removed them. If you need replacements, one of the sponsors here on IRV2 is RV Air with filters in all sizes.
https://rvair.com/rv-ac-filter-repla...mpaign=Feb2022
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 04:16 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnc58 View Post
I only have air ducts on the ceiling. Could the filter be behind inside https://www.irv2.com/forums/attachme...1&d=1660158233
If that is the only things on the ceiling, then what Lt Dan mentions in his Tiffin is likely what you might have. Return and supply ducts should be on opposite sides of coach (or front and back), not right next to each other.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 05:05 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
All set thank you all for information

I had to order circular filters that fit inside the intake ducts. The previous owner must have removed all of them
Old 08-11-2022, 05:13 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Wow, why would anyone remove an air filter from an AC unit an not replace it. besides blowing dust and stuff all around, clogging up the unit.
Old 08-11-2022, 09:05 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Our MH had some of the out vents (vs the return air vents) fitted with the filters. I think some people just don't understand how the system works.

Sent from my SM-G973U using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Old 08-13-2022, 01:02 AM   #10

Since you not sure under the covers. I can assume you have not been under your AC covers. You may want to inspect and clean the condenser coils. I found bird nest a under mine. The organic mater started to attract aluminum fins a bit. There is special cleaning fluids if they are very dirty. In my area cottonwood trees can really cause an issue ,it's easily blown off when dry and fresh.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 07:36 PM   #11

Lt Dan is correct. Newmar has two rows of those vents the length of the coach. One side is for the air plenum going to the AC. You need to pull down while twisting the little grills to remove and put a round foam filter on each of them on that side. Then just put the grills with the attached filters (which just sit on the grill "posts") back in.

There is a recent thread in the Newmar Owners forum regarding these filters that might be worth a read before you decide what to buy.

Frankly I hate this system. Those little foam pads get dirty pretty fast and it's a pain to be pulling them all down to clean frequently. I keep a couple replacement vents on hand because they aren't that hard to break if your fingers are thicker than a pencil. I long for the days when I had basement AC with one 16x20 home air filter.
Old 08-15-2022, 08:04 AM   #12

Cleaning the AC Evap coil up on the roof

WOW...if those ducks don't have any filters in them your evap coil up top on the roof is probably really clogged up. Even if they did have filters you should clean the evap coil once a year so you have good air flow thru the AC unit. Here's a video I found on how to do that:
mr.tommy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, location